Australian basketball.

I think our team will be best suited with Simmons at PG on offense and PF on defense. That allows us to surround him with shooters (Mills/Exum/Ingles/Baynes).

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would very much doubt he has enough of a team first mentality in regards to representing his country to play a role that's different from the one he's gotten used to in the NBA for the past 2 seasons. Funnily enough it was the 76ers that decided to play him as a point guard, so maybe it'll depend on whether Brown play him in the PF spot anytime this season.
Playing in his usual spot would help us a lot with his good passing skills though. Would be close to a complete player if he can fix his shooting.
He also said this once:
“Definitely a one, not four. I don’t want to play a four. I mean, I’ll play the four but I don’t want to be predominantly in the four position because I feel like I can do a lot more from the point guard position, as you’ve seen.”
His quote has proven to be correct because he can do more from the point position. He's played the four or five for Philly quite a bit when Embid's out. The view that Ben doesnt do the team things is the opposite of true, I cant see why he would be any different playing for the Boomers. For such a young player he has played a key role in a very good team that has won a lot of games at NBA level. He's also sacrificed his game to focus on defence in some big games and the reason why he doesnt shoot more and simply put up bad shots is that he wants to win as much as possible. Anyway I can see him handling the ball to start the offence and then when we go into half court sets play a role a bit like Bogut does and create from the high post. I dont have a problem saying Ben Simmons is one of the MOST team orientated young players ive seen in the nba in the 25+ years ive been watching. Doesnt put up bad shots, plays great defence and doesnt mind changing roles for the sake of the team. The role he will probably play for the Boomers is the role he plays a fair bit when Embid's been out. Defending bigs, bringing the ball up on the fast break with a view to going all the way if no one gets in front of him and then posting up in both the high and low post in half court.His played quite a few minutes last season in the games when Embid's been out where him and Bolden have been the four and five for Philly. They look like they compliment each other really well in those roles.

Early signs in training is that his shot has improved if you follow him on instragram Will have to wait and see though for the regular season. See below link.

Last edited:

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think our team will be best suited with Simmons at PG on offense and PF on defense. That allows us to surround him with shooters (Mills/Exum/Ingles/Baynes).
Unless he becomes a shooter too. Then we surround the opposition with an all shooting, all passing, all defending line-up.

splendidham

Team Captain
Aug 4, 2006
Tokyo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ive said this before. But at international level Dante Exum could seriously be that player. His shooting with his feet set has actually come on heaps. Before his injury at training he was consistently one of the best at draining threes according to the Jazz twitter feed anyway. Just needs to gain more confidence in games. Josh Green could also be that type of player in the long run too. Its early days, but our next, next great hope to be a generational type big man (not by the next Olympics unfortunately) could be Makur Maker. I follow him closely. He is in his final year of high school ball and he's already a strongish 107kg's at 6'11 or 7'0 (latest update had him at 7'0) so he puts on weight easily compared to Thon. Early days, but a great passer for a big man and now the second rated high school basketball player in Canada.

Re: maker - 3rd or 4th ranked prospect out of all HS prospects according to Rivals. Pretty meteoric rise but hit 2 a few months back. Won MVP at Steph Curry’s camp too

Also I still if a lot of real estate on Exum island. If he can piece together a full season this year, I feel like he makes the leap. He was making huge strides last year before injury. There wasn’t a guy in the league who could stay in front of him, he might be among the 3 fasted guys in the league and his passing, not to mention his shooting have all improved. If he can stay in the court, it’s gonna happen sooner than later. Who on Spain is defending him? Here’s hoping for a healthy season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rubio was MVP of the recent world champs Dante has the potential go be a better nba player than Rubio. People forget when Rubio was Dante's age he was struggling at nba level with his shot.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
To add a little bit about Makur Maker. He is definitely starting to get more press in terms of elite prospects around around the worlds. Below is his latest highlight package. I know they are highlights and obviously Thon looked great playing against high school players as well. But the most impressive thing about Makur is that he seems to get significantly bigger every time new highlights are released and to me he also seems to be getting more explosive as well.

Worth a look in my view.

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
To add a little bit about Makur Maker. He is definitely starting to get more press in terms of elite prospects around around the worlds. Below is his latest highlight package. I know they are highlights and obviously Thon looked great playing against high school players as well. But the most impressive thing about Makur is that he seems to get significantly bigger every time new highlights are released and to me he also seems to be getting more explosive as well.

Worth a look in my view.

hard to get too excited at high school footage, especially when at his size. If he's still that dominant in college though!!

splendidham

Team Captain
Aug 4, 2006
Tokyo
AFL Club
Fremantle
hard to get too excited at high school footage, especially when at his size. If he's still that dominant in college though!!

Understand what you are saying but I feel the thing is, he’s also been that dominant against top tier prospects in his age group at many of the big camps for the elite kids. Won MVP at a few of them if I recall, Adidas Guantlet and Steph Curry’s UA camo if my memory serves my right. He’s ranked top 10 I think by ESPN and top 4 by Rivals. He also has a younger brother as well who by accounts is also quite good. He definitely passes the eye test. He has a few things over Thon in my opinion, he’s a more high IQ player, more explosive than Thon, puts on weight more easily and doesn’t have Thon’s small hands. Thon could be a good player if he could just catch the damn ball and had some more mass on him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Amazing to say this about an NBA player but we don't need him and his terrible attitude. Would take all of Kay, Landale, Maker 1, Maker 2 or Motum over him.
Really, really disappointing. Almost certainly wont make the Philly roster game 1 of the season too. I saw him live against Canada. He looked good. Hopefully he bounces back, but geez we need Thon to come on now for the next Olympics.

On a brighter note Josh Giddey a 6-7 point guard and Mojave King are certainly making noise as far as prospective outstanding college prospects.

Shifty1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Really, really disappointing. Almost certainly wont make the Philly roster game 1 of the season too. I saw him live against Canada. He looked good. Hopefully he bounces back, but geez we need Thon to come on now for the next Olympics.

On a brighter note Josh Giddey a 6-7 point guard and Mojave King are certainly making noise as far as prospective outstanding college prospects.
We have so much talent coming through. Never been a better time for the Boomers. The Tokyo team should legitimately be targeting the silver.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have so much talent coming through. Never been a better time for the Boomers. The Tokyo team should legitimately be targeting the silver.
Dream year. We medal. Josh Green goes top ten NBA draft. Makur Maker and Mojave King looking like lottery picks 2021 draft. Ben Simmons gets a jump shot and Dante gets more opportunity.

Shifty1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Dream year. We medal. Josh Green goes top ten NBA draft. Makur Maker and Mojave King looking like lottery picks 2021 draft. Ben Simmons gets a jump shot and Dante gets more opportunity.
We're going to start turning away NBA players from the Boomers in the next few years.

Really want Dante to have a breakthrough season this year. Fingers crossed he can stay healthy and Synder doesn't yank him off the court every time he makes a mistake. Would probably be better off leaving the Jazz.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Mojave King going to meet with 2 colleges in the US. Hope that he gets his Australian citizenship before he goes to college. Looks like he could be a huge talent.

1571301714168.png

Leonard being his dad.

Lord oh lord,

Green, King, Giddey and Maker. All at huge basketball programs over the next 2 years.

Dynasty incoming.

I'd love for him to go to Baylor, such a strong basketball school and a little bit different.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
View attachment 766791

Leonard being his dad.

Lord oh lord,

Green, King, Giddey and Maker. All at huge basketball programs over the next 2 years.

Dynasty incoming.

I'd love for him to go to Baylor, such a strong basketball school and a little bit different.
Jayden Stone was another player making noise Not sure what happened to him in 2019 as Ive heard less about him this year. Thon's got some great reviews from his coach in preseason games for his defence. Looks much stronger in the legs. With Bolden not looking great we desperately need Thon to come on this year to medal at the next Olympics.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Baynes absolutely killing it for the Suns atm, getting featured alot in the US media atm.

Numbers have gone through the roof with more responsibilty at the Suns and a genuine point guard in Rubio to feed off of.

He's continued his great stretch perimeter shooting he was displaying at the world champs.

PER of almost 25 with 42% from 3 for a C in this league is elite, if he can keep this up, he will be getting a big pay day....

1572661374109.png

1572661555488.png

1572662106728.png

Last edited:

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Jayden Stone was another player making noise Not sure what happened to him in 2019 as Ive heard less about him this year. Thon's got some great reviews from his coach in preseason games for his defence. Looks much stronger in the legs. With Bolden not looking great we desperately need Thon to come on this year to medal at the next Olympics.
Watched some pistons yesterday. Tho looks terrible. Not good with Thon and Bolden regressing.

Back