Club Legend
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
bsimmons01_1.jpg

Ben Simmons

Ben Simmons 6'9" 230, SF/PF, Melbourne, Australia, Montverde Academy 2015 - Simmons took the U.S. high school basketball scene by storm by dominating the 2012 Pangos All American Camp. He moved to the United States this past year to suit up for Coach Kevin Boyle at Montverde Academy in Florida and did not disappoint, immediately helping them win the HS national championship. He's got SF skills and has grown in the past year into PF size. A smooth and skilled lefty who can do everything on the floor, Simmons has a soft left handed feathery touch from outside and can put the ball on the floor and get in the lane when he wants to. His passing ability for a kid his size is what sets him apart from his peers. With upperclassmen such as Kasey Hill, and D'Angelo Russell, Simmons took a backseat on a senior led Montverde team this past season, but will be the main focal point offensively which should allow him to grow into the role of more of an alpha dog that his talent suggests. If he stays focused and continues to work hard, he has a chance to be very special. NBA Comparison: Tracy McGrady

Strengths:
6'8 Aussie small forward with a versatile skill set ... High level athlete with a smoothness to his game ... Has a chance to be special ... Just turned 16 and already playing at an high level for high school age ... Lefty shooter with feathery touch and excellent release ... Grew up around the game, and shows a feel for the game that cannot be learned on the fly ... Adept at creating shots for himself and can spot up or pull up off the dribble ... Very good at creating offense for himself or others ... Has a tremendous basketball body with a big frame, wide shoulders, enormous hands and long arms ... Strong family background has made him a hard working kid with a strong work ethic ... High level vision and passing skills. His passing ability is rare for a forward ... Already 6'8 and his growth plates are still open. Could end up in the 6'10 range when all is said and done ... Great first step and knows how to use ball fakes to get his man off balance ... Shows the competitiveness to raise his level of play in clutch situations and when he's challenged ... Solid defender. Gets a low base. Good lateral speed. Stays in front of his man. Doesn't gamble ... Great maturity/composure. Rarely rushes things and gets out of control. ... Has avoided being coddled by the AAU scene ... His game is very advanced/complete for such a young player, doesn't have any glaring weaknesses ...

Weaknesses:
He's such an advanced player for his age, any defiencies are really nit picking at this point ... Plays almost too unselfish at times. Not a prolific scorer, yet. Should look to become more aggressive at creating shots for himself ... Needs to mature physically, but has a great body already and will only continue to get stronger. Just a baby at 16 so plenty of time for his body to get stronger ... Will need to be able to block out the hype and stay focused ... Can become better at moving without the ball. Learning to set his man up off of screnes and staying active ...

Notes: Plans to play college ball after high school, and possibly come over to the US for his senior year ... Broke onto the scene with a strong performance at the 2012 Pangos Camp gaining national attention in the US ... Has proven himself against the best high school players on numerous occaisions ... Grew up around basketball. Father, Dave Simmons, played in the NBL ... Has know countryman Dante Exum since he was 7 years old ...

dante-exum-fiba.jpg
Dante Exum
The #3 Ranked prospect on Draft Express and nbadraft.net
Strengths:
-Terrific size for a point guard
-Nice wingspan. Good frame
-Extremely smooth, fluid athlete with unbelievable body control
-Great first step
-Tremendous creativity with the ball in his hands
-Gets extremely low to ground on drives. Terrific ball-handler. Changes speeds. Super long strides make him tough to stay in front of. Rangy drives. Gets to basket off one dribble
-Puts huge pressure on the defense. Draws tons of fouls
-Superb in transition
-Finishes elegantly around the basket, sometimes from far outside the paint. Uses reverse moves effectively
-Can finish above the rim
-Creates effectively for others. Unselfish player
-Excellent feel for the game. Everything comes incredibly easy
-Solid rebounder for position

Weaknesses:
-Struggles to make shots from outside
-Shooting mechanics are poor
-Needs to improve his ability to drive and finish with his left hand
-Must get stronger. Gets pushed around on defense at times
-Still working on decision making skills in the half-court- when to score and when to distribute. Not quite a pure point guard yet

Notes:
Australian shooting guard Dante Exum is draft-eligible for 2014 and would open next season as one of the top prospects, but said “My gut tells me right now I’m going to college,” partly because he is intrigued by the idea of a run with a top U.S. program and partly because that would allow him to avoid the packed Class of ’14 led by Canadian phenom/incoming Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins. That would position Exum for 2015. The son of Cecil Exum, who won a national championship with North Carolina in 1982, has made one campus visit, to Indiana, and puts the Hoosiers at the top of his working list if he goes the NCAA route for 2014-15. He loves the college feel in Bloomington and the basketball tradition. He is also getting attention from a lot of other elite programs – mentioning Louisville, Kentucky and Michigan – so no decision is imminent.

Ben Simmons Videos:

Dante Exum Videos:​

Been following Ben's progress for a little while. He's from the same area as me and I had a few friends who played with him at Box Hill Senior.

A great talent and from all account a pretty level headed kid.

Along with himself, Dante Exum and a few others theres lots to be excited about with the future of Australian basketballers :thumbsu:

For those interested in Dante Exum, he's currently playing for the Australian under 19 team at the world champs in Prague.

Has recorded stat lines of 11-6-6 in 16 mins vs Senegal, 14-2-1 in 33 mins vs Serbia and 12-5-5 in 18 mins vs Brazil

Not sure of the reason why Simmons isn't over playing in the world's, not injured as far as I know.

Saw him at my club when I was 12, and there was big hype around him then. His old man was taking him from club to club before he settled at Knox.

Was going to play at my club again this season, but then he went to the States to play HS basketball.

Gun.

Not sure of the reason why Simmons isn't over playing in the world's, not injured as far as I know.

Back home right now playing in the VBL for Chelsea I believe. Using the American summer to come home to see family etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back home right now playing in the VBL for Chelsea I believe. Using the American summer to come home to see family etc.

Makes sense. Don't blame him for taking that time to see his family. It would of been great to have him at the u19 world champs though. That team made the gold medal match vs the US in 2012. Not having Ben there would hurt them this year.

Know it's Ben Simmons thread, but Dante Exum was being talked about as well....

Dante is currently putting on a bit of a show for the Aus under 19's vs Spain. According to some on twitter he looks a class above everyone else.

Wish I could change the name of the thread to 'Young Australian Basketball Prospects'

Hopefully that's a good thing.

You can change it, just edit your OP.

Done. Have now added A little profile for Dante Exum.

FYI everyone, none of the information is made by me, I have simply copy pasted it from other websites to make it easier for everyone :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back