Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

I only watched the first quarter but Landale had good minutes in the 1st. I was impressed, not much in the stats but he did a lot of work in the areas that don't get recognition.

Bodied Jokic and brought some physicality, looked like he was in to wear him down. Defended and switched well, ran the court nicely and laid some contact to clear space under the basket on offense.

I genuinely don't get wht you wouldn''t run a pick and roll offence with him as the screener, especially at international level

For sure. If Ben goes up off the roll at the rim as well as kicking out / short roll passing then we’re good.

He wasn’t doing much of attacking the rim this year tho so probably best to have low expectations and hope for the best.

It begins. 18-man squad, no Simmons. I guess the other main notable omissions are probably Baynes and Sobey, since they were in Tokyo.

My main concerns when selecting a side are whether we have enough size and shooting in the lineup. Ultimately it's left Jack White as the unlucky odd man out here, as I feel an extra shooter is more valuable and without having seen him play recently I'd say Kay has credits in the bank to retain his spot. Backup C is interchangeable for Reath/Pinder/Humphries etc., not sure what our best option is there.

Giddey
Mills
Green
Kay
Landale

Exum
Daniels
Ingles
Thybulle
Maker

Goulding
Cooks
Based on the selected squad nothing really changes for me. Still a three-sided coin to decide between Maker/Reath/Pinder. Cooks/White could probably go either way, but I'll lean towards the NBL MVP. Delly is the one I'm curious to see what they do with. I wouldn't pick him, but I can see why they would.

For sure. If Ben goes up off the roll at the rim as well as kicking out / short roll passing then we’re good.

He wasn’t doing much of attacking the rim this year tho so probably best to have low expectations and hope for the best.
Having said that it seems like his back had the strength of cooked spaghetti so can't do much attacking when like that. SO many questions on him at the moment. How much was the injury and how much was between the ears. Hopefully if he's back fit a lot of the other stuff resolves itself.

It begins. 18-man squad, no Simmons. I guess the other main notable omissions are probably Baynes and Sobey, since they were in Tokyo.

Baynes looked fried at NBL level. That injury was the final straw it appears. He's 36 as well.

Sobey. Meh. Giddey, Dyson, Green are all going to give more.

Baynes looked fried at NBL level. That injury was the final straw it appears. He's 36 as well.

Sobey. Meh. Giddey, Dyson, Green are all going to give more.
Yeah, it's not like I was worried about either. More just trying to pick out some guys they might've missed and not really coming up with anyone not named Simmons.

They were pretty close to nailing this squad imo.

edit: Probably could've called Luke Travers a notable omission as a recently drafted player and all that, not that I think he would've been anywhere close to selection anyway. More for the experience of being around the group.

Last edited:
So the extended squad is:
Xavier Cooks
Nick Kay
Dyson Daniels
Jock Landale
Matthew Dellavedova
Thon Maker
Dante Exum
Will McDowell-White
Sam Froling
Patty Mills
Josh Giddey
Keanu Pinder
Chris Goulding
Duop Reath
Josh Green
Matisse Thybulle
Joe Ingles
Jack White

Pretty strong squad to pick from.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, it's not like I was worried about either. More just trying to pick out some guys they might've missed and not really coming up with anyone not named Simmons.

They were pretty close to nailing this squad imo.

edit: Probably could've called Luke Travers a notable omission as a recently drafted player and all that, not that I think he would've been anywhere close to selection anyway. More for the experience of being around the group.
As you point out with Travers we have so many wings, it's hard to see what the point is.

Dunno if the below is true in regards to the rules for selection.
Goorjian has left the divisive talent out of the 18-man list announced on Monday, but can still include him in the final 12-man line-up for the August 25 opener in Japan if Simmons is declared fit and able.

Dunno if the below is true in regards to the rules for selection.
So it's almost a 19 man squad.

I'm assuming this means he won't be present for training camp though and maybe even the warm up matches, which is a bit of a red flag. I'd probably just leave him out if it's going to cause dramas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmons won’t play. Simmons and his management will use the injury as the excuse/reasoning and by not having him even named in the initial squad it avoids the drama later on of having him withdraw for the 100th time. He’ll be hoping it just fades away and people forget. The headlines now of “Simmons not named but will be added if healthy” sounds a lot better for him than “Simmons withdraws from squad” in a few months time.

You can’t tell me if someone like Mills or Giddey had the exact same injury and recovery timeframe as Simmons, where there was a chance of playing, that they wouldn’t just get named in the squad and cut/withdrawn at a later date if not recovered in time.

Simmons won’t play. Simmons and his management will use the injury as the excuse/reasoning and by not having him even named in the initial squad it avoids the drama later on of having him withdraw for the 100th time. He’ll be hoping it just fades away and people forget. The headlines now of “Simmons not named but will be added if healthy” sounds a lot better for him than “Simmons withdraws from squad” in a few months time.

You can’t tell me if someone like Mills or Giddey had the exact same injury and recovery timeframe as Simmons, where there was a chance of playing, that they wouldn’t just get named in the squad and cut/withdrawn at a later date if not recovered in time.
I'm hoping that because he isn't named he realises he can't just use his name to be automatically selected and he has to work and prove himself to get into this team. It has been noted that his "team" around him are enablers of his 'poor' attitude. If this non inclusion spurs him onwards to prove hismelf that is awesome, but there's a good chance he has a hissy fit and says * you to the boomers too sadly.

I'm hoping that because he isn't named he realises he can't just use his name to be automatically selected and he has to work and prove himself to get into this team. It has been noted that his "team" around him are enablers of his 'poor' attitude. If this non inclusion spurs him onwards to prove hismelf that is awesome, but there's a good chance he has a hissy fit and says * you to the boomers too sadly.

Sadly, I don’t feel that he doesn’t believe he isn’t an automatic walk up, nor does he feel he needs to prove himself in camp.

If he’s not fit enough to go to camp and work on his game with the squad, I don’t want him coming in as a late addition, that would do more harm than good imo.

Anyway, good looking squad, probably just wish we had another big banger inside.

Would have this as the 12 man squad:
Xavier Cooks*
Dyson Daniels*
Dante Exum
Josh Giddey*
Josh Green*
Joe Ingles*
Nick Kay
Jock Landale*
Thon Maker
Patty Mills*
Keanu Pinder
Matisse Thybulle*

So the extended squad is:
Xavier Cooks
Nick Kay
Dyson Daniels
Jock Landale
Matthew Dellavedova
Thon Maker
Dante Exum
Will McDowell-White
Sam Froling
Patty Mills
Josh Giddey
Keanu Pinder
Chris Goulding
Duop Reath
Josh Green
Matisse Thybulle
Joe Ingles
Jack White

Pretty strong squad to pick from.

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great squad

Thank God they didn;t give in to Simmons and name him. this is a big F U for the Olympics crap he pulled last min

Injury recovery time for that surgery is 12-18months. There have been reports that Ben came back too soon causing flair ups.

Recently has changed his manager. Narrative seems different since changing managers.

Recently has changed his manager. Narrative seems different since changing managers.
yep hopefully things are on the up , but he still needs to prove himself mentally and physically

Basketball Australia has given Ben Simmons a one-month ultimatum to commit to this year’s World Cup campaign as the Boomers look to continue their bronze medal momentum from the Tokyo Olympics.

Really thought Big Bad Baynger would at least get a camp invite. I know he's not what he was 2 years ago but he's still a point of difference, which is something we lack up front.

Back up big is definitely my biggest worry, and the selectors certainly seem to agree given the number of potential bigs they named in that squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back