Strategy The future...

Remove this Banner Ad

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok, so the melt continues a little more and this has been done before but.. After the weekends capitulation I wondered how we were starting to shape up over the next 5 years and came up with the below best 22 over the coming half decade who will (hopefully) play the majority games so you'll notice a few big names left out who are nearing the end of their career currently so will sadly not be involved. Obviously this will leave some holes but it also tends to paint a clearer picture of our draft strategy. There are also some untried players listed here i.e. Collins but I feel that these players were drafted for a reason so should at least get a look in on my mock B22. I have even included a couple from the rumor mill such as Hooker and McCarthy.

Current age in brackets.

B Sutcliffe (23) Collins (21) Ibbotson (28)
HB Tucker (19) Hooker (28) A.Pearce (20)
C Sheridan (22) Fyfe (24) Hill (25)
HF Weller (20) Taberner (22) Blakely (20)
FF Ballantyne (28) McCarthy (20) Walters (25)

R Clarke (26) Neale (22) Bennell (23)

Int Morabito (24) Langdon (20) Spurr (28) Suban (25)

Question marks
- Hughes
- Barlow
- Smith
- Crozier
- Apeness
- Balic
- Grey
- Yarran
- de Boer
- Mayne
- Hannath
- Deluca
- Ubergang
- Nyhuis
- C.Pearce
- Yarran
-

First round and/or elite players

Looking at that I believe we are fairly well placed over the next 5 or so years keeping in mind that we will obviously continue to top up with draft picks and may even possibly snag a FA or two. One big hole I see is a second (assuming we get McCarthy) key forward. Currently it depends on Taberner possibly coming good and Apeness actually getting on the park which doesn't fill me with great confidence - I purposely left Hogan out but of course, he would be a great addition. Our small forwards are solid and have the ability to roll through he midfield which will boast some pretty big names at bounce down. Even the back line looks reliable, from what I have seen and heard on Collins I feel he is a slight upgrade on Silvagni (that's just an opinion). We know what A.Pearce can do plus if the rumors are true and we do lock down Hooker it almost fills the massive void left by McPharlin. Another big hole is our ruck division - I have assumed Clarke signs on but theres every chance he won't leaving us severely depleted as all that's left before drafting/FA/trading is Hannath *gulp*. The question marks are guys who have some really big years coming up, they're either going to make it or not because outside of the veterans I feel they'll be ones on the block come delisting time.

Speaking of veterans, it's sad to write a future best 22 leaving out names like Pavlich, Mundy, Sandilands, Dawson, Griffin and even D.Pearce.

Annnyway, I feel a bit better now.

Remove Balla, Mayne, Spurr their time is sooner rather than later.

And Barlow - really you should not have anyone who is currently 27+ so that includes Hooker. Got to also concede that Morabito wont be around in 5 years.

I would go younger and add Hughes, Uber and Grey to your team as realistic top 22. Yeah the sky is not falling but you have to be clever if you rarely get top draft picks.

As Ross says, we are about the now. Don't go worrying about the future...

Wonder if Ross would've changed their draft strategy if he new he was at till 2020, sometimes you have to go back to go forward.

And Barlow - really you should not have anyone who is currently 27+ so that includes Hooker. Got to also concede that Morabito wont be around in 5 years.

I would go younger and add Hughes, Uber and Grey to your team as realistic top 22. Yeah the sky is not falling but you have to be clever if you rarely get top draft picks.

If We're throwing a 4-5 year deal at Hooker I expect him to honour it to the fullest! Plus he's had a year off.

My reasoning was that if a player can play a majority of the games over the next five years than they're in with a chance. At 28, some could play until 31 which is 3 out of next 5 years. Similar to Pav, Mundy and Sandi now.

At season's end

Pavlich (retired)
Sandilands (up to him but probably retired)
Johnson (depends on injuries but 50/50 to retire)
De Boer (delisted)
Silvagni (delisted)
Hannath (delisted)
C.Pearce (delisted)
Mzungu (delisted)
Smith (delisted)
Deluca (delisted)

Grey could also be in trouble. I'd leave Mayne and Clarke uncomtracted and free to sign with another club. If they do then take the compensation pick and run. Morabito and Hurley are also interesting cases. If Morabito gets through the whole year without knee issues (forget other injuries, they were always going to happen) I'd give him every chance. Hurley if he shows any improvement should stay on as a category B rookie.

Others out of contract:
Mayne - one year deal if no one offers him anything
Clarke - as above
Spurr - has a 2 year deal apparently
D.Pearce - as above
Apeness - needs every chance. Give him another year
Barlow - offer for trade, no bites one year deal
Neale - 3 year deal
Langdon - 2 year deal

That's a lot of changes I've got to say but anywhere but a top four finish (which doesn't look likely) and that'd be close to the minimum. I reckon we want a mix of players traded in and draft picks to take us forward. Probably looking at around five picks in the draft.

As Ross says, we are about the now. Don't go worrying about the future...
Errrr are you joking? This is the reason we are in the situation we are – constant fear of the negative outcomes of change, and being happy with a mediocre status quo. Ross Lyon has for far too long persisted with this mentality and it's flawed – his history shows it.

Football is also unlike Premier League soccer. The future is important. Every club can win a flag in the AFL, unlike the EPL, and no club can just buy million dollar players who are proven, ad nauseam. It is a great quirk of the sport and league. You need to worry about the future – even Hawthorn do.

Is it almost ****ed up that I'm almost happier for a rebuild than to see us go through this season under the illusion of potential success?

Then I remember who the club has locked in as coach and shudder at the idea of him being in charge of youth, and him trying to teach young guys a gameplan that was even passé in 2014...

Is it almost stuffed up that I'm almost happier for a rebuild than to see us go through this season under the illusion of potential success?

Then I remember who the club has locked in as coach and shudder at the idea of him being in charge of youth, and him trying to teach young guys a gameplan that was even passé in 2014...

Nope. I am of the same opinion. After watching Dogs, Eagles, Hawks, Cats et al I have realised we are nowhere near them and it's not about packing it all in and giving up, it's about facing reality. Team hasn't changed in 3 years.

Think u all need to chill at the moment. Check eagles board after u guys flogged us in the first derby. Was certainly panic stations.

Seasons are long. Perhaps rtb is more concerned about having ur best22 available at the tail end of the season for once.
People have actually had a conspiracy 'Ross the Boss' has been doing that for the last two seasons :drunk:

Is it almost stuffed up that I'm almost happier for a rebuild than to see us go through this season under the illusion of potential success?

I agree.

We will be struggling to make to the 8 after what I witnessed on Sunday.Mini-rebuild is required!

Hopefully we can get close to a year's worth of development into the likes of Weller,Langdon,Blakely,APearce,Mora etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. I am of the same opinion. After watching Dogs, Eagles, Hawks, Cats et al I have realised we are nowhere near them and it's not about packing it all in and giving up, it's about facing reality. Team hasn't changed in 3 years.
Four years. It has barely changed in four years.

In round one, there were more Freo players from the 2012 semi final than Sydney had from their premiership victory or Hawthorn had in their grand final loss of that year.

Ross Lyon is a broken record - it's time to frisbee that record out of the window.

Last edited:
This first month of the season determines where we go. I have us at 1-3 with a win this weekend. That's enough to seriously consider a different path amongst the Freo hierarchy, I am sure it's not just Ross having a say in which direction the club goes either.

In round one, there were more Freo players from the 2012 semi final than Sydney had from their premiership victory or Hawthorn had in their grand final loss of that year.

Ross Lyon is a broken record - it's time to frisbee that record out of the window.

You know this can't happen, he's signed to 2020. He will be given the licence to persist for the first 6 weeks or so and then probably start looking longer term if things go badly. It will actually be a huge test for Lyon to see how he goes rebuilding a list and also moving to a more attacking gameplan. Most people would agree he is a good communicator and man manager, but will be interesting to see if he can change his ways re playing youth and being more offensive.

I guess we are locked in to finding out.

You know this can't happen, he's signed to 2020. He will be given the licence to persist for the first 6 weeks or so and then probably start looking longer term if things go badly. It will actually be a huge test for Lyon to see how he goes rebuilding a list and also moving to a more attacking gameplan. Most people would agree he is a good communicator and man manager, but will be interesting to see if he can change his ways re playing youth and being more offensive.

I guess we are locked in to finding out.
Well aware of the contract situation. We are at the same crossroads as we were in 2008. The difference is that then we had a rookie coach, and the hierarchy could direct him to play youth and develop players as part of an agreement to maintain his employment. Will Lyon be as receptive to such an agreement? My belief is that a tension will start to develop and it will break in late 2017 or early 2018. That's a hefty payout we will be on the hook for.

Well aware of the contract situation. We are at the same crossroads as we were in 2008. The difference is that then we had a rookie coach, and the hierarchy could direct him to play youth and develop players as part of an agreement to maintain his employment. Will Lyon be as receptive to such an agreement? My belief is that a tension will start to develop and it will break in late 2017 or early 2018. That's a hefty payout we will be on the hook for.
When he was re-signed it was made pretty clear that there would be a rebuild during the remaining 5 years of his contract. It might just be a year earlier.....might. There were issues at St Kilda when his influence was curtailed in the drafting process, but we'll see how it pans out with us. From the outside, it seems like a tail wagging the dog with regards to the board, but we'll never really know. It was always a strange move to extend his contract so long, as now he has too much security.

Is only round one though.

I'm actually mentally preparing for the possibility that GC will copy the Dogs and Richmond template and blow us away this week.
Its not that hard to do, just kamikaze play on at every opportunity and when we have the ball setup a zone and watch us chip it sideways and backwards till we turn it over and then go like mad down the middle.
Rinse and repeat. Dogs showed how useless we are once we get a few goals down, every team will do it.

Speaking of veterans, it's sad to write a future best 22 leaving out names like Pavlich, Mundy, Sandilands, Dawson, Griffin and even D.Pearce.
DC00795lg.jpg

Does not compute.

wide-eyes1.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back