Society/Culture The future of our society

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm sure every generation worries about the future. But the situation currently seems unique. With the rise of AI and machines, what does the future hold?
Obviously plenty of unskilled workers are screwed, with factories/farms etc going people free. Anyone who's a driver of any kindk is in trouble.
But what about the higher level jobs that could go as well? GPs, accountants, lawyers etc. People beginning law next year could potentially be out if a job before they finish their degree.
There's going to be a massive shortfall of paid employment. We can't all code robots.
What happens then? Do we descend in to a Mad Max style world where we fight, steal and kill for resources and survival?
Do we implement a basic living wage? If so, how would it be implemented when the rich won't want to give up their wealth?
Would be interested to here people's thoughts.

Sell customised rims for AI robots.

Business will always need plebs to buy their products. Juice bars, massage parlours in shopping malls, iPhones, 24 hour gyms, crossfit boxes...none of these existed 30 years ago.

Also, never worry about lawyers; they are like cockroaches. They will come out of the nuclear winter bearing lawsuits.

There will be teething pains as technologies change and radically alter long-required industries and jobs. Maybe even more than teething pains. But, it will also drive innovation and create new industries that we aren't even able to imagine as yet.

Yes this has always been true. Automated telephone connections a good example.

I do feel it is a bit different this time, the capital may end up being too concentrated.

People talk of things like a UBI to help with the transition. There may be a case for this, and the flipside is that a few big companies are making lots of money or of our data without really compensating is for it.

Just as our labour should not be free, nor should our data. It's a change in mindset but we are getting ripped off blind in this area. Flybuys? Please. What a rip off.

A system of micropayments for our data is something I think we will see happen.

giphy.gif

I fear for Australia's youth. As an anti-globalists my biggest fear was that my children would have to compete with a global workforce for jobs in Australia. This is no longer a fear for the future as it's happening now, especially in local and state govt agencies.

Open borders is inevitable. The crazy leftists/globalists want it and will get it. The upside is it will save me a fortune in having to sponsor an African kiddie as he will most likely be living next door.

I do feel it is a bit different this time, the capital may end up being too concentrated.

People talk of things like a UBI to help with the transition. There may be a case for this, and the flipside is that a few big companies are making lots of money or of our data without really compensating is for it.

Just as our labour should not be free, nor should our data. It's a change in mindset but we are getting ripped off blind in this area. Flybuys? Please. What a rip off.

No doubt, data is hugely valuable commodity these days. Getting paid for it is an interesting idea. Not sure I see the likes of Facebook giving people money for something they give up so freely.

I fear for Australia's youth. As an anti-globalists my biggest fear was that my children would have to compete with a global workforce for jobs in Australia. This is no longer a fear for the future as it's happening now, especially in local and state govt agencies.

Open borders is inevitable. The crazy leftists/globalists want it and will get it. The upside is it will save me a fortune in having to sponsor an African kiddie as he will most likely be living next door.

Yes Australias (at least Adelaides) youth seem disinchanted at the moment. They seem to face greater pressures when you factor in the cost of education, changing social structures and increasing AI economy. Where we are in 20 years will be concerning if we dont find alternative avenues for opportunity.

Take the black pill and accept that is is already over. If there ever were any 'good guys' they are long gone now.

Self-interest rules the roost. Look out for yourself and follow only the rules you have to in order to get by.

Let go of this idea that you owe anything to 'society' or to your 'nation'. You don't. Only suckers think otherwise.

I say this as a former sucker. I took the black pill. It caused some pain. But I'm much better now.

I think we're still a bit away from skilled jobs like GPs and lawyers from being completely overtaken.

I think lawyers will just adapt, there will be a lot less research tasks for them but more client relation and advisory type work. One area I think will affect the legal industry is the pathway to become a lawyer. Paralegals and law clerks will be redundant when AI can just do the case research and admin tasks for the lawyers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There may be a case for this, and the flipside is that a few big companies are making lots of money or of our data without really compensating is for it.

Yes, our personal information and data should be an asset that we have much better control over. I hope that will be the case.

I think we're still a bit away from skilled jobs like GPs and lawyers from being completely overtaken.

I think lawyers will just adapt, there will be a lot less research tasks for them but more client relation and advisory type work. One area I think will affect the legal industry is the pathway to become a lawyer. Paralegals and law clerks will be redundant when AI can just do the case research and admin tasks for the lawyers.

If only legal argument was that simple.

We now have true Global corporations, who have spent years buying up the opposition and concentrating the marketplace and opportunities for workers.
Just one example is the consumers 'friend' ,Amazon, which was employing some 20,000 less casuals this year due to automation. That's on top of the years of low pay rates and slave like conditions they have been utilising

It wasn't so long ago there was a big hullaboo about a company using your email address to send you unsolicited spam or your phone number ending up in the hands of a charity cold calling company.
That is nothing compared to the level of data we are giving away with or without knowing.
It's becoming more and more difficult to not be tracked for your every movement

I'm sure every generation worries about the future. But the situation currently seems unique. With the rise of AI and machines, what does the future hold?
Obviously plenty of unskilled workers are screwed, with factories/farms etc going people free. Anyone who's a driver of any kindk is in trouble.
But what about the higher level jobs that could go as well? GPs, accountants, lawyers etc. People beginning law next year could potentially be out if a job before they finish their degree.
There's going to be a massive shortfall of paid employment. We can't all code robots.
What happens then? Do we descend in to a Mad Max style world where we fight, steal and kill for resources and survival?
Do we implement a basic living wage? If so, how would it be implemented when the rich won't want to give up their wealth?
Would be interested to here people's thoughts.

This is why it is important the robots don’t get programmed by watching The Bolt Report, listening to The Liberal Party, or reading The Herald Sun, imagine having superior beings spending all their time praying to Robo-God and hating brown coloured robots.

This is why it is important the robots don’t get programmed by watching The Bolt Report, listening to The Liberal Party, or reading The Herald Sun, imagine having superior beings spending all their time praying to Robo-God and hating brown coloured robots.

Libs have won 7 of the 9 elections, hasn’t been all bad apart from the last 4 years.

The other two I agree with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back