Australian basketball.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Strange that Jarrod Kenny (playing tomorrow night) and Shea Ili who are in playoff teams are playing for NZ while not even the Kings and United players that are playing on Saturday were allowed to be selected. Feels like we're throwing the game for the sake of the playoff teams.
Absurd timing of the game. Not sure why they couldn’t reschedule

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
So 7 contracted NBA players. 1 a 2x all star, another starter on a 50 win team, 1 a key bench player for a perennial 50 win team over the last decade, 1 Aaron fu**’en Baynes.

in Addition to the 7 contracted we have two who were last week and are good chances to be picked up again.

things have changed when that’s not enough...
Yep exactly.

Simmons is an all star calibre, triple double beast of a playmaker and an elite defender. Even in the NBA noone can really stop him from getting to the hoop, in international competition he's going to wreck interior defences, generate a stupid number of foul shots, and at the other end defend the opposition's best scorer.

He is simply the best player the national team has ever had access to. and we have a solid group of NBA experience around him, including several decent shot makers for him to kick it out to.

On paper things are far far better than they've been at any time in our lifetime.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Has Matisse actually declared he would play for us? Or is it just Simmons claiming it?

I absolutely love him, as a reasonably recent (few year) basketball fan he has given me a whole appreciation for defense, he's incredible... But I don't actually know if he would play for us.

He seems an absolute ripping young person though so he'd have no issue fitting in I'd say.. Especially with Ben around and Brett coaching

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Has Matisse actually declared he would play for us? Or is it just Simmons claiming it?

I absolutely love him, as a reasonably recent (few year) basketball fan he has given me a whole appreciation for defense, he's incredible... But I don't actually know if he would play for us.

He seems an absolute ripping young person though so he'd have no issue fitting in I'd say.. Especially with Ben around and Brett coaching
Simmons and Brown will be getting into his ear. Reckon if he’s promised Olympic game time, and the USA aren’t giving him encouragement to hold out because he’s a chance to play with them (he’s a player they’d like access to but can’t really promise he’d ever be selected without major dropouts) He’ll be suiting up for us at the Olympics

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Simmons and Brown will be getting into his ear. Reckon if he’s promised Olympic game time, and the USA aren’t giving him encouragement to hold out because he’s a chance to play with them (he’s a player they’d like access to but can’t really promise he’d ever be selected without major dropouts) He’ll be suiting up for us at the Olympics
He can defend 1-4 at international level.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Bolden finished at Phoenix, nothing else offered after his 10 day contract ended. Other bigs returning would've meant that he was no longer required. They're leaving an open spot on their roster.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking a bit grim with both Simmons and Exum potentially out long term. Who knows if they'll make themselves available if there any lingering injury concerns by the end of the season. Exum already said before the WC that he'll only play if he's completely injury free. Green also looking increasingly unlikely to be a lottery pick.
Updated prediction of the squad without them, but no idea if Cotton will have gotten his citizenship by then or if Thybulle will decide to play for us.
Patrick Mills
Matisse Thybulle
Jock Landale
Aron Baynes
Joe Ingles
Matthew Dellavedova
Bryce Cotton
Andrew Bogut
Thon Maker
Ryan Broekhoff
Chris Goulding
Jonah Bolden

Depth:
Mitchell Creek
Josh Green
Nick Kay
Mangok Mathiang
Deng Adel
Brock Motum

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Mathiang's form has been pretty good this season, hope that he'll be seriously considered for the Olympics (if it happens) especially if Bogut's demise is to be believed.

Oct 5, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Mathiang's form has been especially good this season, hope that he'll be seriously considered for the Olympics (if it happens) if Bogut's demise is to be believed.

Really is the forgotten man, considering he was playing in the NBA 18 months ago.

I still can’t believe Cam Bairstow’s decline, looks like he’s logging junk minutes over there.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Absolute monster game from Baynesy!
37 points, 16 rebounds, 9/14 3 pointers made. Most points ever scored by an Australian player in an NBA game, not counting Irving.

He also joins Houston Rockets guard James Harden as the only players in NBA history to have at least 30 points, 15 rebounds and eight made threes.

Last edited:
Absolute monster game from Baynesy!
37 points, 16 rebounds, 9/14 3 pointers made.

He also joins Houston Rockets guard James Harden as the only players in NBA history to have at least 30 points, 15 rebounds and eight made threes.
Bearded life.

Back