Australian basketball.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Landale is having himself a moment. Mary's beat Gonzaga on the back of his big game, should be ranked by next week.

Will be very cool to see him in the tourney, asserting himself as a second-round pick.
I'd have to say there's 0 chance he's drafted. 10 years ago, may well have been, but he's 6'11 and doesn't block shots and doesn't stretch the floor. That's borderline unplayable at nba level with the way the game has gone. A poor mans Okafor.

Is playing awesomely though.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
I'd have to say there's 0 chance he's drafted. 10 years ago, may well have been, but he's 6'11 and doesn't block shots and doesn't stretch the floor. That's borderline unplayable at nba level with the way the game has gone. A poor mans Okafor.

If he wasn't putting up gaudy numbers I'd agree with you, but he's more than earned himself a consideration. The shooting seems non-existent because of team play, so that'll be something they'll look at when they get him to camps, and his DRtg is pretty solid this season.

Biggest factor against him is age.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker

Can he defend overall though?
Okafor cant play any defense.

Baynes doesnt block shots or stretch the floor...

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
If he wasn't putting up gaudy numbers I'd agree with you, but he's more than earned himself a consideration. The shooting seems non-existent because of team play, so that'll be something they'll look at when they get him to camps, and his DRtg is pretty solid this season.

Biggest factor against him is age.

If NBA teams are willing to discard a Greg Monroe type, they're probably not going to be lining up to draft this kid.

Could have a solid career in Europe, though.

Dante Exum is apparently due back mid march. Which probably means his rehab has gone well. Cant wait to see him back on court.

In other good news Slow Mo Joe Ingles scored a career high 23 points versus Hornets.
Should get some pretty good minutes too with Hood and Johnson gone.

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
If NBA teams are willing to discard a Greg Monroe type, they're probably not going to be lining up to draft this kid.

Could have a solid career in Europe, though.

Pretty significant difference from expecting a productive NBA career, to being drafted in the latter stages of the second round. Especially for a kid who is in the NPOY conversation.

splendidham

Team Captain
Aug 4, 2006
Tokyo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dante Exum is apparently due back mid march. Which probably means his rehab has gone well. Cant wait to see him back on court.

In other good news Slow Mo Joe Ingles scored a career high 23 points versus Hornets.

Can’t wait to see him back on the court. Probably my favorite of the aussies. He and DM will make for a lightning fast backcourt. Most importantly, clearly the Jazz haven’t lost faith in him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So apparently Ben said the following...

“I don’t really know what an All-Star is anymore,” Simmons said, per Keith Pompey of the Philadelphia Inquirer. “I mean if it was about win-lose, you picked (Goran) Dragic obviously, and you pick Kemba, whose team (Charlotte Hornets) is seven wins under us.

“It is what it is, but my stats don’t lie.”

How about worrying less about your stats and just next game. Seen him at times when here’s near a triple double actually contest with his teammate to grab a rebound.

I’ve been following him fairly closely and think a terrific player, but hopefully focuses more on team.

Aug 17, 2009
In the Country,VIC
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Phila 76ers , Phila Eagles , Man U
Lol. Ben is a team player. At times he is too much of a team player and needs to do it himself more.

What he said was actually spot on. They picked Dragic because the Heat had a good record yet when they had to pick another replacement they picked Walker who's team has a losing record. Although I actually think Kemba deserves to be in and Ben should've been in instead of Dragic.

Lol. Ben is a team player. At times he is too much of a team player and needs to do it himself more.

What he said was actually spot on. They picked Dragic because the Heat had a good record yet when they had to pick another replacement they picked Walker who's team has a losing record. Although I actually think Kemba deserves to be in and Ben should've been in instead of Dragic.
Yeah, I've got no issue with Walker. Dragic is baffling though.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
I do agree with Grant Hill.
Ben is having a great season, but it is rare for rookies to get into the ASG. He should just stay quiet and focus on his basketball, and he will be there pretty soon. (And all going well 10+ times)

At the same time though - this is the new era of the NBA when players take their gripes straight to social media... he is far from being alone here.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Landale is having himself a moment. Mary's beat Gonzaga on the back of his big game, should be ranked by next week.

Will be very cool to see him in the tourney, asserting himself as a second-round pick.
Landale has been awesome. Leading St Mary's to 18 straight wins until a recent loss. Talked about by some experts as being the best centre in college basketball. A solid March should guarantee at least a second round selection in my view. Is averaging over 22.5 points per game.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
A quick update on another Aussie in the NBA Mangok Mathiang. He is playing pretty well in the G Leage and averaging 11 points and 9 board a game while gaining praise from his coaches for his work ethic, hustle and team orientated play. Has the security of a two year two way contract from the Charlotte Hornets which he signed in August. What that means is that he can alternate between playing NBA games and the G League for the next two years. Another player who will be in consideration for the next World Champs and Olympics. Australia's big man depth is improving rapidly.

If anyone watched the last Olympics Joe Ingles struggled significantly with his shot in most games. If he was shooting the ball as well as he is now we would have medled for sure. He is currently second in the NBA for three point percentage and playing a key role in the recent Utah surge while having the best month of his career stats wise. Very excited by the Boomers prospects the next World champs and beyond.
My current starting five by the World Champs would be:
C: Aron Baynes for his defence and low post scoring.
PF defence Pg on offence Simmons
SF: Slo Mo Jo
SG: Dante Exum
PG: Mills

Bench:
C: T.Maker
PF/C: Bolden
Pg/sg Delly
sg Adel
sg/sf Broekhof
C: Landale
12th man M.Maker/Motum/Cooks or Mathiang

Another recent plus Thon Maker isn't starring but definitely showing improvement as the season goes on.

We could play the shuffle style offence that the Melbourne Tigers played when Andrew Gaze was there with so much play making on the court.

Last edited:
Back