The future of South African Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Casual 17-for for Abbott, I know they've had and continue to possess a range of high quality quicks but he is one who certainly could have gone onto a very successful test career.

Again with thier batting being the bigger problem, while Maharaj has been good for them have to wonder what Harmer could have achieved too.

Actually thought elgar had done better than that in the last few years, seems to always be scoring runs but average of 33 and just two tons in that time.

As can be seen from his number of balls faced and his strike rate, he spends a fair bit of time hanging around, without necessarily scoring a huge amount. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but he's forced into survival mode a lot.

The last two years of Test cricket...

Batting (minimum 6 innings batted)

View attachment 763960

Bowling (minimum 540 balls/90 overs bowled)

View attachment 763961

Pretty sorry state of affairs.

fair call - but similar to Australia in many aspects.

we've only had smith dominate and the bowlers.

it may just well be a bowling dominated mini era.

south Africa and Australia are similar in many ways and they always find a way to be competitive and not down for too long.

only difference with SA and aust is that they have a knack of finding handy allrounder types.

The last two years of Test cricket...

Batting (minimum 6 innings batted)

View attachment 763960

Bowling (minimum 540 balls/90 overs bowled)

View attachment 763961

Pretty sorry state of affairs.

Those figures need to be tempered just a bit as the SA tracks have been juiced up ridiculously over the last two seasons and they’ve played about half a dozen tests in Asia where their handling of spin is just abysmal

Those figures need to be tempered just a bit as the SA tracks have been juiced up ridiculously over the last two seasons and they’ve played about half a dozen tests in Asia where their handling of spin is just abysmal

So basically they can only play well in England and the antipodes?

The current state of cricket is a worry in terms of quality test players.

SA got torn apart.

We will tear Pakistan apart.

Without ruining the fabric of test cricket, something has to give. Sure the opposition automatically winning the toss is a start, but the ICC need to be inventive because these lopsided test series is a killer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will admit, not being South African, I am aware of the quotas, but do not have enough of an understanding of the political climate to make comment on whether quotas should be in place. I will ask this though, would there be a place in the current team for Marnus Labuschagne if he had of declared his allegiance to South Africa?

I will admit, not being South African, I am aware of the quotas, but do not have enough of an understanding of the political climate to make comment on whether quotas should be in place. I will ask this though, would there be a place in the current team for Marnus Labuschagne if he had of declared his allegiance to South Africa?

yes.
Based on raw stats at least it doesn’t seem to me like they are picking coloured players over more deserving guys so much as it appears they are picking undeserving guys over better credentialed players.

yes.
Based on raw stats at least it doesn’t seem to me like they are picking coloured players over more deserving guys so much as it appears they are picking undeserving guys over better credentialed players.
I would have thought he would. The suggestion has been made by some in this thread that that may not have been the case.

yes.

Based on his shield stats before he was picked for Australia?

If he was in South Africa and had to churn out the county runs before getting a look in it would be too late, county money and the prospect of playing for England here we come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back