Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Deng adel did ok for Toronto today
16 min
13 points 5/5 including a three
3 rebounds
1 stl
Nathan Sobey looked fantastic against Utah leading the 36ers with 25 points — 8-of-15 from the field and 3-of-6 from downtown —four rebounds, four assists, and four steals. Might yet find himself on an NBA roster before his career his over. Even against a nba team he looked athletic today. Definitely a contender for a place on the Boomers next World Champs and Olympic teams.
Bryce Cotton deserves a mention as he plays in Australia scoring 33point against Denver.

Nathan Sobey looked fantastic against Utah leading the 36ers with 25 points — 8-of-15 from the field and 3-of-6 from downtown —four rebounds, four assists, and four steals. Might yet find himself on an NBA roster before his career his over. Even against a nba team he looked athletic today. Definitely a contender for a place on the Boomers next World Champs and Olympic teams.
Bryce Cotton deserves a mention as he plays in Australia scoring 33point against Denver.

Wildcats were great, it only really got away from them in the last 5 mins. They were also missing Angus Brandt, I think he would have added some much needed size against the Nuggets

I suppose you're better off playing G League than you are in the playing in the NBL if you are chasing that NBA dream.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Delly and Maker are completely out of the rotation at Milwaukee. While I think Delly could be a dependable backup somewhere else, Maker is not suited to playing in the NBA.

Apart from the odd game where he's locked in, he looks completely lost on defense and doesn't get a look in on the offensive end unless he's left alone on the three. Looks like he won't be the next Kevin Garnett after all. Would be towards the end of the bench for the Boomers at this stage.

Simmo, Joe, Baynes and Exum have all started the season well. Here's hoping Exum is injury free this year and more confident on the ball.

So Delly and Maker are completely out of the rotation at Milwaukee. While I think Delly could be a dependable backup somewhere else, Maker is not suited to playing in the NBA.

Apart from the odd game where he's locked in, he looks completely lost on defense and doesn't get a look in on the offensive end unless he's left alone on the three. Looks like he won't be the next Kevin Garnett after all. Would be towards the end of the bench for the Boomers at this stage.

Simmo, Joe, Baynes and Exum have all started the season well. Here's hoping Exum is injury free this year and more confident on the ball.
Maker's shown way more than you are giving him credit for. Started in finals and has played some great games in finals as well. What a deadset moronic post Shifty in more ways than 1. I had League Pass and watched a lot of the Bucks v Boston series he was brilliant on defence, miles away from looking 'lost'. Lopez and Henson might not be superstars but they are very, very solid NBA players who you are being preffered to Thon at the moment. A trade seems a distinct possibility and I still think Thon can thrive at NBA level if given more playing time.

Miles off being last on the bench for the Boomers as well. I can still see our starting five being Simmons, Exum, Ingles, Baynes and Maker with Mills off the bench playing the same role he has played for the Spurs for so long. If you can play well in an NBA finals series against Boston decent chance you are better than a bench warmer for the Boomers FFS.

Last edited:
Maker's shown way more than you are giving him credit for. Started in finals and has played some great games in finals as well. What a deadset moronic post Shifty in more ways than 1. I had League Pass and watched a lot of the Bucks v Boston series he was brilliant on defence, miles away from looking 'lost'. Lopez and Henson might not be superstars but they are very, very solid NBA players who you are being preffered to Thon at the moment. A trade seems a distinct possibility and I still think Thon can thrive at NBA level if given more playing time.

Miles off being last on the bench for the Boomers as well. I can still see our starting five being Simmons, Exum, Ingles, Baynes and Maker with Mills off the bench playing the same role he has played for the Spurs for so long. If you can play well in an NBA finals series against Boston decent chance you are better than a bench warmer for the Boomers FFS.

Wow you had league pass. Well I do too and I watch all the games that the Aussies play in. I want Maker to be a success in the NBA; a regular starter but what I want and reality don't always align. Milwaukee took Maker on a flier at pick 10 with the hopes of developing him similar to what they did with Giannis. He had some great games in his first year (Detroit OT game, Toronto playoffs) and things were looking up for him. I don't know what happened during the 2017 off season, but he was terrible during the summer league and pre-season. Milwaukee still gave him the starting C role but he didn't show that much more than last regular season and gave up on him after 7 games and didn't even play 8 of the last 18.

He was great for games 3 and 4 of the Boston playoff series but didn't do much for the remaining three games and didn't play in the first two (1 min in the second game). Outside of those few games he does look lost. There's a reason Milwaukee don't trust him. He loses defensive assignments and is regularly out of position for rebounds. He also gets pushed around too easily by other centres. He hasn't exhibited any consistency and it'd be fine if he had 1 good game out of every 3 or 4 but his good games are once every blue moon.

Milwaukee need to win now given they have Giannis (and he's said he wants to win now) so went out and got Lopez, Ilyasova and Wood. He's now 5th in line at centre behind them and Henson. He didn't even get junk time minutes against the Pacers when they played 13. That's how far back he is. Maybe it's been his coaching or lack of physical development (core and legs) but he's not an NBA centre. Even his own fan base have given up on him. This is the same person Kevin Garnett said WILL be the MVP one day.

I agree he needs a trade to get some playing time but would need to be somewhere that is in re-build mode and can put minutes into him. Maybe Knicks (no one to back up Kanter) or Nets behind Allen.

He may get a start in the lineup for the Boomers but that's only because our starting big man options outside of Baynes are low. Bogut's at the tail end of his career, Bolden hasn't established himself in the NBA and Londale and Mathiang aren't in the mix as yet. Running something like Simmons, Exum, Mills/Delly, Ingles and Baynes would be interesting with Simmons guarding the PF.

Wow you had league pass. Well I do too and I watch all the games that the Aussies play in. I want Maker to be a success in the NBA; a regular starter but what I want and reality don't always align. Milwaukee took Maker on a flier at pick 10 with the hopes of developing him similar to what they did with Giannis. He had some great games in his first year (Detroit OT game, Toronto playoffs) and things were looking up for him. I don't know what happened during the 2017 off season, but he was terrible during the summer league and pre-season. Milwaukee still gave him the starting C role but he didn't show that much more than last regular season and gave up on him after 7 games and didn't even play 8 of the last 18.

He was great for games 3 and 4 of the Boston playoff series but didn't do much for the remaining three games and didn't play in the first two (1 min in the second game). Outside of those few games he does look lost. There's a reason Milwaukee don't trust him. He loses defensive assignments and is regularly out of position for rebounds. He also gets pushed around too easily by other centres. He hasn't exhibited any consistency and it'd be fine if he had 1 good game out of every 3 or 4 but his good games are once every blue moon.

Milwaukee need to win now given they have Giannis (and he's said he wants to win now) so went out and got Lopez, Ilyasova and Wood. He's now 5th in line at centre behind them and Henson. He didn't even get junk time minutes against the Pacers when they played 13. That's how far back he is. Maybe it's been his coaching or lack of physical development (core and legs) but he's not an NBA centre. Even his own fan base have given up on him. This is the same person Kevin Garnett said WILL be the MVP one day.

I agree he needs a trade to get some playing time but would need to be somewhere that is in re-build mode and can put minutes into him. Maybe Knicks (no one to back up Kanter) or Nets behind Allen.

He may get a start in the lineup for the Boomers but that's only because our starting big man options outside of Baynes are low. Bogut's at the tail end of his career, Bolden hasn't established himself in the NBA and Londale and Mathiang aren't in the mix as yet. Running something like Simmons, Exum, Mills/Delly, Ingles and Baynes would be interesting with Simmons guarding the PF.
That's a very long answer that makes zero sense. Purely by playing on an nba roster and playing the minutes he has Maker's already done better (in terms of an NBA career) than Boomer greats Anderson and Bradtke who excelled at international play for over a decade. Give it a rest with the ridiculous insults and stupidity of your observations. Beyond rubbish that he looks lost on defence in the finals too. Pretty much the opposite of what commentators and experts were saying in the games (which Im sure you didnt watch). The Greek Freak also disagrees with you if you read his interviews after the games too. Minor detail but Wood and Ilysavoa both dont play centre, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story I guess. Yep Maker still has a decent amount of work to do and Im sure the Bucks have given him a list of things to work on at the moment, but considering how hard it is to even be in the league in the first place he has already developed into a player who will be very handy at international basketball. We have had plenty of very good players play for Australia who didnt even get close to an nba roster. Look at Delly he has also not made the roster and you are seriously underestimating how hard it is and how good a player you have to be to make a roster in the first place.

Last edited:
Three NBA pre seasons and still Simmons can’t shoot for s**t! What does he do in the pre season apart from dating Kardashians? Really becoming an issue this season is when not surrounded by as good a shooters.

Fultz is a bust

Three NBA pre seasons and still Simmons can’t shoot for s**t! What does he do in the pre season apart from dating Kardashians? Really becoming an issue this season is when not surrounded by as good a shooters.

Fultz is a bust

There is a difference between jacking up 10,000 shots in the practice facility and taking shots in game.

Plenty of nba guys have been jacking up 1000’s of shots in game for years because they get trapped in a stagnant half court offense and have no other move other than catch, iso or dribble pull up.

Simmons can get into the lane and make a bucket or pass pretty much at will. Every time he takes a shot it’s a lower percentage play than getting into the lane. So he has gone the smart move for his team even if it’s not the best way to develop long term for him.

It’s gonna take years of taking shots at nba level to catch up shooting wise. It ain’t gonna happen overnight. He will likely develop a shot around 3-4 years from now.

The good news. He will only be around 25- 27 then not even near his prime and players who can shoot don’t suddenly develop the passing ability or size or ability to get into the lane Simmons has.

interesting he's got an american accent

Very similar to the way Ben Simmons speaks but he definitely still pronounces certain words in an Australian way like can't (car-nt), basketball (bar-sketball), footy etc. Both have gone through an almost identical upbringing - born in Australia to an American father and an Aussie mother, moved to the US as a teenager to play high school basketball - so it's not surprising that they sound the same. The reasoning behind the variation in accent definitely makes sense because communication is very important in basketball and it's simply easier to just pronounce certain words like an American when you go through the US high school/college system. Here's Ben Simmons talking about it:

Josh played Aussie rules when he was younger (just like Simmons) but gave up on footy to pursue basketball. So their pathways have been almost the exact same. He often says he misses football so maybe he'll follow in Ben's footsteps and raise the possibility of a future career in the AFL. I'm just going to guess he's a Swans fan given he grew up in Sydney.

Excited to see what Josh Green can do in the NBA... right now he is a lottery pick talent but I think he will only declare in 2020.

I fear he'll prioritise the draft over the 2020 Olympics and we won't get to see him in Tokyo. However I'm still holding out hope we get to see him in the green and gold in 2020.

There is a difference between jacking up 10,000 shots in the practice facility and taking shots in game.

Plenty of nba guys have been jacking up 1000’s of shots in game for years because they get trapped in a stagnant half court offense and have no other move other than catch, iso or dribble pull up.

Simmons can get into the lane and make a bucket or pass pretty much at will. Every time he takes a shot it’s a lower percentage play than getting into the lane. So he has gone the smart move for his team even if it’s not the best way to develop long term for him.

It’s gonna take years of taking shots at nba level to catch up shooting wise. It ain’t gonna happen overnight. He will likely develop a shot around 3-4 years from now.

The good news. He will only be around 25- 27 then not even near his prime and players who can shoot don’t suddenly develop the passing ability or size or ability to get into the lane Simmons has.

“Score at will”? Did you watch the Celtics playoff series?

This season he’s struggling to score at the rim and penetrate off the dribble. Teams leave him open at the perimeter and he still refuses to shoot when it’s clearly the best option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back