Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/super

"The Brumbies are floundering financially following the late withdrawal of their intended naming rights backer, Chinese company Huawei, from a four-year $4 million-plus sponsorship of the club.

The Australian Rugby Union, which recently announced an $8m loss this year, will almost certainly have to step in and save the franchise."

Doesn't look good.

Tassie19Cairns20

Team Captain
Dec 7, 2009
TAS
AFL Club
West Coast
From what I recall the ARU has bailed out some of its franchises before, so it isn't necessarily the end of the world or anything. The NZRU has helped the Highlanders out too. Things like this happen from time to time.

There's no way the Brumbies would go under, being that there's a contract in place for 5 Australian teams in the Super Rugby Competition.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
From what I recall the ARU has bailed out some of its franchises before, so it isn't necessarily the end of the world or anything. The NZRU has helped the Highlanders out too. Things like this happen from time to time.

There's no way the Brumbies would go under, being that there's a contract in place for 5 Australian teams in the Super Rugby Competition.

I agree with what you say, but it is more serious than before and IMO there will be some longterm ramification from this.

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Australia Cricket,League,Union team
The interesting thing about this is now both rugby football clubs from that area are without a major sponsor heading into the immediate future. There is rumour going around today that Huawei have been in talks with the Canberra Raiders.

Either way, both clubs struggling in that market is a concern for sport in the ACT.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
The interesting thing about this is now both rugby football clubs from that area are without a major sponsor heading into the immediate future. There is rumour going around today that Huawei have been in talks with the Canberra Raiders.

Either way, both clubs struggling in that market is a concern for sport in the ACT.

Realistically the ACT cannot support two elite clubs of similar nature especially in these economic times.

Tassie19Cairns20

Team Captain
Dec 7, 2009
TAS
AFL Club
West Coast
Realistically the ACT cannot support two elite clubs of similar nature especially in these economic times.

True, and that doesn't even factor in GWS playing 4 home games a year in the ACT for the next decade.

I think more so than any city, losing out on the World Cup hurt Canberra the most. The World Cup would given the city a new rectangular stadium, on par with the best stadia in the country. It definitely would have secured the long term future of the Raiders and Brumbies.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Possible way to get a team in Adelaide?

I don't think there's enough interest in rugby in Adelaide to sustain a team there . Before the rebels there was always talk of the Brumbies moving to Melbourne, but now that option's no longer available I guess they could potentially move to Western Sydney.

I think they'll probably stay in Canberra though. Their actual name changed from ACT Brumbies to Brumbies a while ago now in a conscious effort to extend the territory of the team to include southern NSW areas. Not sure how successful that's been.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I think the ARU will make sure they stick around in ACT for the medium term. Stabilising and helping the Reds has bore fruit and with an exceptional coach in Jake White I think the Brumbies young players (of which they have many) will prosper. For example, I think Lea'alifano and Toomua will thrive with no Giteau in the side. Then add to them Cam Crawford (will be a star IMO), Robbie Coleman and a few others and there is some capable ability there.

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
True, and that doesn't even factor in GWS playing 4 home games a year in the ACT for the next decade.

Being highly familiar with both the area and the sporting market in and around the ACT, this is not going to have as much as a effect as some people are predicting.

Some claims will have you think that there will be two new AFL clubs in the AFL next year, GWS & a ACT club.

In reality GWS' games in Canberra will act as nothing more then a clubs relocated matches. Smart work by the AFL though to not have all of GWS' games in Sydney and only one game in the "greater" west of Sydney.

I don't think there's enough interest in rugby in Adelaide to sustain a team there . Before the rebels there was always talk of the Brumbies moving to Melbourne, but now that option's no longer available I guess they could potentially move to Western Sydney.

There isn't a market in Western Sydney for a super rugby team. That fact hasn't stopped the AFL planting a team there but the AFL has enough funds and media pulling power to make it work, even if the only AFL headlines for now are the ones that contain certain person stilted predicting a hard future for other football codes in the area.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
There isn't a market in Western Sydney for a super rugby team.

I think they could make it work, but it'd be difficult and they'd have to include the north west of sydney in their territory, which is the only part of western sydney where rugby union is already strong. They'd also have to tap heavily into the expat polynesian community in western sydney so perhaps it would work best if it was some sort of australian and pacific island team (I mean with a reasonable number of players eligible for tonga/fiji/samoa and not just polynesian players trying to make the wallabies).

If Australia ever has another super rugby team I'm pretty sure it'd be in Western Sydney, based out of either Homebush or Parramatta.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
I think they could make it work, but it'd be difficult and they'd have to include the north west of sydney in their territory, which is the only part of western sydney where rugby union is already strong. They'd also have to tap heavily into the expat polynesian community in western sydney so perhaps it would work best if it was some sort of australian and pacific island team (I mean with a reasonable number of players eligible for tonga/fiji/samoa and not just polynesian players trying to make the wallabies).

If Australia ever has another super rugby team I'm pretty sure it'd be in Western Sydney, based out of either Homebush or Parramatta.

With the provincial/state based system of Super Rugby it would be better for any new team to go to South Australia.

It should be the responsibility of the Waratahs and the NSWRU to engage the Western Sydney community with the assistance of the ARU. Whilst the ARU focus should be on broadening its appeal in WA, SA & Vic in preparation for the next tv rights deal which is likely to see any increase come for the success of the expansion in WA and Vic.

If Australia was to have a club based national competition as well as the Super Rugby competition then additional clubs in NSW would be warranted.

The ARU should stick with its current Super Rugby teams whilst building towards a national club competition which would allow it to introduce additional teams into its heartland state whilst also including teams like Adelaide ect to help build support and interest in the non-heartland states.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
IMO nothing is going to change in the shorterm.
Thank the Rebels for that. Not enough demand in Adelaide or WS for relocation ATM under the current financial situation and the pokie tax.
And really, RU needs Canberra.

storm fan

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2011
StormHQ
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
With the provincial/state based system of Super Rugby it would be better for any new team to go to South Australia.

It should be the responsibility of the Waratahs and the NSWRU to engage the Western Sydney community with the assistance of the ARU. Whilst the ARU focus should be on broadening its appeal in WA, SA & Vic in preparation for the next tv rights deal which is likely to see any increase come for the success of the expansion in WA and Vic.

If Australia was to have a club based national competition as well as the Super Rugby competition then additional clubs in NSW would be warranted.

Agree with all of this.

IMO nothing is going to change in the shorterm.
Thank the Rebels for that. Not enough demand in Adelaide or WS for relocation ATM under the current financial situation and the pokie tax.
And really, RU needs Canberra.

The other problem is also talent wise. It seemed that a few Australian Super Rugby Clubs have struggled against their overseas opposition due to a lack of talent. Any more further expansion could leave the Australian super rugby clubs vulnerable to what has happened in the AFL this year.

Mint Condition

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The thinning of the talent base can be overcome by increasing the number of foreign players teams are allowed to recruit. With the current exception of the rebels, it's currently 2 per team (and really only 1 as the 2nd is for a young, uncapped player who can gain eligibility for the wallabies through residency). If there is further expansion I think it'd be good if teams were allowed to recruit say 5-7 imports, with an emphasis on Pacific Islanders and Argentinians.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
The thinning of the talent base can be overcome by increasing the number of foreign players teams are allowed to recruit. With the current exception of the rebels, it's currently 2 per team (and really only 1 as the 2nd is for a young, uncapped player who can gain eligibility for the wallabies through residency). If there is further expansion I think it'd be good if teams were allowed to recruit say 5-7 imports, with an emphasis on Pacific Islanders and Argentinians.

Agreed. This is certainly one area where the rugby codes hold a distinct advantage when it comes to expansion.

Back