The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

What cost has been cut?

I believe the ABC news collection should be the best in the country, Aus is a big place, the foreign correspondents reporting the facts will always be a 'go to' service IF it does not confuse the news with opinion.

Seems to be lots of duplication in the ABC, lots of outlets in both radio & television.

IF they report the news you like.

I'm not involved in production of the 7:45 bulletin so couldn't possibly know the costs involved.

IF they report the news you like.

I'm not involved in production of the 7:45 bulletin so couldn't possibly know the costs involved.

I'm happy to assess the news from any source, I recognise spin when I see it, thats why I can support Morrison & Andrews free of idelogy.
I was happy to listen to Red on a 3AW, followed by the news, AM & Jon Faine for years.

You save cost by not incurring a cost, the station is on air, the reporters & production staff are still on the payroll, the foreign desks ....

I'm happy to assess the news from any source, I recognise spin when I see it, thats why I can support Morrison & Andrews free of idelogy.

Would love to hear why you support Morrison if that's the case.

I was happy to listen to Red on a 3AW, followed by the news, AM & Jon Faine for years.

You save cost by not incurring a cost, the station is on air, the reporters & production staff are still on the payroll, the foreign desks ....

250 less of those reporters and production staff, year after year of millions ripped out of their budget. Bulletin to be replaced by 15 minutes of birdsong.

Would love to hear why you support Morrison if that's the case.

250 less of those reporters and production staff, year after year of millions ripped out of their budget. Bulletin to be replaced by 15 minutes of birdsong.

Indeed, but here is the problem:
The corporation runs four national free-to-air television networks (ABC 1, News 24, ABC Me and ABC Comedy) and four national radio networks (RN, NewsRadio, Classic FM and Triple J), nine metropolitan broadcast radio stations and 56 regional stations, six digital-only radio stations (Double J, ABC Jazz, ABC Country, ABC Grandstand, triple j Unearthed and ABC Extra). It also streams all its radio services and provides free iview television streaming. It runs a comprehensive online news service.

Not sure its been managed or simply rolled on.

I support both Morrison & Andrews because they are doing a good job in a difficult time, no ideology, no 'my mob/your mob' simplicity.

Indeed, but here is the problem:
The corporation runs four national free-to-air television networks (ABC 1, News 24, ABC Me and ABC Comedy) and four national radio networks (RN, NewsRadio, Classic FM and Triple J), nine metropolitan broadcast radio stations and 56 regional stations, six digital-only radio stations (Double J, ABC Jazz, ABC Country, ABC Grandstand, triple j Unearthed and ABC Extra). It also streams all its radio services and provides free iview television streaming. It runs a comprehensive online news service.

Not sure its been managed or simply rolled on.

Have you ever objected to ABC budget cuts? Maybe they've found something that will actually bring some attention to their plight, good on them.

I support both Morrison & Andrews because they are doing a good job in a difficult time, no ideology, no 'my mob/your mob' simplicity.

The benefits of incumbency I guess.

Have you ever objected to ABC budget cuts? Maybe they've found something that will actually bring some attention to their plight, good on them.

The benefits of incumbency I guess.

Am I supposed to have objected, or simply observed as I have. I have often discussed the ABC with aquaintenances.

You can dismiss my political views as incumbency, its a very shallow observation. I'm not one of the 'rusted on'.

Am I supposed to have objected, or simply observed as I have. I have often discussed the ABC with aquaintenances.

First they came for the youth programs, and I did not speak out — because I was not a youth.

Then they came for the children's channel, and I did not speak out — because I was not a child.

Then they came for the 7:45am news bulletin — and then I decided to have a whinge.

You can dismiss my political views as incumbency, its a very shallow observation. I'm not one of the 'rusted on'.

Your own reason was 'he's doing a good job', was it not?

If you truly believe Morrison has done a good job over the last 12 months, I guarantee you there's plenty out there who would have done better.
But you won't see it, may not even believe it, because Morrison has the benefit of incumbency. That's all I meant.

Its relevant when the blind can not see.
Here's the problem.

You fail to recognise the effects over time of the combination of cuts and the installment of ideology into senior management positions at the ABC has whittled away at its core credo as both a force for conservatism or for progressivism, for left wing or right, as a celebration and an amalgamation of everything Australia has to offer. It has been turned, transformed into a font of faux progressivism - in order to disenfranchise socially conservative left wing voters - and a pandering tool for the sitting government. There is no nuance in their views anymore; they've taken Ida's mantras to heart. They may as well be another tabloid.

But no, you come in kicking up a fuss now that the first service that directly affects you comes along. Never you mind all the cuts before; that was ensuring that they played a straight bat on ideology. Never you mind the installation by successive Lib/Nat federal governments of cronies in order to curb everything except excessive progressivism; I'm not affected by it, and I wish they'd cut that too. I'm the Great Individualist, and I can cut through the grift and the nonsense; I alone know what is right.

Your shtick is a polite cover over your inbuilt conservativism. You do not and have not acknowledged at any point that the vast majority of ABC services are not there to service you, and you argue that they serve as a left wing analogue for the Murdoch press and the other mainstream outlets, despite them outspending the ABC by a multiple of 50. You have voted in and perpetuated the slashing of their political, cultural and social mandates, and you will continue to do so, proud that you 'voted them in, and you'll vote them out'.

You are an immense reason the ABC is disappearing, vanishing before our eyes.

Your own reason was 'he's doing a good job', was it not?

If you truly believe Morrison has done a good job over the last 12 months, I guarantee you there's plenty out there who would have done better.
But you won't see it, may not even believe it, because Morrison has the benefit of incumbency. That's all I meant.

Not being personal, I've often voted against incume, e.g Whitlam in, Whitlam out, Howard in/out .... we all know why the workers in NQ did not vote in a Shorten Govt, & imho running the encumbent line is often lazy analysis.

There is an ever increasing number of australians happy to think about how they vote.

Not being personal, I've often voted against incume, e.g Whitlam in, Whitlam out, Howard in/out .... we all know why the workers in NQ did not vote in a Shorten Govt, & imho running the encumbent line is often lazy analysis.

There is an ever increasing number of australians happy to think about how they vote.
The largest spend in election history and a well orchestrated Kill Bill campaign V a daggy dad in a cap and a cardy who stood for nothing
yeh an ever increasing number of australians happy to think about how they vote....lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's the problem.

You fail to recognise the effects over time of the combination of cuts and the installment of ideology into senior management positions at the ABC has whittled away at its core credo as both a force for conservatism or for progressivism, for left wing or right, as a celebration and an amalgamation of everything Australia has to offer. It has been turned, transformed into a font of faux progressivism - in order to disenfranchise socially conservative left wing voters - and a pandering tool for the sitting government. There is no nuance in their views anymore; they've taken Ida's mantras to heart. They may as well be another tabloid.

But no, you come in kicking up a fuss now that the first service that directly affects you comes along. Never you mind all the cuts before; that was ensuring that they played a straight bat on ideology. Never you mind the installation by successive Lib/Nat federal governments of cronies in order to curb everything except excessive progressivism; I'm not affected by it, and I wish they'd cut that too. I'm the Great Individualist, and I can cut through the grift and the nonsense; I alone know what is right.

Your shtick is a polite cover over your inbuilt conservativism. You do not and have not acknowledged at any point that the vast majority of ABC services are not there to service you, and you argue that they serve as a left wing analogue for the Murdoch press and the other mainstream outlets, despite them outspending the ABC by a multiple of 50. You have voted in and perpetuated the slashing of their political, cultural and social mandates, and you will continue to do so, proud that you 'voted them in, and you'll vote them out'.

You are an immense reason the ABC is disappearing, vanishing before our eyes.

I'd summarise your analysis as throwing money is not the only way out.

Having an opinion is licking up a fuss, really?
I understand the past, its the past & doesnt affect my opinion.

To the rusted on, in a 'my mob/your mob' scenario, making up your mind issue by issue can be challenging.

My comment on voted in, voted was in the context of ........ what context ...... the concept of encumbency. Its the way I vote, just a different version of left or right.

The largest spend in election history and a well orchestrated Kill Bill campaign V a daggy dad in a cap and a cardy who stood for nothing
yeh an ever increasing number of australians happy to think about how they vote....lol

Same old excuses, the other bloke ..... get a mirror. Turnbull doesnt have a working model, nor does Abbott or Rudd, find out what version Julia has.

Card holding unionists walked away on Joel Fitzgibbon, Joel knows why, you dont?

I'd summarise your analysis as throwing money is not the only way out.

Having an opinion is licking up a fuss, really?
I understand the past, its the past & doesnt affect my opinion.

To the rusted on, in a 'my mob/your mob' scenario, making up your mind issue by issue can be challenging.

My comment on voted in, voted was in the context of ........ what context ...... the concept of encumbency. Its the way I vote, just a different version of left or right.
Where I'd summarise your analysis as indifference and self-agrandisement.

"Stuff you, Jack! I'm alright," has been the mantra from you and yours for years. Modern Australia and it's problems are your doing.

And yet you've offered no other analysis to backup your vote? You're the one telling the story here mate - you have literally said you will vote for him because he's 'doing a good job' despite his entire prime ministership being a complete shitshow.

Is this the sort of stuff the ABC accuse Murdoch of ? No, its different :'( .... why did I know I was watching the ABC not Fox, its east to tell when you are being sold something, like it or not.

Is this the sort of stuff the ABC accuse Murdoch of ? No, its different :'( .... why did I know I was watching the ABC not Fox, its east to tell when you are being sold something, like it or not.
Perhaps if you took a more comprehensive approach ie is looking at the total output rather than isolated blunders you'd get it.

According to July 2020 Nielsen digital Content Ratings the Dirty Diggers ratings are declining by the day while the ABC is powering on. Despite attempts to neuter it by the Liberal stacked board and fellow travelling Chair.

Perhaps if you took a more comprehensive approach ie is looking at the total output rather than isolated blunders you'd get it.

According to July 2020 Nielsen digital Content Ratings the Dirty Diggers ratings are declining by the day while the ABC is powering on. Despite attempts to neuter it by the Liberal stacked board and fellow travelling Chair.
Blunder implies it was an accident.

Have no trouble seeing the wood for the trees, laughing at Craig or Chris Kenny or Paul Barry or Credlin ... laughing not buying is my choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back