Australian basketball.

Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
Absolute monster game from Baynesy!
37 points, 16 rebounds, 9/14 3 pointers made. Most points ever scored by an Australian player in an NBA game, not counting Irving.

He also joins Houston Rockets guard James Harden as the only players in NBA history to have at least 30 points, 15 rebounds and eight made threes.

That was sexy

Devestated that Sixers spent money on Horford when could have kept JJ and added Baynes.
I'm unhappy Boston kicked Baynes out when we had no good rim protector and he wanted to stay.

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Devestated that Sixers spent money on Horford when could have kept JJ and added Baynes.

I'm no NBA expert but some of the decisions made by team Execs on million dollar salaries around roster construction seem absolutely baffling. Multi year high value contracts to players the wrong side of 30. Paying big in draft picks for a player that can walk out at the end of the season for bugger all. Buying players just because they are available that don't fit the current roster or worse, end up dividing the locker room. And finally the one that bugs me the most. Teams buying high and selling low. The complete opposite of moneyball. I think Philly has committed every one of these sins over the last 2 years.

Can anyone enlighten me why it is so?

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Mojave King and Josh Giddey joining Cairns and Adelaide respectively as Next Stars players.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
So have to think there is no chance of the olympics going ahead. Disappointing given the ageing out of some key players such as Mills, Baynes and Ingles. 2024 will see young guns like Mojave King and Giddley joining Simmons, thybulle, green though.

Kezza86

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
So have to think there is no chance of the olympics going ahead. Disappointing given the ageing out of some key players such as Mills, Baynes and Ingles. 2024 will see young guns like Mojave King and Giddley joining Simmons, thybulle, green though.
The virus is like SARS, it is not heat resistant. It will die in the heat. Expect it will be mid April before cases to stabilise. Olympics will still go ahead but I do expect it to pushed back a couple weeks into August.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
They aren't going to leave Japan out in the lurch, they've spent $24B on infrastructure for the games.

Worst case scenario, it is delayed a full 12 months into 2021 imo.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep. Ill agree with that completely. Would have loved Baynes to have somehow have ended up on the Rockets after the Covington trade. Would be killing it as a good defender who hits open shots.

Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The basketball gods do not like Australia.
I think they do. Simmons back needs time to heal, Exum hurt his ?ankle?, Baynes has been carrying a hip injury.

Our core is older, so an enforced layoff gives time for their bodies cherry ripe for the Olympics.

Delly, Patty, Jingles, Baynes all know this is likely their last Olympics and for a while it could have been taken away from them. They will be determined to make it count.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I think they do. Simmons back needs time to heal, Exum hurt his ?ankle?, Baynes has been carrying a hip injury.

Our core is older, so an enforced layoff gives time for their bodies cherry ripe for the Olympics.

Delly, Patty, Jingles, Baynes all know this is likely their last Olympics and for a while it could have been taken away from them. They will be determined to make it count.

The biggest loser out of this is probably Bogut. One more year could change a lot for his chances of even being picked.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle

Patty Mills has at least one more olympics in him. He'll be 35 and a needed veteran at the next olympics.

The Olympic being postponed for one year makes the team a bit harder to pick.
Im a a Perth Wildcats fan so I watch Kay and Cotton a lot.Kay was pretty good last World Champs. Cotton's a much better player than Kay so I think Bryce will be very good at international level and he could play the Patty Mills role when he is not on the floor. It will be a close call between him and Delly I think the fact that Bryce is a bit younger, will help his case for selection as he will still be young enough to make the next Olympic team as well. Delly will be 34 next Olympics.. Cotton's much better at hitting open shots than Delly is so thats why im selecting the Perth Wildcats star. Delly could be fighting with Josh Green for a spot despite his experience. There is such quality at the point even with Mills playing the 2 spot he plays with the aussie team with ingles, Exum and Ben sharing the load I think it would be a mistake to select Delly as he wouldnt get many minutes at the point and isnt good playing off ball, which is a role both Bryce and Josh can play well

My team at the moment.
Staring five
1.Mills
2.Matisse (on ball defender role) He would need to be hitting his shot at a higher rate to make the staring five.
3.Ingles
4.Baynes
5.Simmons (defends the centre position) PG to start offence then goes to the post in half court sets. Have him do the pick and roll as the screen setter for Mills, Ingles and Exum too.

The player I predict making the team is the one written first when there are two players listed.
6. Exum. The PG when Ben's not on the floor and a key play maker when Ben is on the floor too. Providing bench scoring. Exum, Matisse and Ben will give us some tremendous pressure for turnovers on the defensive end. Hugely important. Hopefully he will finally get his body right in 2021

7. Broekhoff (in the starting five if Matisse doesnt improve his shot)

8. Jock Landale. Playing for Zalgiris Kaunas in the basketball obsessed Lithuania league Jock looks to have improved his athleticism hugely. He's got some great blocks and dunks in highlights anyway.Still very good in the block and pick and roll situation. Great passer for a big too. Having bigs who can shoot the three is a key to success with Ben on the floor. Jock's shot from deep is very good now. Made the three point contest at his leagues all star contest. A definite if he keeps working hard. Which he will as he's been described as one of the hardest working players he's ever encountered by his coach.Im tipping he is the breakout oz player at the Olympics. His game is perfectly suited to Olympic style basketball. He is excelling in a hard fouling low scoring tough league where the officials let players play.

9.Cotton Playing the small shooting guard role Patty plays. (his ability to hit shots under pressure makes him a must selection in my view) Hopefully they could give Patty a bit more of a rest with Bryce in the team compared to the last World Champs where Mills played huge minutes. Dont have Patty and Bryce on the floor at the same time though.

10. Thon Maker or Bogut depending on Maker's improvement and Bogut's ability to hold off old age. Saw Bogut play live recently and his movement is an issue. At least one of these two makes the team in a defender of the seven footers role.

11. Green or Delly for the last guard position.(very close call) Josh is my selection if he improves like he should in an nba environment. Predicted to go 15 -22 at the moment in mock 2020 drafts.Experience means Delly will probably still be selected, but if it was up to me Id go with Josh as he'll play a huge role in the Boomers future campaigns too.

12.Bolden (only if he improves) Kay if Bolden doesnt improve with Motum a chance too. Motum should have been in the last world champ team ffs. Likely a very close call with those three or the player not already selected for the defending seven footer role (no10) Bogut or Thon for the last big man position.

Next in line
Will Magney 208 cm power forward signed with new orleans 22 years old.
Goulding
Creek
Adel
Xavier Cooks is another great prospect who would have played at the last World Champs bar injury.
Mangok Mathiang has done well in EuropeLeague play. Averages around 13 points and 10.rebounds a game. He's first in rebounds and second in blocks for that league.
Jo Lual-Aculi could also be a depth option. His game improved as the year went on in 2019/2020.
Kouat Noi is another intriguing prospect.

Watch this space to:
Makur Maker might be a long shot at the moment but really could be a massive improver by the time the Olympics come around.If he does surprise hugely and looks like a certain lottery pick then Bolden doesnt make my selected team. Taking Makur could be important in giving him experience for future Olympic efforts.
Mojave King is another who could shoot up the rankings if he plays well for Cairns in the NBL. He too has been spoken about as a potential nba lottery pick. Not likely to make the team at this point, but still one to keep an eye on as a potential bolter.
Josh Giddey is very similar to Mojave King as he could also shoot up the rankings if he plays well for Adelaide in the NBL. He too has been spoken about as a potential nba lottery pick. Not likely to make the team at this point but still worth keeping an eye on.
Cameron Healy is a pure shooter who scores big in US college basketball for a small school at the University at Albany is also worth monitoring.

With their international basketball experience Im tipping that selectors value Bogut and Delly more than I have. So im predicting what happens in reality is that Delly and Bogut both make the team with one of Green or Cotton missing out for Delly and one of Bolden or Thon missing out for Bogut. My dream result next season for the boomers would be for Makur and Green to be selected for positions 11 and 12 after improving hugely in season 2020/2021, with Mojave and Josh Giddey also making the extended squad due to outstanding NBL rookie play.

If anyone is interested in talking anything Boomers please respond to this post even if you totally disagree. Im like many going mad in my self imposed isolation as Im a diabetic so Im keeping my contact to the outside world to an absolute minimum and im struggling to find ways to stop from being bored.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
f anyone is interested in talking anything Boomers please respond to this post even if you totally disagree. Im like many going mad in my self imposed isolation as Im a diabetic so Im keeping my contact to the outside world to an absolute minimum and im struggling to find ways to stop from being bored.
Thanks for the write up Sherrif.

I'd be happy for Bogut to miss in place of Maker. Bogut is slow as a wet week and doesn't have much hops any more which has reduced his effectiveness as a defender. Don't get me wrong, he's still a handy defender but I think Maker offers more.

I'd expect Delly to make the squad, he's an energy guy and a defensive beast. If (big if) his shot drops he's going to break a game open.

Obviously when Simmons is on court we'll be looking to spread the floor, run him in pick and roll and let him destroy his opponent.

But what system do people think we should run when Simmons is off the floor?

And what mix of players do you think we will run with in our second squad?

How about a small ball lineup?

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks for the write up Sherrif.

I'd be happy for Bogut to miss in place of Maker. Bogut is slow as a wet week and doesn't have much hops any more which has reduced his effectiveness as a defender. Don't get me wrong, he's still a handy defender but I think Maker offers more.

I'd expect Delly to make the squad, he's an energy guy and a defensive beast. If (big if) his shot drops he's going to break a game open.

Obviously when Simmons is on court we'll be looking to spread the floor, run him in pick and roll and let him destroy his opponent.

But what system do people think we should run when Simmons is off the floor?

And what mix of players do you think we will run with in our second squad?

How about a small ball lineup?

Thanks for replying. Id think that when Ben's off the floor Dante runs the point. I really think he could explode at the next Olympics as he's great at getting to the ring when fully fit. I wouldnt mind a backcourt of Exum and Cotton with either Joe at the three and then Baynes and Maker or Bogut in the front court. If Bogut is moving well his experience with Baynes should still be effective. If its Thon then he will be a good shot blocker who can hit threes with good ball movement. Exum is the go to man when Bens off the floor hopefully.

If we went small then Matiisse could play the 4. He's got a plus seven foot reach and could definitely cover a lot of international 4's. Small ball line-up could be Ben at centre, Matisse at 4, Broekhoff at the 3 with Mills and Exum in the backcourt. That would be a very quick line-up with all bar Broekhoff exceptionally quick. If Green is ready to go and makes the team you could evn swap him into that line-up for Broekhoff and go full press defence.

Matiise and Ben have terrific connection on defence and offence. Id pair them together on the court for most of Matisse's minutes.

As far as a second unut goes then Exum and Cooks make a good backcourt duo. I really think Cotton will be very good in low minues role. In the frontcourt Broekhoff can play the 3 and then Landale and Thon the forntcourt positions.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Still excited about the Boomers Olympics campaign even if it's a year later. Happy for it to be then if it gives Simmons and Exum more time to recover, and Green will be more ready by next year, while Cotton has more time to get his citizenship.

Back