The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

This is an example of bias for those that are confused, makes good reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...-telegraph-heartland-signals-waning-influence

Sydney’s Daily Telegraph was not standing for election but it must be feeling defeat as surely as any deposed MP.

It campaigned vigorously for Malcolm Turnbull almost every day of a long campaign before the inevitable editorial endorsement. It also delighted in using its Photoshop skills to make the opposition leader, Bill Shorten, look incompetent and the prime minister presidential. Shorten was a liar, a reckless big spender and his campaign had “come completely off the rails”. “We know where the smart money is,” the Tele boasted as its front page on Friday declared Shorten was “Going down”.

But the Telegraph’s heartland of western Sydney wasn’t listening and it turned its back on Turnbull. The Coalition lost three seats in the area and did not make any gains, robbing Turnbull of what the paper had believed was almost certain victory.

On Monday, forced to report the loss of three western Sydney seats, Benson said the so-called Mediscare campaign, local western Sydney issues and the switch from Tony Abbott to Turnbull were to blame for the “shock loss”.

“We know where the smart money is,” the Tele boasted as its front page on Friday declared Shorten was “Going down”.
Aside from policy and sanity, there are two purely trivial reasons why I would also like Labor to win.
  1. To keep Eden-Monaro as the bellweather standard
  2. So that all the Liberals who gamed the betting odds for PR's sake don't get paid out

FFS, I've spent years listening to Coalition wingnuts complaining about the ABC being biased. Apparently now I have to put up with the Labor numpties bleating about it too?

Everyone needs to HTFU and realise that sometimes their beloved party needs their feet held to the fire.

FFS, I've spent years listening to Coalition wingnuts complaining about the ABC being biased. Apparently now I have to put up with the Labor numpties bleating about it too?

Everyone needs to HTFU and realise that sometimes their beloved party needs their feet held to the fire.
Yep, they should test both sides. Abbott wasn't challenged in 2013, but at least Labor's side of issues was presented in equal measure to the Liberals. Turnbull wasn't tested this election, nor was Labor's side presented. It is not acceptable.

On Monday, forced to report the loss of three western Sydney seats, Benson said the so-called Mediscare campaign, local western Sydney issues and the switch from Tony Abbott to Turnbull were to blame for the “shock loss”.

I'd see that as fairly spot on, people in western Sydney are having trouble buying homes, paying rent, they rely on medicare, which libs tired to bring in a co-pay and froze bulk billing, Western Sydney has largest number of bulk billing clinics and have even introduced docs that will come out and see you after hours and still bulk bill, such is the importance of medicare to western sydney. low income earners still make up a large portion of residence in these areas Meanwhile malcolm's giving thousands in tax breaks people earning 80K and hundreds of millions of dollars in tax cuts to banks, whilst those same banks keep increasing home loan rates despite the reserve bank keeping interests rates low. Funding for healthcare has taken a hit and this has been on billboards on every motorway heading east and plastered over the radio. Western Sydney again is fairly well represented in public health fields. add in the new fine system with centrelink and the dramatic shift in public school funding under turnbull and really the only "shock" in the "shock" loss is that people are calling it a "shock".

the liberals basically campaigned against the people of western sydney 90% of issues, then stupidly tried to campaign against boat people, when western sydney has the most diverse range of ethnic backgrounds in the country and is the number one location for new arrivals to settle in and yet halfwits will point to the rooty hill RSL as a focus group to show that the libs are focusing on western sydney. (a location used as the but of joke for anyone who lives within spitting distance of western sydney)

the most hilarious part of is the liberals in the city thinking that werriwa was a seat they could gain ground in, after the redistributions down shifted the economic demographics of the seat.

I'd see that as fairly spot on, people in western Sydney are having trouble buying homes, paying rent, they rely on medicare, which libs tired to bring in a co-pay and froze bulk billing, Western Sydney has largest number of bulk billing clinics and have even introduced docs that will come out and see you after hours and still bulk bill, such is the importance of medicare to western sydney. low income earners still make up a large portion of residence in these areas Meanwhile malcolm's giving thousands in tax breaks people earning 80K and hundreds of millions of dollars in tax cuts to banks, whilst those same banks keep increasing home loan rates despite the reserve bank keeping interests rates low. Funding for healthcare has taken a hit and this has been on billboards on every motorway heading east and plastered over the radio. Western Sydney again is fairly well represented in public health fields. add in the new fine system with centrelink and the dramatic shift in public school funding under turnbull and really the only "shock" in the "shock" loss is that people are calling it a "shock".

the liberals basically campaigned against the people of western sydney 90% of issues, then stupidly tried to campaign against boat people, when western sydney has the most diverse range of ethnic backgrounds in the country and is the number one location for new arrivals to settle in and yet halfwits will point to the rooty hill RSL as a focus group to show that the libs are focusing on western sydney. (a location used as the but of joke for anyone who lives within spitting distance of western sydney)

the most hilarious part of is the liberals in the city thinking that werriwa was a seat they could gain ground in, after the redistributions down shifted the economic demographics of the seat.
Re bulk billing, I have noticed several medical clinics are now charging children under 15 and concession card holders $20 gap.this is in the suburbs of Melbourne.
Previous they were just bulk billed.

Re bulk billing, I have noticed several medical clinics are now charging children under 15 and concession card holders $20 gap.this is in the suburbs of Melbourne.
Previous they were just bulk billed.

it's only the beginning, 10-15 years time at this rate and their will be no bulk billing left. yet the dumb arse boomer pensioners will keeping voting liberal whilst dying of phenomena they can't afford to get treated.

Yep, they should test both sides. Abbott wasn't challenged in 2013, but at least Labor's side of issues was presented in equal measure to the Liberals. Turnbull wasn't tested this election, nor was Labor's side presented. It is not acceptable.
You're delusional.

it's only the beginning, 10-15 years time at this rate and their will be no bulk billing left. yet the dumb arse boomer pensioners will keeping voting liberal whilst dying of phenomena they can't afford to get treated.

Where does the money come from - I'd suggest most boomers, regardless of political affiliation, aren't keen on leaving a credit card debt for their grandkids to pay off.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/federal-election-2016/federal-election-2016-ken-henry-damns-leadership-vacuum/news-story/5223811e83eb0a7ae45aeebc3eb5a35f

Not many people seem interested in doing the hard yards, they want/need someone else to do it. No one since Howard.

Where does the money come from - I'd suggest most boomers, regardless of political affiliation, aren't keen on leaving a credit card debt for their grandkids to pay off.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/federal-election-2016/federal-election-2016-ken-henry-damns-leadership-vacuum/news-story/5223811e83eb0a7ae45aeebc3eb5a35f

Not many people seem interested in doing the hard yards, they want/need someone else to do it. No one since Howard.

you shouldn't need to takeout a ******* credit card just to see a doc.
most boomers paid their way in tax their entire life, likewise our generation must pay through taxes, instead of being selfish pricks who couldn't give a * so long as they get regular tax breaks.

Australians used to pride themselves on generosity and matship, today people like you would prefer to see people die in a gutter rather than support universal medicine, because your sold a lie that one day you'll be rich.

i have more assets than half the liberal voters on this site yet i'm happy to pay a fair tax rate. your object to paying taxes yet drive on the roads expect the police and ambo's to collect you if you're the one lying in the gutter and yet like every other middle class *******, who gets pandered to with each election you cry like little bitches about how much tax you pay.

you want to start to able to afford appropriate cover from medicare, you start for one to reform the negative gearing which saw me pay zero tax between the ages 23-28 when i was more of a selfish prick and abused the system. you cancel a bunch of useless 90 billion dollar subs and planes which A don't even work and B are useless for large scale defence of our nation due to a lack of support aircraft and personal even when they eventually do. We need to man up to the reality that the only people with enough resources and manpower to mount a fight against australia laugh out our pathetic subs, planes and manpower, the security of our nation relies on strong economic ties to our regional partners not jingoistic attempts at militaristic masturbation.

you stop selling land to foreigners on the cheap and replace it with leases only. you stop giving hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks during a god damn downturn and you don't give out pointless $14.50 tax breaks as a PR stunt like your mate howard. you axe all parliamentary and government pensions permanently.

but all of that is useless if we don't close tax loopholes. you want the country to function without ending up as a rotting corpse, with a debt that will never be paid off, you have to pay proper tax levels. we are a resource heavy economy, we don't have the luxury of being a reserve currency or a massive population to fix our shortcomings.

the two most important investments this country should focus on is adequate funding for health and education everything else is secondary.

You're delusional.
Nup. If that were true someone by now would've said "but what about X, Y, Z?".

Call it elitism or a lack of understanding, but there's a perfectly good indication of the double-standards in the fact the Liberals can claim that Mediscare was an outrageous lie and it becomes the entire story of the campaign for 1-2 weeks. Meanwhile in the Liberal's public interviews, like quoted earlier from Morrison, they make outrageous claims about Labor every second sentence for which the journalist will make a limp effort of rebutting or just move the topic on, accepting that Liberals just behave that way.

This election, however, when listening to the normal radio news bulletins there wasn't even the usual attempt to balance the framing of issues. It was far more often than not the perspective of the government when I tuned in, and Labor 'defending' whatever the Govt line was. That's not the ABC's usual approach in an election. I have said it could've been coincidental that I missed the more balanced bulletins, but when I did get a chance to hear, 3-4 bulletins in a row, there was no attempt to balance it out.

I've also said there are a couple of reasons why this could occur without it being political bias (e.g. the desire to appear correct post-election, as the Coalition were saying they were going "swimmingly"), but it was not good enough by the ABC and a bad look for two new appointments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe nobody is engaging with you substantively because you're so one-eyed that it would be pointless.

It's hilarious that the same people who were decrying the Coalition their blathering nonsensically about ABC bias are now engaging in the same childish behaviour.

The number of people who treat politics like barracking for a footy team constantly amazes me. Grow up and take your medicine.

Maybe nobody is engaging with you substantively because you're so one-eyed that it would be pointless.

It's hilarious that the same people who were decrying the Coalition their blathering nonsensically about ABC bias are now engaging in the same childish behaviour.

The number of people who treat politics like barracking for a footy team constantly amazes me. Grow up and take your medicine.
"Grow up and take your medicine"? Using lines I have had in my signature for 2 years and just used in the Live election thread? What "medicine" would you even be talking about? You still haven't mentioned anything.

And 'nobody engaging'? Now who's "delusional"?

My point is that debating a topic substantively with someone who is only interested in propagating their own myopic point of view is little more than masochistic. Hence why I myself ignore most of your posts, although this latest string has provided me with so much mirth I thought it was worth throwing you a bone.

Can't see your signature, fortunately. I am assuming you're on the spectrum given the obsessive behaviour you're displaying.

My point is that debating a topic substantively with someone who is only interested in propagating their own myopic point of view is little more than masochistic. Hence why I myself ignore most of your posts, although this latest string has provided me with so much mirth I thought it was worth throwing you a bone.

Can't see your signature, fortunately. I am assuming you're on the spectrum given the obsessive behaviour you're displaying.
And you double-down on the delusion. Feel free to return to ignoring.

You guys are awesome. Don't you feel the slightest twinge of embarrassment over this?

New Matilda claiming anti-ALP bias is about as credible as the Tele claiming anti-Coalition bias.

You guys are awesome. Don't you feel the slightest twinge of embarrassment over this?

New Matilda claiming anti-ALP bias is about as credible as the Tele claiming anti-Coalition bias.

Its an article, obviously New Matilda has a left bias but I see you failed to refute any of the facts of article. Just shoot the messenger rather than the message.

It would be about as useful as debating with a Tele reader.

I'm not looking to convince you you're wrong. I'm just curious as to whether you experience any cognitive dissonance over this stuff.

Its an article, obviously New Matilda has a left bias but I see you failed to refute any of the facts of article. Just shoot the messenger rather than the message.
You won't find any message beyond shooting the messenger in any of Demosthenes's 6 posts on this page. There's no grit to him, but he still thinks he's making a pearl.

I also found that 4 Corners ep fascinating but a bit disappointing. There were some fun moments in the criss-cross edits, but it was largely what made me start thinking that the Turnbull love could be a direct result of people living in the same Sydney bubble. The references to Turnbull being the smartest man in the room (including "in a room full of Liberal Party heavyweights", with Howard seen on screen) followed by this quite extraordinary line: "Perhaps to counter the idea that he had sprung fully formed from the head of Zeus, the Turnbull's team produced a humble origins video...". It struck me as an admittance that behind the scenes there was a besotted nature to the Sydney perspective of Turnbull, but we haven't seen that as voters. The ending was very favourable to Turnbull too. After talking about off-shore detention and forcing Shorten to say New Zealand would be considered as a potential place for asylum seekers to go, they went into this conclusion, which is all framed from the Coalition view-point:
After the marathon campaign the finishing line is in sight. Bill Shorten is hoping his physical effort could translate into a win but the shock of the Brexit vote has again raised the question of instability.
Sarah Ferguson: Talking about the Australian people why would they want a sixth Prime Minister in six years?
Bill Shorten: Because they want better health care. Because they want better school funding. 'Cause they want to make sure that working parents in particular working mums can get a lift in the rebate. Becau-…
SF: Don't they, don't they also want stability? The, the- Malcolm Turnbull's been talking about it a lot. It seems like a potent argument that change there isn't enough desire for change again?
BS: So is the argument that Malcolm Turnbull's now running that well we've just had um you know give me longer to do whatever it is I'm going to do. That's not really a great argument to run the country is it.
SF: It's an argument about stability.
BS: Well what we want is policy stability. What we want is stability in our health care system. What we want is stability and certainty in our schools funding. Malcolm Turnbull's had three different economic plans in the last nine months. There's no stability in what he's offering.
Backstage at the liberal party campaign launch - as the party faithful gathered in the ballroom. Malcolm Turnbull spent a few moments with his family before giving his speech. The speech had been rewritten to reflect events in Britain.
Malcolm Turnbull: If it could be done smoothly according to the text book that would be better. It's the unpredictability of the political reactions that are going to need really strong leadership.
SF: Do you think this is the moment for a less ideologically driven leader?
MT: This is the time for a practical businesslike view of our circumstances. That is what I've done. I've laid that out and I've said right, this is where we are; these are our challenges; here are our opportunities; here are the measures that will en- enable us best to seize those opportunities and be resilient in the face of those challenges.
SF: But a less rash, less risk taking Malcolm Turnbull perhaps?
MT: Perhaps older and wiser, more measured and more considered but we need to have a plan and I do.

you shouldn't need to takeout a ******* credit card just to see a doc.
most boomers paid their way in tax their entire life...

but all of that is useless if we don't close tax loopholes. you want the country to function without ending up as a rotting corpse, with a debt that will never be paid off, you have to pay proper tax levels. we are a resource heavy economy, we don't have the luxury of being a reserve currency or a massive population to fix our shortcomings.

the two most important investments this country should focus on is adequate funding for health and education everything else is secondary.

& so say all of us, so why successive governments of all persuasions squibbed it ?

I sure cant tell you why !!

IF we want to spend more, we need to collect more.
It is so easy for companies trading overseas to relocate income, not so the humble taxpayer. Unfortunately its accepted orthodoxy that we need tax cuts, just as the middle class welfare isn't being clawed back - seems its fine to blame Howard/Costello, yet there is no appetite to acknowledge middle class welfare has no place 10+ years on & it has to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back