List Mgmt. The future of McCarthy, & Tomlinson (opposition supporters welcome but tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

The way I read it was that they reassigned $500m from next year to the following four years, which suggests he may have quite a low base salary for his performance under the new contract (say, $400k p.a.) that's getting bumped up (e.g. to $525k p.a.) as a result of the pay "cut".
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Although, if I thought he had a front-ended contract, then I'd think that his annual salary in 2017 would be close to $500k. For example, 2012 & 2013 = $2m p.a. then 2014-2017 = $500k p.a. Therefore, not really sufficient base to reassign $500k. So perhaps it wasn't as front-ended as we all presumed, or perhaps he's shaved only say $200k off and redistributed it. For example, originally 2017 = $500k; revised 2017 $300k. Base salary 2018-2021 = $500k p.a. revised to $550k p.a. I'm sure any club media guidance would 'simplify' the information for journos. Doesn't really matter - he's close to what he's worth now, he accepted his new lot in life easily, and seems very happy in Sydney with GWS. And playing brilliantly. So all's good.

Western Australian Article.

Freo fans melting about us again.
Flogs all of them

GREATER Western Sydney says it would be happy to trade Cam McCarthy to West Coast if it offered a superior deal to Fremantle.
McCarthy is contracted to the Giants until the end of next year, and intent on being traded to the Dockers after last year’s aborted deal. He is working part-time while training with South Fremantle, intent on resuming his career after a year where he has thrown off his anxiety issues.
He is hopeful the Giants will soon accept he will not return and work towards a commitment with the Dockers for next year. But Giants football boss Wayne Campbell told the Herald Sun all options were still on the table for the 21-year-old, 192cm goalkicker. “There are lots of outcomes still. One is Fremantle, one is West Coast, there are 15 other sides and he might stay at GWS for another year or for 10 more years,’’ he said. “Players don’t often not get to where they want to go to, it means the club is committed to them, but if the West Coast deal is a lot stronger, then so be it.
“When we get an outcome with Fremantle or West Coast or wherever else that satisfies them or us, he would be released. It wouldn’t be before that.” West Coast has expressed some interest in the second-year budding star, but Fremantle sees him as a key part of its 2017 rebuild. A forward line with McCarthy, Matt Taberner and attacking midfielder Nat Fyfe would see the club shooting up the ladder.
The Dockers have no second-round pick, but might be prepared to offer a future second-round pick or a swap of players to seal a deal.
South Fremantle’s training ground is the same oval used by the Dockers, so they have an intimate understanding of his progress. He was granted indefinite leave after being diagnosed with anxiety and depressive issues, but has made significant progress in recent months.
In his second year at GWS he kicked a remarkable 35.14 from 20 games before hitting rock bottom in the last few weeks of the year.
GWS coach Leon Cameron said last month he was losing hope McCarthy would return.“It looks more and more unlikely (he’ll play for GWS),” he said. “What is really pleasing though is he’s fit and healthy, healthy within himself and feeling good about himself. He’s doing a fair bit of work with (WAFL club) South Fremantle, which I think was a great choice for Cam and also the footy club to come up with that idea. “Dealing with his management has been really good. We’re all on the same page and that’s to make Cam McCarthy feel good about himself and to play AFL footy.”

Last edited:

Can someone help me clear this up. If Mccarthy refuses to go to west coast and then no trade goes through with Freo can he go to the pre season draft if he doesn't sign a new contract with gws...? If so I'd be looking at gws thinking you could've had 2 first rounders for him last year. (I know you don't really need them though :huh:). Feel it could get messier than it already is, doubt we'll ever get the full story for this one.

Can someone help me clear this up. If Mccarthy refuses to go to west coast and then no trade goes through with Freo can he go to the pre season draft if he doesn't sign a new contract with gws...? If so I'd be looking at gws thinking you could've had 2 first rounders for him last year. (I know you don't really need them though :huh:). Feel it could get messier than it already is, doubt we'll ever get the full story for this one.
If no trade goes through, which i doubt, he will sit out another year until his contract finishs. Then we go through the trade talk again.
If again nothing happens he goes into the draft.

Giants did the right thing. At the time freo were in top so two late 1st rounders werent what was best for the club and he was a star player. According to the above report he is still wanted badly at freo.
He is also being looked after by the Giants in every way, bar taking it up the butthole from freo in trade talks.

If no trade goes through, which i doubt, he will sit out another year until his contract finishs. Then we go through the trade talk again.
If again nothing happens he goes into the draft.

Giants did the right thing. At the time freo were in top so two late 1st rounders werent what was best for the club and he was a star player. According to the above report he is still wanted badly at freo.
He is also being looked after by the Giants in every way, bar taking it up the butthole from freo in trade talks.
Cheers !! Ok, didn't realise he was locked in for 2017 as well, Very briefly, I know its the wrong thread but I can't see a thread and I'm short on time, I just wanted an opinion on Ahern. I think he's a jet, do the giants on BF rate him/ think he's staying or going?

Western Australian Article.
Freo fans melting about us again.
Flogs all of them
Slow news (or rather that should be 'olds') day at the West Orstralian obviously. Possibly trying to keep the heat off Ross and the continuing poor Freo performance?

Nothing new or unique in the article - why bother publishing it except to stir up resentment? But it worked - the Freo BF board is overflowing with last year's view that they deserve him and by * how dare GWS not just hand him over. Entitled prats. And how simple it is for the media to manipulate them. :drunk: :D

Slow news (or rather that should be 'olds') day at the West Orstralian obviously. Possibly trying to keep the heat off Ross and the continuing poor Freo performance?

Nothing new or unique in the article - why bother publishing it except to stir up resentment? But it worked - the Freo BF board is overflowing with last year's view that they deserve him and by **** how dare GWS not just hand him over. Entitled prats. And how simple it is for the media to manipulate them. :drunk: :D
The funniest part is. If we trade him to West Coast instead of failmantle we are hurting him mentally still, fmd what ferals.

The funniest part is. If we trade him to West Coast instead of failmantle we are hurting him mentally still, fmd what ferals.

When you are that "special" that only getting what you want works you don't have a mental disorder, you are a spoiled little *

Last edited:
So, the news that Brad Hill wants out of Hawthorn and over to Fremantle adds an interesting dimension to working a McCarthy trade. Some similarities but certainly differences to the McCarthy situation; but more so IMO it could complicate the McCarthy situation, although there may be an opportunity to get value for GWS in facilitating the two moves.

Fremantle will have a very high pick (probably #3) - their first so high for many years - and will not want to give it away easily. The fact that there are a couple of WA players in the mix for top 10, and just the desire to grab a top 10 player for their revitalisation, plus also fan demands to keep and use the pick will be an impediment. And then they don't have their second round pick after the decision to trade in a GCS 2015 pick for 2016, so they have less options to trade. They won't want to trade 2017 picks if they can help it, given the reputed quality in the 2017 draft, but have limited value in players to trade.

As always, there's a great risk that they'll overvalue their own players and undervalue the oppositions'. Case in point, thinking Mayne is worth a first rounder but Hill not. (You can argue variously on who's worth what, my point being the relative assessment.) McCarthy's value remains ambiguous, but also I think that the AFL hierarchy have probably told both clubs to get it done. Reading between the lines of the news reports, I would think that Hawks will accept losing Hill - providing they receive an acceptable price. I'm sure they'll want a late first rounder (15-18 say) and Freo probably only want to give up a second rounder. Unfortunately, Freo have none of those in possession. Not sure if there's anyone on Freo's list that they are prepared to release that Hawks would want to help facilitate the trade (hmmm, does that sound familiar?). Which is where it's complicated for also trying to come up with a trade for McCarthy. The difference for us is that we're happy to take lower picks providing it gives sufficient points, whereas lower round picks are less attractive to Hawthorn. Of course, Freo could just ditch McCarthy in favour of Hill if it gets too hard - which would put Weagles squarely in the picture to pick him up for not much.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Much public posturing and of course good ol' BF sniping over the next 3 months is my prediction!

So, the news that Brad Hill wants out of Hawthorn and over to Fremantle adds an interesting dimension to working a McCarthy trade. Some similarities but certainly differences to the McCarthy situation; but more so IMO it could complicate the McCarthy situation, although there may be an opportunity to get value for GWS in facilitating the two moves.

Fremantle will have a very high pick (probably #3) - their first so high for many years - and will not want to give it away easily. The fact that there are a couple of WA players in the mix for top 10, and just the desire to grab a top 10 player for their revitalisation, plus also fan demands to keep and use the pick will be an impediment. And then they don't have their second round pick after the decision to trade in a GCS 2015 pick for 2016, so they have less options to trade. They won't want to trade 2017 picks if they can help it, given the reputed quality in the 2017 draft, but have limited value in players to trade.

As always, there's a great risk that they'll overvalue their own players and undervalue the oppositions'. Case in point, thinking Mayne is worth a first rounder but Hill not. (You can argue variously on who's worth what, my point being the relative assessment.) McCarthy's value remains ambiguous, but also I think that the AFL hierarchy have probably told both clubs to get it done. Reading between the lines of the news reports, I would think that Hawks will accept losing Hill - providing they receive an acceptable price. I'm sure they'll want a late first rounder (15-18 say) and Freo probably only want to give up a second rounder. Unfortunately, Freo have none of those in possession. Not sure if there's anyone on Freo's list that they are prepared to release that Hawks would want to help facilitate the trade (hmmm, does that sound familiar?). Which is where it's complicated for also trying to come up with a trade for McCarthy. The difference for us is that we're happy to take lower picks providing it gives sufficient points, whereas lower round picks are less attractive to Hawthorn. Of course, Freo could just ditch McCarthy in favour of Hill if it gets too hard - which would put Weagles squarely in the picture to pick him up for not much.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Much public posturing and of course good ol' BF sniping over the next 3 months is my prediction!

That's my favourite!

When I heard about Hill wanting out my first thought was McCarthy and either ours or geelongs first(whoever finishes high up the ladder) for freos 2017 first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I heard about Hill wanting out my first thought was McCarthy and either ours or geelongs first(whoever finishes high up the ladder) for freos 2017 first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't be dealing a first rounder for a future first rounder. Every chance Freo rebounds and we've given them McCarthy for free.

Wouldn't be dealing a first rounder for a future first rounder. Every chance Freo rebounds and we've given them McCarthy for free.

With possible changes to the academy bidding a future first is more valuable than a current first. I'm expecting either our first or geelongs to be 17/18 and I can't see how freo would rebound too dramatically.

We have so many 2016 picks already and will get more that they effectively become worthless with the way the system works because you could use picks from the 2nd or third round. That loophole won't exist next year so the first rounder is more valuable.

I get where you are coming from but as much as we don't like it, realistically McCarthy prob doesn't hold much value

Well Marchbank needs a shoulder reco so that's it for him in 2016.

I think at this point we need to get a definite answer and if it is that he wants to return to Benalla then I think we need clarity.

With the emergence of Harry Himmelberg who looks every bit as promising and is 1 cm taller I think we just start the Auction and if anyone is prepared to give a 17' first rounder just pay the man.

Love Marchbank and reckon he is Group 1 but he has had numerous injuries before being drafted and since being listed and if he is determined to go home then fine by me.

Competition and a lack of available talls should inflate his value so it should end up ok for us if he does go but just a shame that another high draft pick bites the dust.

It may well be decided either way. Club wouldn't publicise this time of year IMO. With him in rehab:sweat: I wonder if it doesn't make it more likely he'll stay. Offers will reduce I would have thought, unless he genuinely just wants out. In which case I'm with previous post.

Is Caleb Marchbank leaning towards staying or going? out of interest, would North Melbourne be a chance for his services if he chooses the latter? Cheers.

Is Caleb Marchbank leaning towards staying or going? out of interest, would North Melbourne be a chance for his services if he chooses the latter? Cheers.

The most recent public statement/conjecture I've seen was Jake Niall a few weeks ago on AFL Tonight, where he was saying its a genuine 50/50. At this point the kid just doesn't know. With some players you get a sense one way or another, but in this case, it's completely up in the air. That of course, was pre-injury. Who knows how that affects a young kid's mind.

The most recent public statement/conjecture I've seen was Jake Niall a few weeks ago on AFL Tonight, where he was saying its a genuine 50/50. At this point the kid just doesn't know. With some players you get a sense one way or another, but in this case, it's completely up in the air. That of course, was pre-injury. Who knows how that affects a young kid's mind.

Id suggest we offer him a 12 month contract extention, on the grounds he needs to be permanently over the injury before deciding where he wants to live and play in the long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back