Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomers drawn in a pretty challenging group with Lithuania, Canada & Senegal. Canada in particular have a lot of NBA players.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/basket...y/news-story/737130a8a70bf536aae794f78fe60a57

We need to finish above NZ to qualify for the Olympics. NZ grouped with Greece, Brazil & Montenegro. Could be a tight result.
I'm not saying that we definitely can't do it without him, but if Simmons legitimately wants to play in the Olympics, he needs to help them qualify because potentially there may be no Olympics to play in if things don't go our way.
The World Cup & the Olympics are a package deal now. The World Cup has been made a lot more important than to used to be. I hope that Simmons actually understands that when he makes his decision.

I started a World Cup thread btw for the purpose of having a thread for Cup discussion so we could leave this one for other stuff

On espn at 9 is a doco on seton hall when gaze had his moment in the sun , in March maddness. The Final was shown live back here. If I recall ,he was frozen out by his team mates as they were trying to impress the nba scouts

( it was a while ago and I may be wrong:)

Saw the doco, forgotten what huge effort seton hall took to get to final. It was also 6 months before I went on my first trip to the states. When I was there australia was flavour of the decade , so any aussie accent attracted attention. Having knowledge of Seton Hall and the big dance gave extra credibility. There was a now defunct bar call down under in nyc . The locals couldn’t believe I was an Aussie and it being a monday night and asking the girls there to explain american football was a great way to break the ice. The fosters sold in oil can sizes was still crap but the long island ice tea was a silent way to get pissed quickly :)

Last edited:
Good news on the nba front in terms of Ryan Broekhoff
Over Broekhoff’s last four games, he’s played an average of 21.5 minutes, posting 12.5 points and 2.3 rebounds a game, shooting 16/25 from the field and 12-of-21 from downtown. If he keeps shooting like that he'll get more minutes and be super important for the Boomers.

Thon Maker's also playing with great energy on defence while shooting the ball inconsistently from range. At least he's getting more court time. PLaying more than twenty minutes most games since landing at Detroit.

Isaac Humphries has just earnt a ten day contract with Atlanta. I keep forgetting he's still only 22 as I first heard about him when he was a 6-10 fifteen year old. Is now 7-0. Could yet play a role for the Boomers long term. Average nearly 12 points a game in the G-League to earn the contract.

Mitch Creek also keeps fighting to earn a permanent spot on an nba roster. He's just signed a 10 day contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves according yo foxsports.com.au

Terrible news on Dante Exum. According to nba.com the 23-year-old underwent surgery on his right knee, repairing a partially torn patellar tendon; a procedure that means he’ll be out indefinitely. Kid cant take a break. Still amazing potential if he gets his body right.

12 Aussies on nba rosters as of next week. Our all time high by one I think. Would have been a great week for Aussie hoops if not for the Exum injury being worse case scenario.

Last edited:

Unfortunately that sort of playing time is probably only temporary, with Bolden only starting in place of Embiid who was rested
Embiid will be rested for the next 2 games as well. His chance to jump in front of Bobi and co

Unfortunately that sort of playing time is probably only temporary, with Bolden only starting in place of Embiid who was rested
He's good enough for serious NBA minutes though

Broekhoff , not too many points vs okc but a defensive rebound and 2 ft in last 5 secs iced the game for mavs
See him playing for another team next year especially coming off bench giving 15-20 mins per game.

Cameron Healy playing for a mid range sized college at the University of Albany is another Aussie getting some media coverage. After averaging 16 points a game the 6'3 guard was named in the initial list of top 30 Freshman players in college basketball. Another handy long term guard prospect would be handy for the Boomers. Healy is described as a great shooter with solid fundamental skills.

Mojave King is another kid who is emerging as a potential nba talent for the future. Really turned heads at nba global academy. Mother is a NZer, father American but grew up mostly in Australia. I also quite like the look of Jayden Stone who is also in the HS system. Both 16 yo

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mojave King is the real deal.
Here's an article on him.
https://247sports.com/college/baske...jave-King-emerges-at-NBA-Academies-131077583/
From the article 'The biggest find of the Next Generation Showcase, which matched up the four NBA Academies against each other, was 6-foot-4 wing Mojave King.

A native of New Zealand, King moved to Australia and now plays at the Global Academy, where he’s been since January. King has a background in hoops, as his father played at Florida A&M, his mother played at Duquesne and his sister at Pacific. King is on the same path.'

Certainly sounds like a potential lottery pick. Basketball Australia should be moving heaven on earth to get him on a potential medal winning dynasty team for the Boomers.

Stone has serious range and great athleticism. Looks a wonderful prospect too. Green, Makur Maker, Stone and King. Could be the next four high profile aussie nba players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems more likely he considers himself an aussie judging by articles like the one in the link below. Nothing from him or set in stone, but he's been referred to as Australia's next big thing in a couple of articles. With Simmons at the point you could see Stone, King and Green all being able to play either guard spot or small forward on offence and defending guards on defence in a future Boomers team hopefully. Simmons, Bolden, Exum, Thon Maker, Makur Maker, Green, Stone and King hopepfully leading a golden era for aussie basketball in the not too distant future.
http://nbl.com.au/news/article/meet-mojave-king-australian-basketballs-next-big-thing

Last edited:
Never heard about him before, but hope he chooses the Boomers.
Leonard is his father btw.
The other big question surrounding King has been whether he will play for New Zealand or Australia in future FIBA competitions.

Mojave currently possesses both New Zealand and US citizenship but, having grown up in Australia, he considers himself an Aussie and intends to don the green and gold.

“He is going to play for Australia,” Leonard stated emphatically.

“He was pretty much raised in Australia but he just doesn’t have that passport just yet. We’re working hard to try and get him his Australian passport so he can play for Australia but at the moment he doesn’t have it so he probably won’t be a part of the Australian junior team until we can obtain the Australian passport.”

It’s a decision that will come as a blow to Kiwi hoops, especially considering Leonard’s role as Basketball New Zealand's General Manager of High Performance.

Going to be interesting to see if Basketball Aus chase Matisse Thybulle down the track.

Lived in Australia for 6 or so years as a kid.

Chima Moneke has already conceded that he'll probably play for Nigeria because he never got Australian citizenship while growing up here. Does it depend on how much we're interested in them?

It depends how good they are.

Thybulle at worst looks like a solid role player at NBA level.

I’d say we will be enquiring.

It depends how good they are.

Thybulle at worst looks like a solid role player at NBA level.

I’d say we will be enquiring.
How does Lemanis(and Basketball Australia) see the NBL & Euroleague non NBA players, I reckon 4-5 nonNBA players as anchor-lock-scaffolding of team, the role players who set the team culture, because we will have equivalent NBA contingent in future like Canada ~ 15-20

How does Lemanis(and Basketball Australia) see the NBL & Euroleague non NBA players, I reckon 4-5 nonNBA players as anchor-lock-scaffolding of team, the role players who set the team culture, because we will have equivalent NBA contingent in future like Canada ~ 15-20

Maybe 1 makes it in the current world champs side, let alone at the next one

Maybe 1 makes it in the current world champs side, let alone at the next one
My point, the role players/defenders/intangibles men, they provide something more than their ability to smoke individual brilliance in Ice-T's 3on3 league.

Like an ordinary individual team of Richmond in 2017, apart from RanceMartinEdwardsReiwoldt the other 18 were scaffolding, an intelligent mate of mine described it with acuity as #post-skill_football. Cotchin also in this description. Only 4 players who could rely on their ball skills.
Zgope1 holllywood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back