The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a list, a mile long, of people that have the requisite skills.

There is supposed to be a process so that all those people with the requisite skills get a chance.

But that is not how it works, because Lie-field and co aren't interested in transparency, process or anything that means they can't give one of their mates a job.

I can confirm the director I served with did not know lifield

Can it be jobs for mates if you don’t know each other?

Out of interest, are Director General positions jobs for mates?

Apparently process doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Even the Australian cricket captain doesn’t get “captains picks” anymore

Ah my apology

I over looked the process as I thought it was a given that everyone accepted the organisation had become dysfunctional and needed external intervention.

The MD was toxic and refused to communicate, the staff were ignoring the charter.

But your are right, I would be keen to understand what the board resolution was to appoint someone outside of a process outlined. I’ll ask.

Last edited:

Ah my apology

I over looked the process as I thought it was a given that everyone accepted the organisation had become dysfunctional and needed external intervention.

The MD was toxic and refused to communicate, the staff were ignoring the charter.

But your right, I would be keen to understand what the board resolution was to appoint someone outside of a process outlined. I’ll ask.

Was the ABC Board more or less dysfunctional than the current government?

PR. A word to the wise. Making statements you either avoid answering when tested or demonstrate you can't support when you do make an attempt, does you no favours.

Liefield is an IPA functionary. Having him overseeing an organisation he wants to destroy is not only a clear conflict of interest it demonstrates the Liarberals level of integrity. Every board appointment in Liefield's time has been purely political and done to stack the board. He's not only a schlemiel he has a clear agenda.

Last edited:
Well then they are clueless as that is what they have done.

Even so why go through the charade of employing recruiters if they are going to go with a 'captain's pick'?

Today's AFR has revealed why the government has broken with the normal process for how recruiters are paid.

Apparently the firm KornFerry didn't have a mandate to find the candidate and it happens to be run by a Liberal Party donor and former NSW MP Robert Webster.

Was the ABC Board more or less dysfunctional than the current government?

Well that’s a tough question.

The current govt are pathetic but I’d go with the ABC as the ABC and govt departments have a purpose where governments don’t.

PR. A word to the wise. Making statements you either avoid answering when tested or demonstrate you can't support when you do make an attempt, does you no favours.

Liefield is an IPA functionary. Having him overseeing an organisation he wants to destroy is not only a clear conflict of interest it demonstrates the Liarberals level of integrity. Every board appointment in Liefield's time has been purely political and done to stack the board. He's not only a schlemiel he has a clear agenda.

All appointments to the board are political.

That’s one why I believe the organisation should be closed down. It no longer has a mandate given the easy access to content globally and what is produced here is opinion not news and infotainment not news.

SBS I’d cut slack for though

That’s one why I believe the organisation should be closed down. It no longer has a mandate given the easy access to content globally and what is produced here is opinion not news and infotainment not news.

You cannot close the ABC down. Just because you do not like Q&A or talk back radio does not mean that the ABC should be closed down.

The ABC provides a whole range of services that would cost a s**t load of money to be provided privately notwithstanding the that there are very few if any private networks that have the coverage.

Now you may think the ABC is biased and left leaning. At least the ABC does have some oversight and obligation to be independent.

Private media has basically been reduced to one or two major players who openly and unashamedly peddle tripe for their own personal benefit.

The equation is very simple. The ABC will stop treating the LNP like campaigners when the LNP stop behaving like campaigners.

The board appointment process hasn't always been pure but it has never been corrupted to the extent Liefield has taken it. Not only has his agenda been clear, but many of his appointments haven't any background in public broadcasting.

The ABC makes an outstanding contribution not only in public affairs matters but in so many other areas as well. To rural Australia in particular. To destroy it because of suss board appointments would be a disaster and play right into the hands of the Dirty Diggers hand maidens, the IPA.

Think Labor has undertaken to make board appointments transparent.

You cannot close the ABC down. Just because you do not like Q&A or talk back radio does not mean that the ABC should be closed down.

The ABC provides a whole range of services that would cost a s**t load of money to be provided privately notwithstanding the that there are very few if any private networks that have the coverage.

Now you may think the ABC is biased and left leaning. At least the ABC does have some oversight and obligation to be independent.

Private media has basically been reduced to one or two major players who openly and unashamedly peddle tripe for their own personal benefit.

The equation is very simple. The ABC will stop treating the LNP like campaigners when the LNP stop behaving like campaigners.

the ABC has an immensely important role to play and growing up, I enjoyed a professional and conservative (not the political definition) ABC delivering on its mandate.

If an organisation fails to be professional or fails to deliver its mandate, it should be reformed (as it has been for the last 20 years). At some stage though, it must be considered whether further reform is undertaken or simply given up on.

I'd shut down the tv stations and limit the service to the internet and radio. If it where to produce television products, it could utilise existing third party networks as it currently does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's your evidence for this claim?

it has been widely discussed in the media but just take a look at BF with the opposing views. The left are supporters of the station and the right are not. As highlighted above, I grew up with a trustworthy and professional ABC, so my complaint isn't big government. Rather it is about its failings re it's mandate.

Even the recently terminated MD's word couldn't be trusted. She agreed to an orderly termination and severance package, agreed with the friendly NEDs, yet a 50m walk up the corridor she turned on her word.

Also take a look at the abuse of power where the ABC used it's power against the ABC budget cuts. It simply can't be trusted to maintain independence and it's staff are prepared to sell their integrity for a few dollars.

it has been widely discussed in the media but just take a look at BF with the opposing views. The left are supporters of the station and the right are not. .

This is what the right says but who is the largest audience of the ABC, the answer is the suburban Liberals and rural conservatives, neither group has much time for the political left.

Last edited:
I can confirm the director I served with did not know lifield

Can it be jobs for mates if you don’t know each other?

Out of interest, are Director General positions jobs for mates?

Do you even...

Their is a current board member, a lady, whose name escapes me, who gave evidence in Senate Estimates, that she also doesn't know Fifield, never met him, was approached by the then SA Opposition Leader and miraculously she got the gig.
Just to be clear, she gave evidence to Senate Estimates to this effect.

Make it look like it's not job for mates but in reality it is NO MORE than jobs for mates.
If you are suggesting that jobs for mates isn't a thing then you must not have many business connections.

This is what the right says but who is the largest audience of the ABC, the answer is the suburban Liberals and rural conservatives, neither group has much time for the political left.

I should emphasis the left right thing isn't the issue in itself. Rather the symptom of biased reporting.

What, like how the Herald Sun do have a single reference to any of the last weeks LNP scandals on their Twitter feed?

balanced reporting isn't looking at the market, considering Fox News and then coming up with something equally ridiculous.

The ABC is a stand alone entity that must maintain it's own professionalism and integrity.

Speaking of which...............how fn stupid is this.................

The ABC board meetings can only be called by the chairman. the chair was sacked and thus the board couldn't call a meeting.

lol

FTR only two directors were prepared to make the tough call and go against the constitution given the circumstances. I would have asked for the resignation of all but two directors at that board meeting. Where is the common sense?

balanced reporting isn't looking at the market, considering Fox News and then coming up with something equally ridiculous.

The ABC is a stand alone entity that must maintain it's own professionalism and integrity.

Speaking of which...............how fn stupid is this.................

The ABC board meetings can only be called by the chairman. the chair was sacked and thus the board couldn't call a meeting.

lol

FTR only two directors were prepared to make the tough call and go against the constitution given the circumstances. I would have asked for the resignation of all but two directors at that board meeting. Where is the common sense?

The ABC has a charter that it follows.
If you are going to bag the ABC for bias then stop making it up.

I have waited, bit my tounge at times... BUT....Patricia karvelas is not an objective journalist
Luv a strong woman, and she is, but it has a bias agenda bigger then a dick
She has her own after s**t show time slots now 2 ? bla bla fek urf

Sadly the ABC simply isn’t about news anymore, rather opinion and a narrative.

It’s time the board of the ABC rolls up their sleeves as currently they have no input or accountability for content.

Yet somehow Murdoch was responsible for the s**t newscorp pumps out but the ABC board is not only not responsible, they actually have no functions or control.

No wonder the output has no integrity
That is the game plan
Degrade
Stack the board
Politicize everything
Divide

I have waited, bit my tounge at times... BUT....Patricia karvelas is not an objective journalist
Luv a strong woman, and she is, but it has a bias agenda bigger then a dick
She has her own after s**t show time slots now 2 ? bla bla fek urf

So you have watched all her interviews and listened to all her podcasts?

Examples of her bias?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back