The Future of Fyfe

Remove this Banner Ad

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Obviously we don't know if and when Nat is going to be back. His future seems cloudy and he's had no luck at all last couple of years.

I was just thinking though, if he was to be able to get back on the field reliably at something like full fitness and given how awful our midfield has been do you think he should come in as a centre mid and add some of that grunt he brings in extracting the ball? Certainly there have been games this year where I've though he would have been mighty handy to inject in the centre when we've been getting schooled.

Or is he just too old now and we should try and get a solid block out of him as a pure forward? I think he has the skills to make a go of it I'm just not sure if that's where his best value is going to come.

Alternatively could we try something totally rad and make a winger or a half back out of him? Imagine him behind the ball using his contested marking to play as a floating interceptor. Or playing the Acres role and just linking up. Obviously he's one of the best get out of jail marks from our Hail Mary kick ins.

Depends on the state of his body. Either way the midfield as it is isn't going to get it done. Need to add some size, skill, hard run and speed.

I was originally onboard with him becoming a forward when I thought we had a good midfield, and when I thought it would help extend his career. It is now apparent to me that:

a) we do not have a good midfield
b) he still has a fair learning curve ahead of him to be anywhere near as good a forward as he is a mid
c) he appears just as likely to get injured playing forward as midfield, and possibly has very limited time left in the game

The only logical conclusion I can draw from the above is we might as well play him in his best position for the time he has left, until such time he becomes ineffective in there.

I have put a line through Fyfe for this season, and maybe for good in Purple.
He is at least five to six weeks away from getting anywhere near AFL match fit.
I am not sure the club will push him to fulfill the rest of his contract. Sadly, very sadly, a mere shadow of the player we know. Injury has crippled his career.A great of not only the Dockers, but of the AFL.

Assuming he actually gets back on the park ... I would bring Fyfe back as the sub and have him come on early/mid 3rd quarter. After a few weeks or a month, then he goes into the starting rotation. Possibly gets subbed out late 3rd.

Play him as inside mid at centre bounces (and repeat bounces if ball is not cleared). Then move forward. Have a player like Johnson or Erasmus start at half forward and then switch.

Let’s just see if Fyfe plays again before making predictions. On the injury front, If Fyfe was a test 3 weeks ago, and is listed at TBA every week since, doesn’t this prove that the club are just guessing? ..throw in tabs getting surgery now (when it should have been the off season) and the horrendous history of Joel Hamling, and you do begin to wonder what is going on.

Assuming he actually gets back on the park ... I would bring Fyfe back as the sub and have him come on early/mid 3rd quarter. After a few weeks or a month, then he goes into the starting rotation. Possibly gets subbed out late 3rd.

Play him as inside mid at centre bounces (and repeat bounces if ball is not cleared). Then move forward. Have a player like Johnson or Erasmus start at half forward and then switch.

I like it. That would make up for his lack of pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s just see if Fyfe plays again before making predictions. On the injury front, If Fyfe was a test 3 weeks ago, and is listed at TBA every week since, doesn’t this prove that the club are just guessing? ..throw in tabs getting surgery now (when it should have been the off season) and the horrendous history of Joel Hamling, and you do begin to wonder what is going on.
I see where Bell said today that Fyfe now has a calf injury. Not his foot problem, and said he is close.
I just wish they would stop bullshitting to the members and supporters.
I would prefer Bell or whoever to come out and say, he is not expected to play again this season. Then there is no expectations of him playing.
I have put a line through him for this year and sadly, maybe forever in Purple.

Last edited:
I don't think putting him into the midfield is realistic considering he spent the pre-season training as a forward. Also he will lack match fitness, and is not great defensively, so a predominant forward role probably works well.

However, I want him to start in the middle at first bounce, and be in the mids for the first 5-10 mins. Set the tone for the boys, and win the hard ball. We're horrific at the beginning of matches, and it would be great to have someone leading from the front. He then moves forward which could cause a mismatch - and have spells later in the midfield when needed.

I would hate to see us burn bridges with Fyfe. He gave so much to the club. Our first Brownlow medal winner. I'll never forget how dominant he was in 2015 before Mitchell corked his knee. And him heroically playing on in the preliminary final against the Hawks with a broken leg.

I don't think putting him into the midfield is realistic considering he spent the pre-season training as a forward. Also he will lack match fitness, and is not great defensively, so a predominant forward role probably works well.

However, I want him to start in the middle at first bounce, and be in the mids for the first 5-10 mins. Set the tone for the boys, and win the hard ball. We're horrific at the beginning of matches, and it would be great to have someone leading from the front. He then moves forward which could cause a mismatch - and have spells later in the midfield when needed.

I would hate to see us burn bridges with Fyfe. He gave so much to the club. Our first Brownlow medal winner. I'll never forget how dominant he was in 2015 before Mitchell corked his knee. And him heroically playing on in the preliminary final against the Hawks with a broken leg.
Fyfe is not fit or built like he was when he dominated.
I would hate to see him struggle as an inside mid..it was bad enough seeing him slipping over in the forward line ..
Half back flank taking marks on the wing in patches ? Resting at full forward ?
It's an issue that we couldn't really nail down last year..

It worries me about the "one shot in the gun". Will he continue to run at quarter and half time?

They will be able to keep him warm, put him on a bike and there are a couple of other different options. A lot of athletes from many codes deal with it and come back out after half time and go fine.

But, the way he put it, it is an understandable reaction. I would think it would be as much about not having a physio and a bike or something similar dedicated to him while he isn't playing as the sub.

That interview - two things for me stood out - unbelievable on the level of effort he’s put in to fix this issue

And two - he’s not the fyfe we all remember and what him to come back to, but the will power and mental fortitude, plus articulating himself so well.. what a legend

I just hope he has a good solid patch without any injuries that gives him the confidence and want to keep playing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back