Australian basketball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Exum available do you know? If not then two of Green, Goulding, Sobey and Creek make it I think. Sobey really has improved since the World Champs. He was a late comer to basketball and would be a good addition as he is athletic and can guard onball at a high level.

If he gets to the 16 man training camp he could move past Delly too. He really gives the Boomers a more athletic look than Delly when paired with Mills in the backcourt. Ingles or Simmons can play the point in offence so Mills and Sobey could be essentially off ball shooters who share bringing up the ball.

I’m doubting Exum will play. He didn’t even seem close to getting back and I don’t think it would be a good business decision for him to play.

Sobey never should have been left out of that initial squad, it was a slap in the face, considering some of the players named. Seemed to spur him on to a great NBL season though, so good for him.

Couldn’t see him moving past Delly though, a known quantity at the level, with exisiting chemistry and relationships.

I’m doubting Exum will play. He didn’t even seem close to getting back and I don’t think it would be a good business decision for him to play.

Sobey never should have been left out of that initial squad, it was a slap in the face, considering some of the players named. Seemed to spur him on to a great NBL season though, so good for him.

Couldn’t see him moving past Delly though, a known quantity at the level, with exisiting chemistry and relationships.
Yeah it's interesting. It could be a choice between Green and Sobey. I do like Sobey and Mills paired for a bit in the backcourt both playing the 2 but also dribbling up the ball at times. Simmons needs off ball shooters not another ball handler when on court

This what the experts have picked! Probably will be the most talented Boomers squad that has been put together to date.

Attachments

• E892ADE2-F383-43E2-9D68-C88055543E50.png
    E892ADE2-F383-43E2-9D68-C88055543E50.png
    750.4 KB · Views: 76

This what the experts have picked! Probably will be the most talented Boomers squad that has been put together to date.
I'm taking the first two rows minus Giddey, with Landale, Creek and either Motum or Kay as the 12 if that's the 15. As far as the defensive depth chart goes:

PG: Mills, Delly
SG: Ingles, Goulding, Green
SF: Thybulle, Broekhoff, Creek
PF: Simmons, Motum/Kay
C: Baynes, Landale

But obviously Landale can play at the 4 as well, as can Thybulle. Incredible defensive depth.

I'm taking the first two rows minus Giddey, with Landale, Creek and either Motum or Kay as the 12 if that's the 15. As far as the defensive depth chart goes:

But obviously Landale can play at the 4 as well, as can Thybulle. Incredible defensive depth.
I would pick the same except replace motion/Kay with Humphries.

People should note if the NBA finals go to Game 7, they finish 22 July. The firat Australian Olympic mens basketball game is on 25 July.

If the finals are Philly vs Utah, we will have three players with almost zero practice time with the national team.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

My final 12 would now be. Mills, Ingles, Thybulle, Simmons, Baynes (starting 5) Delly, Green, Broekhoff, Kay, Landale, Humphries, Goulding, Giddey or Sobey for Goulding if either kills it at training camp.Creek could make the team ahead of Green as the 3 and D guy off bench. I think we need an extra big man in our team to protect the rim so I have Humphries instead of Creek who you named. I think Kay is a must selection for his defence on bigs despite giving up size to many at the last World Champs.

People should note if the NBA finals go to Game 7, they finish 22 July. The firat Australian Olympic mens basketball game is on 25 July.

If the finals are Philly vs Utah, we will have three players with almost zero practice time with the national team.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
So be it. At least they would be match fit.

My final 12 would now be. Mills, Ingles, Thybulle, Simmons, Baynes (starting 5) Delly, Green, Broekhoff, Kay, Landale, Humphries, Goulding, Giddey or Sobey for Goulding if either kills it at training camp.Creek could make the team ahead of Green as the 3 and D guy off bench. I think we need an extra big man in our team to protect the rim so I have Humphries instead of Creek who you named. I think Kay is a must selection for his defence on bigs despite giving up size to many at the last World Champs.
Is Kay a must? With Simmons and Thybulle, I think Kay is not required. This allows another guard to be in the squad. Giddey won’t be playing due to NBA draft. Goulding will play due to his 3 point shot.

Is Kay a must? With Simmons and Thybulle, I think Kay is not required. This allows another guard to be in the squad. Giddey won’t be playing due to NBA draft. Goulding will play due to his 3 point shot.
Yep. I think Kay is a must. He was really good up until the finals at the last World Champs. I think Ingles and Thybulle will be on the court a fair bit together so one of those will be playing guard minutes in terms of of rotations. We will probably have some unique line up where there will only be one pure guard on the court but the likes of Ingles, Simmons and Thybulle playing roles bringing the ball up too.

Yep. I think Kay is a must. He was really good up until the finals at the last World Champs. I think Ingles and Thybulle will be on the court a fair bit together so one of those will be playing guard minutes in terms of of rotations. We will probably have some unique line up where there will only be one pure guard on the court but the likes of Ingles, Simmons and Thybulle playing roles bringing the ball up too.
Problem he does not fit with Simmons. Simmons and Landale would play the 4 majority of the time. Thybulle play the 4 when playing small ball. Delly, Ingles, Mills along with Simmons will be the Guards. With Thybulle, Creek, Green and Broekhoff are likely to be SF depending who the coach prefers. I also believe Motum is underrated and his form in Europe has been outstanding compared to Kay. It will depend what the coach want as Goorijan like specific types of players.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Dante Exum alive? Would love to see him on the team, but obviously health is always a rather large issue with him.
Was named in the extended squad a while back, no idea if he’s healthy yet though.

No chance of being named even if healthy. He hasn’t played for so so long.
Initially I was going to say that I could see him maybe being invited to the drop in camp if healthy, but yeah going through it even that is probably unlikely. Olgun tweeted that there will be a revised squad of about 16 or 17 announced soon, presumably for the drop in camp.

I’d probably go with this as the 16/17

Ben Simmons
Patty Mills
Joe Ingles
Aron Baynes
Matisse Thybulle
Matthew Dellavedova
Josh Green
Ryan Broekhoff
Jock Landale
Mitch Creek
Brock Motum
Nick Kay
Chris Goulding
Nathan Sobey
Isaac Humphries
Josh Giddey?
Thon Maker?/Dante Exum?/Will Magnay

What’s going on with Thon? All I’ve seen since the Cavs released him is that he has got stupidly jacked, to the point I’d probably question whether he took steroids.

Little bit of news from the competition.

Dame and Draymond have committed to play for the US. Kinda surprised that Draymond is considered an auto-inclusion, but a quick look at their squad suggests he probably gets a game anyway. LeBron has already more or less said he isn’t playing.

Jokic announced he won’t be playing for Serbia, assuming they qualify.

I do worry about our remaining NBA guys availability the further they get in the playoffs.

Little bit of news from the competition.

Dame and Draymond have committed to play for the US. Kinda surprised that Draymond is considered an auto-inclusion, but a quick look at their squad suggests he probably gets a game anyway. LeBron has already more or less said he isn’t playing.

Jokic announced he won’t be playing for Serbia, assuming they qualify.

I do worry about our remaining NBA guys availability the further they get in the playoffs.
I'm not overly worried about Ingles. It's pretty much gonna be his last chance at a medal for Australia.

I think Simmons and Thybulle will still play

The only ones that might decide not to play is Simmons & Thybulle. All the others are locks barring injury inc Ingles. Hopefully Green won't make a Bolden-like decision.
Hope that if Simmons declines to join the team, Thybulle won't be influenced by his decision.
Need to get Thybulle in green and gold asap, with his rapid improvement, the USA might get in his ear soon depending on other players' availability for future tournaments.

I'm not overly worried about Ingles. It's pretty much gonna be his last chance at a medal for Australia.

I think Simmons and Thybulle will still play
I was going to add I’m not at all worried about Ingles. Moreso the other two.

19 man squad for the Vegas camp has been announced -

Only exclusions that are somewhat surprising are Maker and Magnay.

Trying to come up with what I think we take and it’s not easy. Everything I’ve seen suggests we will at the very least be picking Giddey in the 15 man, likely the 12th man on the roster. I don’t know if I’d personally take him, but I’ll work around him being in.

Mills/Delly/Giddey*
Thybulle/Green
Ingles/Broekhoff
Simmons/Motum
Baynes/Landale/Humphries

* I’d very strongly consider taking Goulding instead

3 emergencies to round out the 15 - Kay, Sobey, Creek

Humphries a coin flip with Kay. I’d have both in the 15 man for the practice games and pick whoever performs better. Motum has been dominating in Europe from all reports.

If Exum is fit he probably makes the side, but that question mark is so large I simply left him out. I’m struggling to see who he replaces other than Giddey or Green. I think we will need Broekhoff’s shooting… Just going to pretend the SEM stint never happened.

The one that isn’t sitting with me right for leaving out is Goulding. I feel his shooting could be very valuable, especially if Broekhoff’s cold streak continues. Green especially struggled from 3 this year which doesn’t fill me with confidence. Could easily take Goulding over Sobey or Giddey.

It’s tough. A lot will come down to camp and practice game performances I suspect, as everyone in the 19 has at least some claim as to why they should make the team.

Last edited:
Trying to come up with what I think we take and it’s not easy. Everything I’ve seen suggests we will at the very least be picking Giddey in the 15 man, likely the 12th man on the roster. I don’t know if I’d personally take him, but I’ll work around him being in.

Mills/Delly/Giddey*
Thybulle/Green
Ingles/Broekhoff
Simmons/Motum
Baynes/Landale/Humphries

* I’d very strongly consider taking Goulding instead

3 emergencies to round out the 15 - Kay, Sobey, Creek

Humphries a coin flip with Kay. I’d have both in the 15 man for the practice games and pick whoever performs better. Motum has been dominating in Europe from all reports.

If Exum is fit he probably makes the side, but that question mark is so large I simply left him out. I’m struggling to see who he replaces other than Giddey or Green. I think we will need Broekhoff’s shooting… Just going to pretend the SEM stint never happened.

The one that isn’t sitting with me right for leaving out is Goulding. I feel his shooting could be very valuable, especially if Broekhoff’s cold streak continues. Green especially struggled from 3 this year which doesn’t fill me with confidence. Could easily take Goulding over Sobey or Giddey.

It’s tough. A lot will come down to camp and practice game performances I suspect, as everyone in the 19 has at least some claim as to why they should make the team.
Goulding is literally the perfect 11th/12th man in FIBA Ball. He's got the experience, knows what his role would be (catch and shoot) and the class beyond the arc to simply make it work. For me it's:

Mills/Delly
Ingles/Green/Goulding
Thybulle/Broekhoff/Exum
Simmons/Motum
Baynes/Landale

If Thybulle and Simmons elect not to play then Humphries and Creek do. If Exum is also unfit then it's probably Sobey. Hell, I'd comsider not taking Motum and having Thybulle/Ingles play a small ball 4 if necessary with Creek in there as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back