The future of the Pre-Grand Final Bye

Remove this Banner Ad

good idea to have the players get over niggles to provide the best conteste
but as stated earlier, there are plenty of footbal options to fill the gap

Like the Rugby World Cup there should be a play off for 3rd.

We could have Port v Geelong playing off for 3rd this weekend.

Thinking outside the square, maybe we can have our own version. Last plays second last with the lower getting the #1 draft pick. Imagine how laughable the game would be.

Entertainment Gold I tell ya!!!

No problem if you have other footy on. Could schedule all the other footy Grand Finals around the country for this weekend. ....build the atmosphere. Would be great to televise and highlight the lower profile comps....

Is a pre finals by even necessary? Less said about pre Grand Final bye the better. Credit to the Bulldogs for making it through and doing it so convincingly, but the reality is that the Dees have now had a week off on either side of the prelim. They’re doing full scale match simulations to try and stay as active as possible. How is that a fair reward for finishing first?

GET RID OF BYES ALTOGETHER !!!!

No byes at all at any time ..... they are for softcocks only.

No mid-season byes

No pre-finals byes

No pre-GF byes

fu** them off and fu** off the clown who came up with the idea too.
Little sissys with their damaged soft tissues and long term health, GTFO

Is a pre finals by even necessary? Less said about pre Grand Final bye the better. Credit to the Bulldogs for making it through and doing it so convincingly, but the reality is that the Dees have now had a week off on either side of the prelim. They’re doing full scale match simulations to try and stay as active as possible. How is that a fair reward for finishing first?

Agreed!!! Demons are being disadvantaged for being the best team through to the GF.

And why is that so? See below. Madness!!

This bye has nothing to do with footy or the players.
It is about getting all the hob knobs, sponsors, politicians etc through quarantine and into the stadium.

Great bye. Footy fans who watched the two SANFL finals yesterday were lucky - (SANFL and VFL footy in the 70s 80s 90s was better to watch than most 'new rules/style' footy today). The AFL should be promoting/showing the WAFL SANFL VFL finals rather than saying - oh, it's a bye, oh, no footy - rubbish

like Coitus interuptus, we're given too much time and will come to the realization that ya'all involved are just bumping ugly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great bye. Footy fans who watched the two SANFL finals yesterday were lucky - (SANFL and VFL footy in the 70s 80s 90s was better to watch than most 'new rules/style' footy today). The AFL should be promoting/showing the WAFL SANFL VFL finals rather than saying - oh, it's a bye, oh, no footy - rubbish

Excellent point. The AFL's myopic attitude however won't allow them to extend to other states comps.

Don't know we don't just make the last round a split round every club gets a week off before finals ,all games get a prime time tv slot no free kicks to nrl by having a footy free weekend simple.

Hate the pre finals bye, this is a better option in a s**t situation.

The momentum is lost a bit as much because the GF is in Perth and Melbourne and Sydney are in lockdown so there is absolutely nothing to do.

But in future seasons, it's a clear weekend for all local footy grand finals which are usually on this weekend with no clashes with the PF. Gives the grand final teams a rest for any niggles and as another poster pointed out that I also thought of watching the PF last weekend, it removes any concussion issues.

Imagine a gun player gets a cheap shot and has to miss the GF because of concussion protocols? Would be ridiculous.

It would be interesting to see if they did it again if they went for the parade or other activities this weekend instead of the Friday?

I like the bye because players concussed in the Prelim can still be available for selection. It would be a true hard luck story for a player fully recovered from a minor concussion to miss the GF on protocol. And the protocol is appropriate.

I’d like to see an Under 18s carnival televised over the bye weekend because for 16 clubs the draft is the next exciting event on the horizon and most of us don’t really follow the potential draftees until 5 minutes before the draft.

I know Melbourne fans not been first very often but it is exactly the reward you got if you finished first in the final five and a lot of teams won the premiership this way. I think I seen my team win three grand finals by having a week off before and after the final we won to advance to the grand final. Never did us any harm.

In recent history, teams that have only two games of footy in a month (like Melbourne) haven't done that well.

If Melbourne lose on Saturday, they'll have a good case against the bye.

The bye was a free kick for the NRL last weekend, with two prime time finals on, and no AFL alternatives.

Scrap the bye, it unreasonably disadvantages teams that have done well in the normal season..

I don't like any finals bye at all, pre or during. Most coaches and players seem against it as well, from what I have seen? (Although that might just be bias and seeing what I want.) I can guarantee Melb would have wanted to go straight into a Grand Final after that Geelong win.

Even Beveridge said recently he doesn't like it, and the Bulldogs are the team that have probably been advantaged most by it.

In recent history, teams that have only two games of footy in a month (like Melbourne) haven't done that well.

If Melbourne lose on Saturday, they'll have a good case against the bye.

The bye was a free kick for the NRL last weekend, with two prime time finals on, and no AFL alternatives.

Scrap the bye, it unreasonably disadvantages teams that have done well in the normal season..
When the pre-finals bye started this was brought up. At that point, IMO there weren't enough data points. I actually supported the move, given the nature of the problem the pre-finals bye was supposed to solve. I think there are now.
If we need to byes, best to make it two split rounds - over two weeks, rather than three. It does seem one week off is better than two, which is better than zero.

One just before the halfway point of the season and one a couple of weeks before finals. Maybe split round 20 or something. We all know the reason for the pre-finals bye was because a couple of teams certain of their position picked half-arsed sides for the final round. But the impact seems to be on the best performing teams, the ones who should not be systemically disadvantaged at finals time.

22 rounds over 24 weeks. Oh, and sides coming off a bye should play against sides coming off a bye. (Slightly less important, sides going into a bye should play sides going into a bye.)

GET RID OF BYES ALTOGETHER !!!!

No byes at all at any time ..... they are for softcocks only.

No mid-season byes

No pre-finals byes

No pre-GF byes

fu** them off and fu** off the clown who came up with the idea too.

a truly spendiferous statement if I’ve ever heard one 👌

Remove this Banner Ad

Back