Australian basketball.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ive watched every Memphis game this year, so I know how poor of a shooter Exum is.
You realize your above post proves my point. You have zero idea if you havent watch Exum play regularly. In limited minutes he plays onball exclusively. When he's been able to play more minutes and switches between onball and off ball he's a good shooter who's technique has improved a ton. I watch 25 Utah games a year and his success with open looks is very good. With a closer three point line at the World Champs and the fact he is athletic enough to get much better looks he'll be a very good shooter. He's three point shooting off the dribble needs work, but he'll get better looks with the Boomers then he does playing onball at Utah. Baynes will be a good shooter as well. If you're hitting a decent percentage fro a further distance. Its pretty logical that your success rate will improve if you are playing at a lower level with a closer three point line.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
You realize your above post proves my point. You have zero idea if you havent watch Exum play regularly. In limited minutes he plays onball exclusively. When he's been able to play more minutes and switches between onball and off ball he's a good shooter who's technique has improved a ton. I watch 25 Utah games a year and his success with open looks is very good. With a closer three point line at the World Champs and the fact he is athletic enough to get much better looks he'll be a very good shooter. Not sure what planet your on.
You're only saying Exum is a good shooter because he's a 7 footer. If he was a guard, he'd be seen as a poor shooter.

I gotta agree with Sherrif. Dante is an improved shooter, at least catch and shoot. He’s not all there yet but he’s improving a lot and I think he’ll get much better.
On top of that, and not taking anything away from broekhoff, but he’s not even close to the difference maker that Dante is. Dante has won a few games for the Jazz this season when they looked down and out. Like Ben, he can get anywhere he wants to on the floor. His finishing at the rim is improving steadily and he’s learnt a lot of craftiness from Ingles. There is a reason a lot of Jazz fans have been asking for Dante to take over the starting role from Rubio. I’m not gonna say he’s there yet but if he can keep healthy, he’s going to be a star.
Having said that, he’s been pretty fragile till now. Hopefully it’s just a growing into his body thing but it’s very frustrating how often he gets hurt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And that defence....

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're only saying Exum is a good shooter because he's a 7 footer. If he was a guard, he'd be seen as a poor shooter.
What? He's 6'5 and a guard who ive seen hit open shots at a good clip in important games at nba level. Clearly you havent seen him play.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I’d go

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Bolden
Baynes

Delly
Exum
Broekhoff
Creek
Maker

Green
Bogut if still alive.

A lot can change between now and 2020 though!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
493.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reckon Landale will be pretty well suited to international ball. If Bogut is gone/completely cooked he’ll be a shoe in imo.

Green plays if allowed (could be another Simmons 2016 situation).

Dags21

Senior List
Sep 1, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Some pretty good looking lineups available for th Aussie selectors..
You would have to have Simmons, Ingles and Baynes in ur starting 5, but after that could be anyone.
I would go with Exum, all that length and athleticism, more for his defense than offense.
Then at the 4, either Maker or Bolden. Both can hit th 3, block shots and are athletes.
I like th combo of Mills and Delly
Hopefully Bogut is still available, can’t replace all that experience

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Some pretty good looking lineups available for th Aussie selectors..
You would have to have Simmons, Ingles and Baynes in ur starting 5, but after that could be anyone.
I would go with Exum, all that length and athleticism, more for his defense than offense.
Then at the 4, either Maker or Bolden. Both can hit th 3, block shots and are athletes.
I like th combo of Mills and Delly
Hopefully Bogut is still available, can’t replace all that experience

Exum's shooting and ability to get to the hoop has improved out of sight in the last two years. Im predicting his ability to get to the hoop will make him one of the better scorers at the world champs. Very few international players will have the foot speed to stay ahead of him and his shooting when he gets his feet set is very good. Im thinking a starting five of Exum, Ingles, Simmons, Bolden and Baynes will end up being the starting five. Mills and Delly can then give us something the Boomers have rarely had over the years which is scoring off the bench. Bogut, Delly and Mills have played a lot together over the years. Having them anchoring our bench rotations to rest the staring five could be a major advantage for the Boomers.
We could then have a finishing line-up of mills, Exum, Ingles, Simmons and T.Maker or Baynes with Simmons playing the four on defence. Ben's post play has improved significantly as the season has progressed. By the World Champs he could end up bringing the ball up the court, passing it off if he cant get to the basket and then spending time as the Boomers main low post threat at times.

Last edited:

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Won’t be ready for 2020 but Jayden Stone looking a pretty nice prospect too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep agreed on Stone. Just checked him out on youtube. He's a 6'3 combo guard who's light out from deep. Makur Maker also impressing. He's now 7 foot with a 7'6 wingspan. Both him and Matur Maker are already looking stronger than Thon. Makur's getting mentioned as a potential lottery pick in two years. Matur's signed with a top swiss team. When you add in Green there looks like another wave of potential nba players coming though. Happy days.

Mitch Creek starting to get NBA minutes off the bench for Brooklyn. Did well in his 15 minutes based on the boxscore.
Hopefully he can turn this 10-day contract into a permanent one.

splendidham

Team Captain
Aug 4, 2006
Tokyo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep agreed on Stone. Just checked him out on youtube. He's a 6'3 combo guard who's light out from deep. Makur Maker also impressing. He's now 7 foot with a 7'6 wingspan. Both him and Matur Maker are already looking stronger than Thon. Makur's getting mentioned as a potential lottery pick in two years. Matur's signed with a top swiss team. When you add in Green there looks like another wave of potential nba players coming though. Happy days.

Makur is already a pretty solid 230-240lbs, not as skinny as his cousin. He’s also looking a pretty exceptional shooter and something that seems expected from all Aussie prospects these days, a great passer. Rivals has him at 15 I think and that was based on him having burst onto the scene somewhat. They feel he could easily end up top 5.
What I really like of our future Boomers is they all look great running the floor. It’s where Ben is his best at present, Dante too. Josh Green has been labeled the best open court player he’s ever seen by his coach. I think we’ll just run everyone off the court. *getting way ahead of myself*

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Makur is already a pretty solid 230-240lbs, not as skinny as his cousin. He’s also looking a pretty exceptional shooter and something that seems expected from all Aussie prospects these days, a great passer. Rivals has him at 15 I think and that was based on him having burst onto the scene somewhat. They feel he could easily end up top 5.
What I really like of our future Boomers is they all look great running the floor. It’s where Ben is his best at present, Dante too. Josh Green has been labeled the best open court player he’s ever seen by his coach. I think we’ll just run everyone off the court. *getting way ahead of myself*

Tamuri Wigness is another one who could bring even more speed. One of the quickest junior players Ive seen. He's now 6 foot, but if he grew an inch or two more he could be even better.

You are not that far ahead of yourself splendidham in my opinion. The 2020 Boomers will almost certainly include Thon Maker, Bolden, Creek, Mills, Broekhoff and perhaps one of Sobey, Green or Adel to go with Exum and Simmons. Thats some great speed in the open court. While Delly and Ingles can both play distributor roles and push the ball up the court to pass to quicker players. Mills, Exum and Simmons would be the three quickest Boomers that I can remember. Kinda strange to see the Boomers can be a fast break open court team. Ive followed them since the 1988 Seoul Olympics after meeting Andrew Vlahov at a basketball clinic in Perth. Most Boomers teams have consisted of some great shooters and big man in the stye Landale plays today. That is we've had a lot big men who are fundamentally sound, set great screens, but lack athleticism compared to a lot of the opposition they face at international level. The Boomers over an extended period have overachieved compared to the talent and basketball achievements of the players in plenty of the rosters they have competed against over the 30 years I've supported the team in my view. The reason for this is almost certainly due to the fact that from 1988 to the last Olympics they have consistently been well coached and the players have always been passionate about playing for Australia compared to some of the most fancied Europe and South American teams. I love some of the stories of passion of players in the national team like Bogut playing on one leg last Olympics despite the fact had already made enough money from basketball to live comfortably and had no reason to push himself through the pain barrier other than pride for his country. If that passion and good coaching practices continues in the next generation coming through (which I think it will) then look out world basketball. It could be a case of going from the sublime to the ridiculous in terms of athleticism and all round talent in the aussie team.

Last edited:

splendidham

Team Captain
Aug 4, 2006
Tokyo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Tamuri Wigness is another one who could bring even more speed. One of the quickest junior players Ive seen. He's now 6 foot, but if he grew an inch or two more he could be even better.

You are not that far ahead of yourself splendidham in my opinion. The 2020 Boomers will almost certainly include Thon Maker, Bolden, Creek, Mills, Broekhoff and perhaps one of Sobey, Green or Adel to go with Exum and Simmons. Thats some great speed in the open court. While Delly and Ingles can both play distributor roles and push the ball up the court to pass to quicker players. Mills, Exum and Simmons would be the three quickest Boomers that I can remember. Kinda strange to see the Boomers can be a fast break open court team. Ive followed them since the 1988 Seoul Olympics after meeting Andrew Vlahov at a basketball clinic in Perth. Most Boomers teams have consisted of some great shooters and big man in the stye Landale plays today. That is we've had a lot big men who are fundamentally sound, set great screens, but lack athleticism compared to a lot of the opposition they face at international level. The Boomers over an extended period have overachieved compared to the talent and basketball achievements of the players in plenty of the rosters they have competed against over the 30 years I've supported the team in my view. The reason for this is almost certainly due to the fact that from 1988 to the last Olympics they have consistently been well coached and the players have always been passionate about playing for Australia compared to some of the most fancied Europe and South American teams. I love some of the stories of passion of players in the national team like Bogut playing on one leg last Olympics despite the fact had already made enough money from basketball to live comfortably and had no reason to push himself through the pain barrier other than pride for his country. If that passion and good coaching practices continues in the next generation coming through (which I think it will) then look out world basketball. It could be a case of going from the sublime to the ridiculous in terms of athleticism and all round talent in the aussie team.

Sherrif, not only are you from the same locality as I am, seems we are pretty much the same Gen lol
Also, reading news.com.au the other day, you know hoops is starting to build up its popularity once again when 4 of the top stories are all basketball related (4 of 10 stories displayed on the front page), one story gets displayed in the main news headlines and it’s about Fultz/the sixers no longer trusting the process

Last edited:

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sherrif, not only are you from the same locality as I am, seems we are pretty much the same Gen lol
Also, reading news.com.au the other day, you know hoops is starting to build up its popularity once again when 4 of the top stories are all basketball related (4 of 10 stories displayed on the front page) and one story gets displayed in the main news headlines and it’s about Fultz and the sixers no longer trusting the process

If you went to watch the Perth Wildcats in the 90's like me it would make sense. People forget there was a time basketball was the most popular sport on tv. Ive pretty much kept following basketball despite travelling all over the place. Ive taken my nephew to some Wildcats games last year. Im definitely not alone in being exposed to basketball in the boom of the sport in Australia in the late 80's early 90's who have come back to the sport and watch Wildcats games with sons, daughters, nieces or nephews. The stadium was full of adults in their late 30's watching the game with kids.

Last edited:
Back