Strategy The future...

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless we want to follow Richmond down the path of how not to build a football team I would suggest a little caution would not go astray .
We need to go to the draft the same way as Drum and Harvey did TBH .Giving away draft picks is not the way to build for the long term .
The next draft is said to have some special players coming through so I would wait a bit to see .We will get a top 10 draft spot with the way the season is playing out so lets not trade away until we see what's available .
Brown has said a $15 million deal over 10 years should be offered to Hogan and start the team build around him as he rates him as a once in 20 year type player .

Hi All, First time poster, but have always read everyone's comments about the Dockers. At the moment its fair to say there is a lot of deadwood in the squad for which now Ross has a real chance to review his playing list. Its obvious to say that the season is over and now it is a time give everyone on the list a chance to put forward viability to the list. This was always going to happen at some point and I guess came around sooner than what everyone had thought.
Ross is in now in a position to have his squad from scratch as he tries to build up. I would say 3 years it may take him before we can consider finals. There has been improvement from Round 1 until now. Effort is ok but it is execution of our skills that is the big down fall. No secret there. We need early draft picks and make sure that they stay at the club, we have been unlucky with Pitt, Simpson and Morabito. Looking to Next year it is suppose to be a bumper 2017 draft a golden draft. That is something I hope the club also looks at for long term success of the club. I hope we don't trade early draft picks for players who we don't really know how there future careers pan out. We dodged a bullet with GWS and McCarthy, that would of a huge mistake given the situation the club is in at the moment. Club needs KPP's forward and back with a Ruckman for the future which next year draft may provide. I say this as I still don't think we can mount a challenge for the flag next year. Just my thought and excited to see what Ross can do over the next few years.

If we trade Neale away for picks just to pull us out of a s**t draft position, I will hand in my membership.

I'll admit I've said before that I'm not opposed to trading him for Hogan, but honestly I'm even iffy about that. Lachie is a gun, and growing to be a great leader. You don't just give players like that away.

If we trade Neale away for picks just to pull us out of a s**t draft position, I will hand in my membership.

I'll admit I've said before that I'm not opposed to trading him for Hogan, but honestly I'm even iffy about that. Lachie is a gun, and growing to be a great leader. You don't just give players like that away.

Won't happen, we will only trade Neale if he wants to leave.

Hi All, First time poster, but have always read everyone's comments about the Dockers. At the moment its fair to say there is a lot of deadwood in the squad for which now Ross has a real chance to review his playing list. Its obvious to say that the season is over and now it is a time give everyone on the list a chance to put forward viability to the list. This was always going to happen at some point and I guess came around sooner than what everyone had thought.
Ross is in now in a position to have his squad from scratch as he tries to build up. I would say 3 years it may take him before we can consider finals. There has been improvement from Round 1 until now. Effort is ok but it is execution of our skills that is the big down fall. No secret there. We need early draft picks and make sure that they stay at the club, we have been unlucky with Pitt, Simpson and Morabito. Looking to Next year it is suppose to be a bumper 2017 draft a golden draft. That is something I hope the club also looks at for long term success of the club. I hope we don't trade early draft picks for players who we don't really know how there future careers pan out. We dodged a bullet with GWS and McCarthy, that would of a huge mistake given the situation the club is in at the moment. Club needs KPP's forward and back with a Ruckman for the future which next year draft may provide. I say this as I still don't think we can mount a challenge for the flag next year. Just my thought and excited to see what Ross can do over the next few years.

Good first post and welcome aboard .

I agree with you and would go further .Fyfe ,Mundy , Neale ,Alex Pearce ,Walters ,Hill , Bennell , Blakley , Hughes ,Langdon ,Taberner Tucker ,Sheridan ,Weller ,Sutcliffe , Ibbotson , Ballantyne and Spurr are all players to keep .
Uebergang , Nyhuis ,Yarran , Collins ,Apeness , Balic and Grey are yet to convince me that they are AFL quality so we must get games into them to have a better understanding of their quality .
Hurley once he is over his injury should be played in the league team asap .He has everything the new game plan demands
Sandi , D Pearce 2018, Dawson and Suban are contracted till next year and they still offer better value than the kids .
Clarke if he can sort out the knees is a keep for me
Pavlich ,Johnson ,Hannath ,Crozier ,Morabito , Mzungu , Smith , Silvagni , Deluca are the players that are either going to retire or be cut from the list. Crozier maybe as trade bait to get a deal done .
De Boer Griffin and Barlow must be retained on the list for team structure and back up for injuries even if that is only for 1 year .
RTB ,Bond , David Walls and Lloyd already know that we are in rebuild and our recruiting team will be under serious pressure to find replacements.

To be honest if Neale got us Jesse Hogan, I'd pack his bags for him.

In 20 years we've had many midfielders of his caliber, and only one forward who is similar, and I see Jesse having greater heights than Pav.

Is Hogan that good?

$1.5m over 10 years is ridiculous and so much risk.

I'd love to see Matera in purple, he can clearly play but there seems to be something missing. Application maybe?

Anyone know David Swallows contract situation?

Matera is lazy and doesn't have a high intelligence.

The guy was born with great genes and he can compete for sure. He supported the bombers growing up, so he wouldn't be against a move to Freo either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uebergang , Nyhuis ,Yarran , Collins ,Apeness , Balic and Grey are yet to convince me that they are AFL quality so we must get games into them to have a better understanding of their quality .
Hurley once he is over his injury should be played in the league team asap .He has everything the new game plan demands
Sandi , D Pearce 2018, Dawson and Suban are contracted till next year and they still offer better value than the kids .
Pavlich ,Johnson ,Hannath ,Crozier ,Morabito , Mzungu , Smith , Silvagni , Deluca are the players that are either going to retire or be cut from the list. Crozier maybe as trade bait to get a deal done .
De Boer Griffin and Barlow must be retained on the list for team structure and back up for injuries even if that is only for 1 year .
RTB ,Bond , David Walls and Lloyd already know that we are in rebuild and our recruiting team will be under serious pressure to find replacements.

???Elite disposal skills?

I'm enjoying this season much more than I thought i would. Hughes, AP, Langdon, Grey, Tabs, Weller, Blakeley, Tucker, Croz have all showed plenty in a team that's losing. Get another dozen games into those guys learning how to cope at AFL level then a long preseason and we are back next year. Thats the advantage of the Lyon plan, newbies can learn their trade by being cogs in the machine.

Good first post and welcome aboard .

I agree with you and would go further .Fyfe ,Mundy , Neale ,Alex Pearce ,Walters ,Hill , Bennell , Blakley , Hughes ,Langdon ,Taberner Tucker ,Sheridan ,Weller ,Sutcliffe , Ibbotson , Ballantyne and Spurr are all players to keep .

Collins,Apeness ,Balic etc need more games to see if they have the quality to make it but Hurley who is not from an AFL background and has only played a handfull of reserves and a few league games for Peel has shown he has everything needed to make it and should play seniors asap. Really.:rolleyes:

Collins,Apeness ,Balic etc need more games to see if they have the quality to make it but Hurley who is not from an AFL background and has only played a handfull of reserves and a few league games for Peel has shown he has everything needed to make it and should play seniors asap. Really.:rolleyes:
Tanner Smith is much better than Hurley now.

come on guys. if we are starting next years preseason with hogan and macarthy and not neale and 1.5 million a year poorer our squad would be in better shape than it is now.

Not necessarily, our mids are getting old. Id keep Neale, he could be another Mitchell (without being a w^nker).

Should our trading/FA age limit be capped at 25 years and under?

I sort of can't see the point of us trading for players who are already around 27/28 years old now.By the time we become a contender again those players best days will behind them.

Should our trading/FA age limit be capped at 25 years and under?

I sort of can't see the point of us trading for players who are already around 27/28 years old now.By the time we become a contender again those players best days will behind them.

It's a tough one because our core mids are currently 25 and under ie Fyfe, Bennell, Hill plus the next lot of up and comers. Do we compliment them with experienced 27-29 year olds or do we bring in more youth?

Not necessarily, our mids are getting old. Id keep Neale, he could be another Mitchell (without being a w^nker).
I like Neale and hes already very good. I think we have enough stock in the middle to cover him though. What we dont have is a fwd line that functions. with that you either believe apeness and tabs are enough or yoou dont i guess. i mean im happy to keep neale i just think it would be a dynamic trade which services our primary need

Remove this Banner Ad

Back