Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pg. Giddy./ Exum / delle
Sg. Paddy./ Thybulle / BHoff
Sf. Ingles./ Green
Pf. Ben./Maker/Maker
C. Baynes/Magnay
When I saw Giddey I assumed this was looking to the future.

No way is Giddey starting for the Boomers right now, probably doesn’t even make the Olympic side this year.

Pg. Giddy./ Exum / delle
Sg. Paddy./ Thybulle / BHoff
Sf. Ingles./ Green
Pf. Ben./Maker/Maker
C. Baynes/Magnay
Maybe the next world champs but I cant see Giddey making this kind of improvement if it this years olympics. Makur Maker is interesting. I can't make out where he is at after aa disappointing start ti his college career. Landale and Kay would both be ahead of Magnay currently I think.

My rolling Boomers team atm. Simmons will be playing PF for the boomers. Just need to find a backup player who can play both C and PF along with the ability to quick in transition with Simmons.

Pg- Mills, (Simmons), Delly
Sg- Ingles, Thybulle, Exum
Sf- Broekhoff, (Thybulle), Creek/Green
Pf- Simmons, Landale, (Maker/Bolden/Kay)
C- Baynes, Humphries, (Maker/Bolden/Kay)

(Defensive positions):

1: Mills/Delly
2: Thybulle/Exum/Goulding
3: Ingles/Broekhoff/Green
4: Simmons/Landale/Maker or Kay
5: Baynes/Thon

Goulding as a catch and shoot option is so handy for these types of tournaments. And the fact that Simmons can play the 1 on offence and 4 on defence is something not many other teams can exploit.

No Bolden is probably the most notable omission, along with the ??? surrounding Bryce Cotton and citizenship.

From that maybe something like

Simmons
Mills
Thybulle
Ingles
Baynes
Dellavedova
Exum
Broekhoff
Creek / Cooks
Humphries (if he keeps up MVP form) / Landale / Kay
Green
Maker
One of above/Goulding

Idk, a lot to play out. Overall I’d say the squad has been picked well, I see a few ways they could go with it and only a couple of players who aren’t any real chance of getting a gig.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From that, I'd go:

1: Mills/Dellavedova
2: Thybulle/Exum/Goulding
3: Ingles/Broekhoff/Green
4: Simmons/Landale/Maker
5: Baynes/Magnay

Creek, Kay, Motum, Reath, McDowell-White next in line

Surely Bolden has spat it and not made himself eligible. He walks into that squad.
Might have something to do with him walking out last time, paired with the fact that he hasn’t played in 12 months that has made the Boomers say * it, he isn’t worth the hassle.

Locks if available:

Mills/Delly
Thybulle
Ingles/Broekhoff
Simmons
Baynes

Nearly locks imo:
Green, Kay, Exum, Landale

Fighting for the last spot or two:
Humphries, Goulding, Creek, Maker

Cotton in if he gets his citizenship and gets added to the squad late.

Kay makes the team imo, he just performed way too well at the world cup to ignore and was often in our death lineup. Earned his spot and wouldn't be out of place.

Locks if available:

Mills/Delly
Thybulle
Ingles/Broekhoff
Simmons
Baynes

Nearly locks imo:
Green, Kay, Exum, Landale

Fighting for the last spot or two:
Humphries, Goulding, Creek, Maker

Cotton in if he gets his citizenship and gets added to the squad late.

Kay makes the team imo, he just performed way too well at the world cup to ignore and was often in our death lineup. Earned his spot and wouldn't be out of place.
Kay was average in the WC IMO, and when you have Simmons and Landale taking up your two first PF spots on defence...

Thybulle is an animal defensively.

Exactly what you want for FIBA ball.

We are going to need someone like that to lock down the best scorer in these opposition Euro and South American sides, that almost always come from the guards and he's one of the best defenders in the NBA.

He's a nailed on starter for mine.

I think Paddy will play the point, especially after the year he's had.

Simmons at PF with the odd ball handling.

I think Delly runs the second team.

Baynes plays as he spreads the floor with Simmons on the court.

Simmons will play in the post imo and just look to dunk over most sides off the Ingles/Mills/Baynes P&R's.

Mills
Thybulle
Ingles
Simmons
Baynes

Would be my starting side....

Bolden is such a waste, 3-4 years ago he looked like forming an incredibly athletic 1/2 defensive rim protection combo with Simmons at this level.

I reckon Landale will end up playing a fair bit of centre
Yep. But we still have Baynes, Maker and Reath as centre's as well. Kay is a chance for that 12th or 13th player spot/
Gees, I mocked his selection at the time but he played well above my expectations with his hustle on the boards and craftiness around the basket.
I thought he was an okay selection, that played okay. With Simmons coming in and Landale being the immediate back up he's pushed down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back