The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

16K is more than I thought Lions v GWS would get.

28K is less than I thought Lions v Ferals would get.

Obviously. Collingwood frequently drawn 30,000+ crowds at the Gabba since Brisbane LIONS first flag. This year sadly stopped this recurrence.

2012: 27,926
2011: Didn't Play
2010: 34,239
2009: 34,912
2008: 33,867
2007: 32,225
2006: Didn't Play
2005: 37,224
2004: 36,467
2003: 36,803
2002: Didn't Play

In our premiership years we were getting over 30k at our homes games than when we started going down the ladder the crowds went down you have the bandwagon fans taking off. When the Lions get back to finals the crowds will come back.

In our premiership years we were getting over 30k at our homes games than when we started going down the ladder the crowds went down you have the bandwagon fans taking off. When the Lions get back to finals the crowds will come back.
Unfortunately happened at the same time that Qld Reds and Brisbane Roar started going places as well.

Unfortunately happened at the same time that Qld Reds and Brisbane Roar started going places as well.

Last year I heard there was something crazy like 3 times as many Reds members as the previous year.

Can't see anything of that magnitude happening at the Lions though

and so is subi on the rare occasions it's not packed

Yeah it would be, don't recall seeing it not packed! Haha. As for Footy Park:

587467-port-adelaide-amp-039-crowd-amp-039-.jpg

If this keeps up maybe they should consider coloured seats too, and that's with tarps covering probably 15,000 of the 50 odd thousand seats.

They already have teal coloured seats at AAMI because it's a Port colour :p

Yeah it would be, don't recall seeing it not packed! Haha. As for Footy Park:

587467-port-adelaide-amp-039-crowd-amp-039-.jpg

If this keeps up maybe they should consider coloured seats too, and that's with tarps covering probably 15,000 of the 50 odd thousand seats.
Did they do that when the Hawks got 11,000 at the MCG a few years ago?

Did they do that when the Hawks got 11,000 at the MCG a few years ago?

I've wondered why the tarps are only used at AAMI when even there are sometimes even worse crowds at the MCG i.e some Melbourne games and when GC/GWS play there or even in the game you mentioned, although that was when you had good crowds. Iroinc that happened to be a Port Adelaide game too, though.

I've wondered why the tarps are only used at AAMI when even there are sometimes even worse crowds at the MCG i.e some Melbourne games and when GC/GWS play there or even in the game you mentioned, although that was when you had good crowds. Iroinc that happened to be a Port Adelaide game too, though.
Because it's something Po(o)r[t] Adelaide has organised to get some more advertising $$$s in (and push spectators together a bit more. First used at AAMI by the SANFL the year before Port started doing it, the had "Be Active" and McDonalds and West End on them in the Finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it's something Po(o)r[t] Adelaide has organised to get some more advertising $$$s in (and push spectators together a bit more. First used at AAMI by the SANFL the year before Port started doing it, the had "Be Active" and McDonalds and West End on them in the Finals.

Yes I've seen them in the SANFL games, which is part why I noted it was only at AAMI.

It's sad that the crowds are dropping off :(

Well you could blame me lol :p :rolleyes:

Brisbane doesn't respond well to cricket (apart from t20 and when England is playing).

Poor attendance today, a majority of the bays are completely empty.

25k on the first day though, which was supposedly the biggest attendance ever at a Brisbane Test outside Tests against England.

The complete washout on day two may be a contributing factor to the sharp drop off since, though. It does look horribly empty today.

It's also because our tests are usually in November when people have work/uni commitments.

If this test was late December or January, I'd go all five days. Instead I only went on Day 3 (really wanted to go today but couldn't). I can't go tomorrow either as much as I want to.

You're right, however the climate prohibits Tests in Brisbane at any other time, really.

I remember I was in Brisbane for a week in December 2010.

It rained heavily every single day!

Personally I think the first test match every summer should always be in Perth due to time differences, since most people have work/uni/school commitments, it makes sense to have the test that is essentially a day/nighter in the eastern states during November rather than December/January.

Personally I think the first test match every summer should always be in Perth due to time differences, since most people have work/uni/school commitments, it makes sense to have the test that is essentially a day/nighter in the eastern states during November rather than December/January.
This is actually fairly sensible. Also in terms of weather. It's not scorching (no T20-based pun intended) around this time in Perth, either.

For people who have never been to the 'Gabba, these are the best seating areas view wise (apart from corporate/BCG/gold class)
Bottom tier: Sections 1-5, 11-13, 38-39 Rows 5-15 (approx)
Middle tier: Sections 14-19
I rarely sit top tier at the 'Gabba. Personally much prefer to be at the bottom tier or middle tier. Also front row at the 'Gabba isn't that good due to the fact that it is a cricket ground and therefore there is a slope from the wickets/centre bounce (good for cricket, not good for Aussie rules).

Looking to get tickets to Brisbane-Geelong later in the year.

Can some Gabba regulars help me out with the general admission seating situation? I notice there are quite a few bays and at ground level (not very common in this part of the world).

If you arrive early can you get a good seat here? Are there any catches?

Or is it worth splashing out to get a reserved seat to reduce the worry.

Thanks.

Looking to get tickets to Brisbane-Geelong later in the year.

Can some Gabba regulars help me out with the general admission seating situation? I notice there are quite a few bays and at ground level (not very common in this part of the world).

If you arrive early can you get a good seat here? Are there any catches?

Or is it worth splashing out to get a reserved seat to reduce the worry.

Thanks.
General Admission is Sections 14-17 (east) and Sections 34-37 (west). The away team's cheersquad is in the east so if you want to be with other Geelong supporters, there would be your best bet. If you arrive early you can get front row seats, however the Gabba is a slightly slopy field (due to cricket being the top priority) so it can be hard to see the other side of the field. If we aren't winning you should be able to get a General Admission ticket and be able to sneak into a more expensive sections without much problems. I'm actually a General Admission member but I've been sitting in Section 30 (reserved seat, bottom tier) in the second half of last season because I know a few friends who sit there. I've only really had a problem with GA when Collingwood come up and the GA sections are filled with Collingwood fans.

As I said in my previous posts Sections 1-13 (note sections 6-10 is BCG members only) and Sections 38-39 and/or the middle tier of sections 14-19 (all reserved seating) are the best seats viewwise. You may find yourself looking at the screen half the time on the other sections of the bottom tier. The top tier (IMO) feels too far away from the action (Haven't sat in the top tier since 2010 and that was for the third day of Ashes).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back