The future of Australian Basketball feat. Thon Maker

TheGreatBarryB

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Texans, Astros, Leeds
There is a difference between jacking up 10,000 shots in the practice facility and taking shots in game.

Plenty of nba guys have been jacking up 1000’s of shots in game for years because they get trapped in a stagnant half court offense and have no other move other than catch, iso or dribble pull up.

Simmons can get into the lane and make a bucket or pass pretty much at will. Every time he takes a shot it’s a lower percentage play than getting into the lane. So he has gone the smart move for his team even if it’s not the best way to develop long term for him.

It’s gonna take years of taking shots at nba level to catch up shooting wise. It ain’t gonna happen overnight. He will likely develop a shot around 3-4 years from now.

The good news. He will only be around 25- 27 then not even near his prime and players who can shoot don’t suddenly develop the passing ability or size or ability to get into the lane Simmons has.
“Score at will”? Did you watch the Celtics playoff series?

This season he’s struggling to score at the rim and penetrate off the dribble. Teams leave him open at the perimeter and he still refuses to shoot when it’s clearly the best option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy Mastenator

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m more concerned over Simmons now, then I was previously. Starting to look like he’ll need a team built specifically for him to excel, rather than to make any team excel.

Fact he often straight up refuses to shoot jumpers is disturbing.

gcsunsfc

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Bolden, Deng, Humphries debut in the G League

Bolden: 28 points (3/8 from 3), 14 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks, 3 TO

Deng: 17 points (2/2 from 3), 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 block

Humphries: 2 games
14 points, 9 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal
8 points, 5 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, 2 blocks

all would have to be happy with their starts

JT_the_Man

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LCFC, LAL, Stars, 49ers, Canadiens
Bolden, Deng, Humphries debut in the G League

Bolden: 28 points (3/8 from 3), 14 boards, 5 assists, 3 blocks, 3 TO

Deng: 17 points (2/2 from 3), 3 boards, 2 assists, 1 block

Humphries: 2 games
14 points, 9 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal
8 points, 5 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals, 2 blocks

all would have to be happy with their starts
Bolden is going to be a player.

That’s one I’m confident about.

RookiePick

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I really hope Bolden gets a shot at the big time.

Watching Blake bully Ben was pretty epic. Ben looked a bit shell shocked

JT_the_Man

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Jack White is travelling alright. Can’t see him making the NBA anytime soon, but he played 30 mins off the bench for Duke today and was one point away from a double-double with 9 points and 11 rebounds.

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
Jonah Bolden is gonna be part of an NBA team playing minutes off the bench sometime soon. Great potential as a stretch 4 which the league covets these days.
Played some solid bench minutes yesterday and you'd think the Butler trade opens up more minutes with the Sixers moving Saric and Covington.

gcsunsfc

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Mitch Creek also playing well in the G league

22 mins: 8 points, 3 reb, 3 assists
37 mins: 10 points, 15 reb, 4 assists, 1 steal
36 mins: 17 points, 11 reb, 5 assists, 4 steal

44% from the field
0/4 from 3
3 TO a game

AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Jack White is travelling alright. Can’t see him making the NBA anytime soon, but he played 30 mins off the bench for Duke today and was one point away from a double-double with 9 points and 11 rebounds.
So much talent at Duke with Zion Williamson showing no mercy to other teams. White will have to take a backseat to him but nice to see him do the dirty work.

JT_the_Man

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So much talent at Duke with Zion Williamson showing no mercy to other teams. White will have to take a backseat to him but nice to see him do the dirty work.
Yeah, the fact is Duke have 3 players who could potentially go 1-2-3 in this years draft, along with another likely to go in the first round, so he was always going to have to take a back seat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gcsunsfc

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Thon came in and with Pat Connaughton really turned things around for the Bucks after they got behind by 15 in the 3rd Quarter.
Hit a 3
Had 2 blocks
Really brought some energy.

Doesn't look like he'll be a top 10 pick worthy player but given his skill set think there is a role for him in the NBA going forward.

Gigantic

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Liverpool, Phoenix Suns
Good to see Jack White getting some significant playing time in a star-studded

GC2015

All Australian
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Are people aware that Josh Green was once in GWS's academy? Which club did he play footy for in west Sydney?

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Are people aware that Josh Green was once in GWS's academy? Which club did he play footy for in west Sydney?
No, didn't know that. Interesting.
Glad he chose B-ball, seems like he's our next elite talent. Is he playing for IMG acadmey this year ? When does he begin playing for Arizona ? How is he going for IMG this season, I find impossible to keep up to date as to how he's tracking.
Are there any other top end talents that we can expect to come on in the next few seasons ?
How long is Jonah out for ?

GC2015

All Australian
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My understanding was he was offered but never actually joined the academy?
According to this reference, he accepted the invitation to join the academy and was "the No. 1 prospect in his age group" as a footballer before moving to the US. So yes, I figure he never actually took part in the academy program but intended to. Anyone have any idea where he played junior football?

peternorth

Facts Machine
AFL Club
Richmond
Moderator #3,245
I enjoyed the boomers v iran game last night. It was a family friendly atmosphere.

We lack bigs. Is bogut retired? jawai isnt upto it.

Irans guards put pressure on our guys with a run penetrating aggressive runs. I found our guards dribbled in, then stopped and passed back or sideways. We need someone with handles who can split defences.

Our D overall was really good. Active. Especially given we're undersized, and Irans big guys are massive.

Easy win

GC2015

All Australian
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No, didn't know that. Interesting.
Glad he chose B-ball, seems like he's our next elite talent. Is he playing for IMG acadmey this year ? When does he begin playing for Arizona ? How is he going for IMG this season, I find impossible to keep up to date as to how he's tracking.
Are there any other top end talents that we can expect to come on in the next few seasons ?
How long is Jonah out for ?
I believe he's a senior at the IMG Academy this year and has committed to play college ball with Arizona next year. At this point, they are predicting that Josh will be a top 10 NBA draft pick in 2020. Fingers crossed his draft commitments don't prevent him from competing in the 2020 Olympics for us!

Another talented junior footballer lost to basketball (which I'm personally disappointed about) is Tamuri Wigness. My team, the Suns, were scouting him while he was playing junior football for the Cairns Hawks with the hopes of placing him in our academy but he chose to give up footy a few years ago to pursue basketball instead. I have a strong feeling he could have been another standout indigenous small forward in the vein of Cyril Rioli or Eddie Betts but my team was not able to convince him to continue with football. Having said that, we were able to convince another talented junior basketballer from Cairns named Alex Davies to move to the Gold Coast and pursue football next year so I suppose it's a case of 'you win some, you lose some'. It'll be hard to watch Wigness when he eventually makes it to the NBA though. Here's a video of Tamuri talking about his football background and the similarities between the two sports:

matthew_s

Team Captain
AFL Club
West Coast
I enjoyed the boomers v iran game last night. It was a family friendly atmosphere.

We lack bigs. Is bogut retired? jawai isnt upto it.

Irans guards put pressure on our guys with a run penetrating aggressive runs. I found our guards dribbled in, then stopped and passed back or sideways. We need someone with handles who can split defences.

Our D overall was really good. Active. Especially given we're undersized, and Irans big guys are massive.

Easy win
Brandt and Bogut opted to rest, I think we’re okay big-wise. It was good to see us quality for next years World Cup.

Top Bottom