Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thybulle and Green are the natural combination for the SG spot.

Both raw scorers, both have NBA athleticism and elite defenders for this level, I think they will wax off the bench with each other.

Exum is the one that I struggle to place.

Most starters have an obvious bench backup, Mills/Delly, Thybulle/Green, Ingles/Broekhoff, Baynes/Landale etc.

Exum could genuinely be in the 12/13 man conversation.

Both raw scorers, both have NBA athleticism and elite defenders for this level, I think they will wax off the bench with each other.

Most starters have an obvious bench backup, Mills/Delly, Thybulle/Green, Ingles/Broekhoff, Baynes/Landale etc.

Is Green a SG or a SF? I have him 3rd in line for SF with Exum next for SG and Goulding in there as a catch and shoot player.

He's a wing and interchanged in both positions for Arizona.
Fair enough. I have him in that 11-13 position right now.

Thybulle is an animal defensively.

Exactly what you want for FIBA ball.

We are going to need someone like that to lock down the best scorer in these opposition Euro and South American sides, that almost always come from the guards and he's one of the best defenders in the NBA.

He's a nailed on starter for mine.

I think Paddy will play the point, especially after the year he's had.

Simmons at PF with the odd ball handling.

I think Delly runs the second team.

Baynes plays as he spreads the floor with Simmons on the court.

Simmons will play in the post imo and just look to dunk over most sides off the Ingles/Mills/Baynes P&R's.

Mills
Thybulle
Ingles
Simmons
Baynes

Would be my starting side....

Bolden is such a waste, 3-4 years ago he looked like forming an incredibly athletic 1/2 defensive rim protection combo with Simmons at this level.
I’d say this is the consensus starting lineup.

My main concern is where our bench scoring is going to come from, as I’m not exactly convinced with how our bench spacing would work. Delly/Exum/Green aren’t exactly the most reliable shooters, and obviously Broekhoff can shoot but that isn’t enough. It’s the main reason why I’m starting to come around to the idea of having Goulding as our 13th (or 12th? Is it 12 or 13 man rosters for the Olympics?) man just because he can flat out shoot the basketball. Cotton of course if he gets citizenship and is added to the squad is another option.

Also, the groups have been drawn.

Group A Iran, France, USA, OQT-Victoria
Group B Australia, OQT-Split, OQT-Belgrade, Nigeria
Group C Argentina, Japan, Spain, OQT-Kaunas

Obviously still qualifiers to be played, a quick glance at the qualifiers that lead into our group and I think it’s safe to assume that Serbia will be in our group.

My main concern is where our bench scoring is going to come from, as I’m not exactly convinced with how our bench spacing would work. Delly/Exum/Green aren’t exactly the most reliable shooters, and obviously Broekhoff can shoot but that isn’t enough. It’s the main reason why I’m starting to come around to the idea of having Goulding as our 13th (or 12th? Is it 12 or 13 man rosters for the Olympics?) man just because he can flat out shoot the basketball. Cotton of course if he gets citizenship and is added to the squad is another option.

Obviously still qualifiers to be played, a quick glance at the qualifiers that lead into our group and I think it’s safe to assume that Serbia will be in our group.
Goulding is almost a guarantee for that 11-13 (I think it's 13) spot.

Delly was pretty productive at the World Champs. He can score if he's given the license, which he does have with the Boomers.

He shot like s**t in those final rounds, he could have scored a lot more, he had a large volume of shots.

1612321214493.png

Delly was pretty productive at the World Champs. He can score if he's given the license, which he does have with the Boomers.

View attachment 1050474
Yep, not saying that he can’t score just that I wouldn’t exactly be relying 100% on him. As evidenced in those last couple of games when he shot poorly.

My boomers team-
Pg- Mills, (Simmons), Delly
Sg- Ingles, Thybulle, Exum
Sf- Broekhoff, (Thybulle), Creek
Pf- Simmons, Landale, (Maker)
C- Baynes, Humphries, Maker

With Simmons you need shooters around him and those 4 other starters can shoot the 3 ball well. Simmons best position for the boomers is PF.

I have green missing out to creek due to experience. ATM Humphries is the obvious replacement for bogut. I have maker as back up centre who can also play as a PF.

Exum would 9-12 in the rotation and playing when defensive assignments are required. Delly to backup Mills and Simmons. I would like to pick Giddey but too inexperienced for Olympics games.

I would think that while ingles and mills would be starters that you would still try to split their minutes over into running with the bench crew so we have them as scorers as well.

I’m really hoping dejan vasilivic (not even gonna bother trying to spell that correctly) scoring prowess as a junior and emerging in the nbl translates because he could be an excellent addition to the future boomers and a good match with the athletes we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On paper its a pretty good squad, but someone needs to lean hard on the immigration department to get Cotton into this team, he's really the perfect addition, suddenly there are two elite perimeter options rather than just Mills.

Mills/Cotton/Ingles/Simmons/Baynes/Exum/Thybulle is a bit of an unconventional lineup but potentially extremely good first 7, combining elite perimeter shooting, hard nosed defence and a world class distributor.

But * me, Brian Goorjian? As in unsuccessful china basketball association assistant coach Brian ******* Goorjian? As in two decades of consistent boomer failure in international basketball Brian Goorjian? Could they not have put up just a tiny amount of cash to have borrowed an NBA coach for a few months? The list is definitely good enough to medal, they deserve a decent coach.

Last edited:
I would think that while ingles and mills would be starters that you would still try to split their minutes over into running with the bench crew so we have them as scorers as well.

I’m really hoping dejan vasilivic (not even gonna bother trying to spell that correctly) scoring prowess as a junior and emerging in the nbl translates because he could be an excellent addition to the future boomers and a good match with the athletes we have.
I’ve watched him play a couple of times now and could definitely see him playing a similar role to what Goulding has done in the past a few years down the line.

No Bolden is probably the most notable omission, along with the ??? surrounding Bryce Cotton and citizenship.

From that maybe something like

Simmons
Mills
Thybulle
Ingles
Baynes
Dellavedova
Exum
Broekhoff
Creek / Cooks
Humphries (if he keeps up MVP form) / Landale / Kay
Green
Maker
One of above/Goulding

Idk, a lot to play out. Overall I’d say the squad has been picked well, I see a few ways they could go with it and only a couple of players who aren’t any real chance of getting a gig.
The paperwork for Cotton is still being finalised. He can still be added to the squad as could someone like Makur Maker if he came on in leaps and bounds in 2021.
They will probably go with Simmons, Baynes and three other bigs. Although Josh Green and Thybulle have huge wingspans and could play as bigs if they wanted for short periods. Thybulle and Green actually have spent time at the 4 in the NBA.

Geez I feel sorry for Dante. I sill think he is young enough to be a massive star at international level. He played some great exhibition games this NBA preseason. The media was all over how good he was defensively in the first game of the NBA. Then he got injured. At 25 he is still young enough to be a great Boomer. Ingles was not even in the NBA at 25. If he is fit then I think he will be a star on this team. 6th man at worst.

Is Green a SG or a SF? I have him 3rd in line for SF with Exum next for SG and Goulding in there as a catch and shoot player.
Green's more a 3 and has actually started a couple of NBA games at the 4. He is 196cm but with a 210cm (6'11) inch wingspan. Thybulle has a 7 foot wingspan too. The Boomers could easily give Mattisse or Josh time at the 4 if they wanted to go for a small ball line-up.
Cotton can be added to the squad still as his paperwork has not yet gone through, but he will be eligible. It could come down to a choice between Cotton or Goulding.

Green's more a 3 and has actually started a couple of NBA games at the 4. He is 196cm but with a 210cm (6'11) inch wingspan. Thybulle has a 7 foot wingspan too. The Boomers could easily give Mattisse or Josh time at the 4 if they wanted to go for a small ball line-up.
Cotton can be added to the squad still as his paperwork has not yet gone through, but he will be eligible. It could come down to a choice between Cotton or Goulding.
That's a pretty easy choice.

But **** me, Brian Goorjian? As in unsuccessful china basketball association assistant coach Brian ******* Goorjian? As in two decades of consistent boomer failure in international basketball Brian Goorjian? Could they not have put up just a tiny amount of cash to have borrowed an NBA coach for a few months? The list is definitely good enough to medal, they deserve a decent coach.
At least he won't be able to just go with Sydney Kings + former Sydney Kings lineups like he used to do. I'm surprised he didn't pick David Barlow in the squad this time.

Delly far from a certainty if this is anything to go by.

I was wondering if this was a possibility. Shouldn't risk his future any further if it's really serious. I just hope that he'll be okay long term. Very sad if he has to end his career prematurely, but his health is more important.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back