Strategy The future...

Remove this Banner Ad

Hogan for me is basically trade anyone who isn't a required player and our 2 first round picks.

My non negotiable players are (besides the 26+ bracket which wouldn't get the deal done anyway)
Fyfe
Walters
Hill
Neale
Weller
A.Pearce

Everyone else I'd consider a possible trade for Hogan. I don't know Melbourne's list too well so I don't know if they have any specific needs but I'd assume even if Apeness bursts onto the scene with 20 goals in the last 10 games of the season we'd see if he'd want to go back home as a Hogan cheap rip-off replacement. Remember the Judd trade? That's essentially what Freo will need to bring to the table. Carlton gave up #3, #20 and Josh Kennedy who was pick #4 forward just about to hit his straps. We would need to give #1 (or wherever we finish) our next best pick and a player that basically isn't those 6. Hogan will be a better forward then Pav because these days our midfield is amazing and he'd never need to go in there. Think what Pav would've achieved had he been a pure forward from day 1 with a top 4 tier midfield delivering to him with a Mcarthy type player as his foil with Walters and Ballas at his feet. That's what Hogan will be and more. Add Mcarthy as a second forward then we have a potent forward line. Remember 2006 that run of games where Pav and Longmuir had a good run with Farmer and Medhurst at their feet? That's what we'd get again but with a better structure and delivery and game plan.

Bennell Mcarthy Walters
Ballas Hogan Yarran/Mayne/Crozier

Another player not mentioned much here is Brad Hill. He loves his big brother, already done the premiership thing and would be a great addition for our new skills based game plan and a possible D.Pearce replacement in the years to come I'm not sure what he's worth but I reckon we should at least look into seeing if that could happen.

It's a tough one because our core mids are currently 25 and under ie Fyfe, Bennell, Hill plus the next lot of up and comers. Do we compliment them with experienced 27-29 year olds or do we bring in more youth?
Dunno. Isn't that what D.Pearce, Barlow (still unsigned) and Mundy are for? They can be our leaders for the next few years along with Fyfe, Hill and Neale. We can try the youngsters, throw a few others in there (looking at Sheridan, Sutcliffe etc) to see if that works. See what we need in 2018 and if we need more throw money at one or two of the free agents. We need to rebuild our spine. A.Pearce is a start, McCarthy should be ours and maybe just maybe we may see something out of Apeness, Smith, Taberner, Collins and Uebergang. I think this group should be given every opportunity by staying on the list for at least this season and next bug the group certainly doesn't make you feel confident and a few additions on top of McCarthy won't go astray.

Hill to me hasn't really come on like I thought he would of by now for a number 3 draft pick. Not really a 100% sure where he is at. Has all the right attributes ie pace and skill, but too inconsistent. Don't like him off the HBB, as he gets turned inside out too easily applying no pressure.
Apeness comeback on the weekend was surprising for Peel Ressies. For someone coming off a knee reco and to played in the ruck with 34 hit outs, I wouldn't of thought he played in the ruck.
Give everyone on the list a change to present their case. The club hasn't blooded many of the youngsters over the past few years as we were contending, now Ross can review deeply and run a fine comb over everything.
I am afraid we will have to give up too much for Hogan and McCarthy as past trades have shown we need to be weary and as proven the expectation of recruiting hasn't lived up to the hype. Although both would be great additions to the team!

Should our trading/FA age limit be capped at 25 years and under?

I sort of can't see the point of us trading for players who are already around 27/28 years old now.By the time we become a contender again those players best days will behind them.
Depends how you see it. We were bottom 4 in 2009 to grand finalist in 2013. Do we get a couple of 27 year olds then make the gf 5 years later with them being 32 years old? Freo played a few 30 year olds in the 2013 grand final just saying...

Another player not mentioned much here is Brad Hill. He loves his big brother, already done the premiership thing and would be a great addition for our new skills based game plan and a possible D.Pearce replacement in the years to come I'm not sure what he's worth but I reckon we should at least look into seeing if that could happen.
Hawks would demand too much for brad hill. Rightfully so after 3 flags. Once free agency drops to 6 years. Get him

There are obviously exceptions, but I reckon it takes about 6 years to develop a player properly to the point they become a regular contributor. I wouldn't like to see FA eligibility drop to 6 years. But then, I'm not a fan of it as it stands now.

Imagine getting Hogan as a free agent as a 24 year old after he does 6 years with the demons

In a perfect world it would be great.
I'm thinking if we are considering going after Hogan,it'll be this year as we've unexpectedly found ourselves in a position with considerable leverage,providing we finish bottom four.

I found the below interesting. Not one player aged 30. Solid core midfield group.. if not for a couple of up and coming key defenders and forwards this could eerily represent Freo 2017....

Collingwood’s 2010 premiership side (and their ages at the start of Round 1):

B: Nick Maxwell (26), Nathan Brown (21), Alan Toovey (23)

HB: Harry O’Brien (23), Ben Reid (20), Heath Shaw (24)

C: Sharrod Wellingham (21), Dane Swan (26), Ben Johnson (28)

HF: Alan Didak (27), Travis Cloke (23), Luke Ball (25)

F: Dayne Beams (20), Chris Dawes (21), Steele Sidebottom (19)

Foll: Darren Jolly (28), Scott Pendlebury (22), Dale Thomas (22)

Int: Jarryd Blair (19), Brent Macaffer (22), Tyson Goldsack* (22), Leigh Brown (28)

Remember the Judd trade? That's essentially what Freo will need to bring to the table. Carlton gave up #3, #20 and Josh Kennedy who was pick #4 forward just about to hit his straps. We would need to give #1 (or wherever we finish) our next best pick and a player that basically isn't those 6.
I don't think we need to go this crazy. Judd had won a premiership, had a Norm Smith, and a Brownlow and was regarded unanimously as the best player (across all positions) in the league at the time of trade. Hogan's got great potential but it's just potential at the moment. He's had a good debut season but there is no guarantee he will reach the heights the media is speculating (and we hope for if we were to recruit him). The media have pumped him up and the public has bought in but the reality is he is still a pretty big gamble. I think two first rounders or an equivalent of player trades is a suitable value and should get it done personally.

I don't think that we should be changing the "best available" for our first live pick. But we do need to avoid this policy for all picks. As others have pointed out we have missed lots of very serviceable KPP's available at our second pick.
So what do we need to do this year. Firstly we need to trade in more first round picks. The clause says to first round picks in 4 years. We traded out a round 1 pick last year so we have three years to meet this. But we don't need to be panicked about it. You can draft 2 round 1 players in a year and be compliant. This will mean a loss of some quality players. We can't afford to be miserable about this.
IMHO we can't afford to pay a round 1 pick for Cam McCarthy. We need to make sure that we trade for him with something else. If that means that we trade a Mayne or a couple of picks for a Neale (one to use for McCarthy) then we do that.
We need to be ruthless with our drafting. If GWS refuse to play ball we need to be prepared to call their bluff and nominate their number 1 academy player. Force them to pay in full for that player. Then nominate their second player or GC, Sydney or a Father/Son option. Force the clubs with concessions to pay big for their players. Whilst we will not get some talent you push their 2nd and 3rd picks right back in the draft order and then your later picks are of more value.

I guess I have different thoughts about who we need to retain and who we can afford to trade. Whilst it would be nice to keep the cream and loose the cake the reality is that most people buy cake for the cream. In my analogy we will be loosing someone who we don't really want to go. I would avoid a no youth trade policy in favor of a youth cost more policy. But those with currency would be people who might tip another club into contention. A Balla to Hawthorne type senario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you name 30 inside mids that you would take over Neale?

I agree with you re Hogan though.

1. Fyfe
2. Dangerfield
3. Joel Selwood
4. Pendlebury
5. Sloane
6. Bontempelli
7. Cotchin
8. Parker
9. Heeney
10.Kennedy (Sydney)
11. Hill (Fremantle)
12. Shiels
13. Ward
14. Cunnington
15. Liberatore
16. Varcoe
17. McCrae
18. Duncan
19. Boak
20. Wines
21. Hannebery
22. Ziebell
23. Viney
24. Griffen
25. Cripps (Carlton)
26. Deledio
27. Wallis
28. Mitchell (Swans)
29. Gray
30. Jack

Ignoring Ablett, Mitchell, Hodge, Bartel, Lewis, Harvey, Mundy as they are the end of their careers.

Ignoring Martin and Petracca and many others who are too early.

Ignoring West Coast players.

1. Fyfe
2. Dangerfield
3. Joel Selwood
4. Pendlebury
5. Sloane
6. Bontempelli
7. Cotchin
8. Parker
9. Heeney
10.Kennedy (Sydney)
11. Hill (Fremantle)
12. Shiels
13. Ward
14. Cunnington
15. Liberatore
16. Varcoe
17. McCrae
18. Duncan
19. Boak
20. Wines
21. Hannebery
22. Ziebell
23. Viney
24. Griffen
25. Cripps (Carlton)
26. Deledio
27. Wallis
28. Mitchell (Swans)
29. Gray
30. Jack

Ignoring Ablett, Mitchell, Hodge, Bartel, Lewis, Harvey, Mundy as they are the end of their careers.

10/10 I would have Neale over Varcoe

1. Fyfe Yes
2. Dangerfield Yes
3. Joel Selwood Yes
4. Pendlebury Not now
5. Sloane Yes
6. Bontempelli Yes
7. Cotchin No
8. Parker Yes
9. Heeney Yes
10.Kennedy (Sydney) Yes
11. Hill (Fremantle) Yes
12. Shiels probably not
13. Ward No
14. Cunnington No
15. Liberatore Yes
16. Varcoe No
17. McCrae No
18. Duncan No
19. Boak Yes
20. Wines Yes
21. Hannebery Yes
22. Ziebell Yes
23. Viney Yes
24. Griffen Not now
25. Cripps (Carlton) Yes
26. Deledio Not now
27. Wallis No
28. Mitchell (Swans) undecided
29. Gray - Yes
30. Jack No

Deledio is the same age as Mundy. Out of your list I agree with 16-17 there are probably a few others not on that list I would include but I would say top 20-25 would be about right.

Deledio is the same age as Mundy. Out of your list I agree with 16-17 there are probably a few others not on that list I would include but I would say top 20-25 would be about right.

I'm about the same. He'd be in the 2-5 best mid for us with Fyfe being 1 and the remaining 2-5 being Mundy, Hill, Bennel (when fit) and Neale, however I'd have him more around 15-25

Sad times when Barlow doesn't get as much of a look in when discussing our best mids but thems are the breaks.

1. Fyfe
2. Dangerfield
3. Joel Selwood
4. Pendlebury
5. Sloane
6. Bontempelli
7. Cotchin
8. Parker
9. Heeney
10.Kennedy (Sydney)
11. Hill (Fremantle)
12. Shiels
13. Ward
14. Cunnington
15. Liberatore
16. Varcoe
17. McCrae
18. Duncan
19. Boak
20. Wines
21. Hannebery
22. Ziebell
23. Viney
24. Griffen
25. Cripps (Carlton)
26. Deledio
27. Wallis
28. Mitchell (Swans)
29. Gray
30. Jack

Well done on going to the effort (more than I would have done).
Personally, I think Neale is ahead of all of Cotchin, Varcoe, Wallis, Deledio, Griffen, Boak and Wines. I would have him on a par with Duncan, Ziebell, T Mitchell and Macrae.

On this year's production, he is ahead of a Pendles, Sloane, Cripps, Gray (inj) and Kennedy.

He was also AA squad last year, which means that on production, some thought he was in the top 40 players in the comp.

1. Fyfe
2. Dangerfield
3. Joel Selwood
4. Pendlebury
5. Sloane
6. Bontempelli
7. Cotchin
8. Parker
9. Heeney
10.Kennedy (Sydney)
11. Hill (Fremantle)
12. Shiels
13. Ward
14. Cunnington
15. Liberatore
16. Varcoe
17. McCrae
18. Duncan
19. Boak
20. Wines
21. Hannebery
22. Ziebell
23. Viney
24. Griffen
25. Cripps (Carlton)
26. Deledio
27. Wallis
28. Mitchell (Swans)
29. Gray
30. Jack

Fair list, few outside mids but yeah, you've made your point.

1. Fyfe
2. Dangerfield
3. Joel Selwood
4. Pendlebury
5. Sloane
6. Bontempelli
7. Cotchin
8. Parker
9. Heeney
10.Kennedy (Sydney)
11. Hill (Fremantle)
12. Shiels
13. Ward
14. Cunnington
15. Liberatore
16. Varcoe
17. McCrae
18. Duncan
19. Boak
20. Wines
21. Hannebery
22. Ziebell
23. Viney
24. Griffen
25. Cripps (Carlton)
26. Deledio
27. Wallis
28. Mitchell (Swans)
29. Gray
30. Jack

I'd still have Neale than more than half of these - his ceiling is still miles off where he is now and he made the AA 40 squad last year. A lot of these players you list aren't great ball winners - Neale is incredibly good at first possession and has a decent outside game unlike a lot of ball winners. If Neale can get his disposal sorted (and I think he will) he could be top 10. He's got plenty of years to hit his prime still. As much as trading him gives us some currency, we would be giving away one of the best upcoming mids in league. He's only 22 remember.

Well done on going to the effort (more than I would have done).
Personally, I think Neale is ahead of all of Cotchin, Varcoe, Wallis, Deledio, Griffen, Boak and Wines. I would have him on a par with Duncan, Ziebell, T Mitchell and Macrae.

On this year's production, he is ahead of a Pendles, Sloane, Cripps, Gray (inj) and Kennedy.

He was also AA squad last year, which means that on production, some thought he was in the top 40 players in the comp.
On production Priddis deserved his brownlow. Something about Neale makes me feel like his ceiling isnt as high as some think. in my opinion he wont lead a midfield and will need more damaging players around him to excell. Hes like one of those guys that RTB probably would have let get 30+ while sending crowls to someone else. s**t i feel bad saying this stuff cuz i love neale but i really want hogan at all costs.

On production Priddis deserved his brownlow. Something about Neale makes me feel like his ceiling isnt as high as some think. in my opinion he wont lead a midfield and will need more damaging players around him to excell. Hes like one of those guys that RTB probably would have let get 30+ while sending crowls to someone else. s**t i feel bad saying this stuff cuz i love neale but i really want hogan at all costs.
To an extent, I agree, but you need both. Priddis (for all his faults) can be a prolific ball winner. IMO, Neale has better other qualities (goal kicking, marking, etc). Neale isn't going to get tagged ahead of Hill (Priddis/Gaff) because inside mids are harder to tag and outside mids are much more damaging if they get loose.

Neale IS leading a midfield, now.

Yeah this year Neale is very Priddis-esq.

2014-2015 Neale is way better.

DE% this year 68.4%, 25 clangers, 1 goal in 7 games.

DE% last year 75.4%, 49 clangers, 16 goals in 24 games.

Something's clearly up with his kicking from watching him. Whether that's just a blip or as a result of no Sandilands and no Fyfe putting a lot more pressure on him, who knows. It'll be interesting to see if he improves as the season progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back