The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

I might as well start this thread since no-one else has.

The 'Gabba

Home of the mighty Brisbane Lions!

Also home to the Brisbane Heat, Queensland Bulls and Australian Cricket Team.

Capacity 42,000.

Discuss.

Hand

Don't think, Do.
May 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Very underrated stadium, never fills to capacity unfortunately, but I always loved the kick on the ground after the match had concluded.

Hand

Don't think, Do.
May 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
LOVE the seat design that makes the ground look full even when it's not. All stadiums should have this.

Its just the seat colours brah. Alot of regional stadiums/athletics tracks/swimming pools in south east qld have the same seats.

I think its a qld government thing

Evelyn208

Club Legend
May 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Which end of the ground do the opposition cheer squad sit?

Any benefits to sitting on south or north stands?

Does it often have a sell-out?

Which end of the ground do the opposition cheer squad sit?

Any benefits to sitting on south or north stands?

Does it often have a sell-out?

Opposition cheer squad sits on the east side.

North side is the BCG members section.

Only sold out once in the past few years (the Fevola v Carlton game).

beer shark

Senior List
Jan 16, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Gday, just wondering if I could get some advice? I am taking my eight year old daughter to her first game of footy later this year to see the Tigers play the Lions. Any tips on the best "family areas" to get seats. I promise to behave. Not to sure about her if the tigers aren't winning or Jack hasn't kicked a goal. Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

beer shark

Senior List
Jan 16, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
Cheers Everton. Usually just stumble through the gates with fellow black and yellows but need to make sure my daughters first experience is enjoyable and safe. Great stadium you guys have too. Much preferred it when the locals living around the stadium would put out their "5 dollars a park" signs. That was handy coming down from the coast. Been fined a couple of times parking since that all changed. Hope the Lions can start winning some games and get that LION chant going again. Just not against the Tiges....

Cheers Everton. Usually just stumble through the gates with fellow black and yellows but need to make sure my daughters first experience is enjoyable and safe. Great stadium you guys have too. Much preferred it when the locals living around the stadium would put out their "5 dollars a park" signs. That was handy coming down from the coast. Been fined a couple of times parking since that all changed. Hope the Lions can start winning some games and get that LION chant going again. Just not against the Tiges....

Shame Brisbane is such a bandwagon town.

Hand

Don't think, Do.
May 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
So true, the average Attendance figures can vary from 10-15,000 depending on how the Lions are going.

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
I've always said that Queensland sports fans are bandwagoners. Just look at the Lions 2010 crowds and compare them to 2012. Although 27k at the Gabba on Sat was a great result. Easy 35k if the Lions were top 8

jethro11

Club Legend
Jul 4, 2011
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newc Utd/Heart/RM92/Indians
I've always said that Queensland sports fans are bandwagoners. Just look at the Lions 2010 crowds and compare them to 2012. Although 27k at the Gabba on Sat was a great result. Easy 35k if the Lions were top 8

Half of that 27 were collingwood supporters ;)

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
Well GWS barely have a supporter base.. Collingwood are the biggest sporting franchise in Australia, with thousands of supporters in each state.

Yes true, but I also think that more Lions fans go as well just because it's Collingwood that they are playing.

Hand

Don't think, Do.
May 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Well obviously a better team is going to draw a better crowd. Whether Gabba attendances exceed 30,000 depends on how the Lions are travelling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back