The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The show grounds have the same capacity as Metricon and is in Brisbane they could play it there.

Cricket has always had a controlling interest in what happens at the Gabba, just like the MCG SCG Adelaide Oval and the WACA

So you have called someone stupid for claiming contractual detail that haven't seen and then you produce this doosy?!?

Just a stream of nonsense

This is the guy who wants it banned from afl use for six weeks....

I wouldnt hold your breathe

No it can't have anything played on it- Afl or whatever. It's a cricket ground first and foremost. The Ashes is critical and he has to ensure the pitch is perfect.

Lions will be fine to play round 2. It will be a storm in a teacup next week.

No it can't have anything played on it- Afl or whatever. It's a cricket ground first and foremost. The Ashes is critical and he has to ensure the pitch is perfect.

Lions will be fine to play round 2. It will be a storm in a teacup next week.

The guy you are saying is the guru says six weeks - that kills round two and the dons.

Either the six weeks is valid or hes full of s**t. Whixh is it

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
The guy you are saying is the guru says six weeks - that kills round two and the dons.

Not to mention that he could have 11 uninterrupted weeks at the end of the footy season.

Not to mention that he could have 11 uninterrupted weeks at the end of the footy season.

It's not enough time. It takes months for the pitch to set in the soil. There is a good reason he is the best curator in Australia. He knows what he's doing. Actually playing footy on the pitches help the soil gain texture and stuff like that.

There are contingency plans I'm sure if there is an issue with Rd 2 but I doubt there will be.

It will be 6 weeks at the absolute utter worst. They won't know until they re lay the turf and repair the damage.

Lions will be playing there in rd2. Not going to be a big deal

It will be 6 weeks at the absolute utter worst. They won't know until they re lay the turf and repair the damage.

Lions will be playing there in rd2. Not going to be a big deal

Would you be so "oh well" if this was the scg?

People just shrugging this off as "s**t happens, lol" baffles me. Brisbane have a right to a ground where the staff are committed to them having a fit and proper venue to play at. Every statement about mitchell and the gabba is they dont want afl there and frankly dont want to do anything to help them at all.

Im.genuinely stunned by the contempt gabba staff and mitchell have shown to the lions

Would you be so "oh well" if this was the scg?

People just shrugging this off as "s**t happens, lol" baffles me. Brisbane have a right to a ground where the staff are committed to them having a fit and proper venue to play at. Every statement about mitchell and the gabba is they dont want afl there and frankly dont want to do anything to help them at all.

Im.genuinely stunned by the contempt gabba staff and mitchell have shown to the lions

Yes I would because I understand first and foremost the SCG is a cricket ground. If we had to play a couple of games at the Olympic Stadium for staff to fix the wicket I'd be annoyed but I'd understand

Yes I would because I understand first and foremost the SCG is a cricket ground. If we had to play a couple of games at the Olympic Stadium for staff to fix the wicket I'd be annoyed but I'd understand

Olympic stadium was your home ground though. Where would the lions play? Toowong high school oval?

Olympic stadium was your home ground though. Where would the lions play? Toowong high school oval?

I'm sure there are plans in place if need be. It won't come to that.

How about we see how the oval is early next week. Give the curator a bit of time to fix the issue first.

I'm sure there are plans in place if need be. It won't come to that.

How about we see how the oval is early next week. Give the curator a bit of time to fix the issue first.

How late do we leave it though to move the game, esp if it has to leave brisbane (cairns and gc are the two obvious options)?

How late do we leave it though to move the game, esp if it has to leave brisbane (cairns and gc are the two obvious options)?

Tuesday would be the latest next week to have some idea. Let's wait till then. They will know some update by the weekend you would assume.

Tuesday would be the latest next week to have some idea. Let's wait till then. They will know some update by the weekend you would assume.

Tuesday imo is too late. Dons will need to change flights and accom, and fans flying up will need as much time as possible.

Then you have cancelling all corp suites and renegotiating deals for alt arrangements

Tuesday imo is too late. Dons will need to change flights and accom, and fans flying up will need as much time as possible.

Then you have cancelling all corp suites and renegotiating deals for alt arrangements

Everyone will have some idea by the weekend. Watch the game be played at the GABBA and everyone would have forgotten about what happened the previous week. Let's wait and see

baaaall!

Team Captain
Mar 24, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Like what lol Suncorp or Ballymore?
Obviously there are no stadiums we could just currently just start using, however the club is currently working with the RNA so a potential redevelopment of the Showgrounds could be considered. Also there has been significant talk about a Brisbane Olympic bid so the main stadium from that could be an option, even if it is further down the track.

Obviously there are no stadiums we could just currently just start using, however the club is currently working with the RNA so a potential redevelopment of the Showgrounds could be considered. Also there has been significant talk about a Brisbane Olympic bid so the main stadium from that could be an option, even if it is further down the track.

You seriously need to look at something else. Even if its a step down from the gabba, at least you will be the main tenant

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
1st world problems hey.....

It's a cricket ground. Get over it.

No, it's a multipurpose stadium. From their own website...

"The Gabba is an icon of the Brisbane landscape and is the home ground for the Brisbane Lions AFL team and the Queensland Bulls state cricket team. The 42,000 seat stadium boasts unrestricted views of the oval playing surface from all areas making it ideal to host international sporting and entertainment events."

Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
The State Government tipped hundreds of millions of dollars into stadium development at the Gabba and Carrara, it's only right that their man should call the shots.

The media (Caro et.al) blew smoke up Demetriou's arse when he retired about how he could get so much money for stadium development without putting his hand in the AFL's pocket. Well, they need to share.

The State Government tipped hundreds of millions of dollars into stadium development at the Gabba and Carrara, it's only right that their man should call the shots.

The media (Caro et.al) blew smoke up Demetriou's arse when he retired about how he could get so much money for stadium development without putting his hand in the AFL's pocket. Well, they need to share.

the state govt wanted the game played. the groundskeeper prevailed, not them

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The show grounds have the same capacity as Metricon and is in Brisbane they could play it there.

Cricket has always had a controlling interest in what happens at the Gabba, just like the MCG SCG Adelaide Oval and the WACA

Adelaide Oval is a joint venture between the SACA and SANFL now.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
the state govt wanted the game played. the groundskeeper prevailed, not them

And that's why he needs to be removed from his position. Get a professional like Les Burdett in (who never had an issue getting Adelaide Oval for football in winter).

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
It's not enough time. It takes months for the pitch to set in the soil. There is a good reason he is the best curator in Australia. He knows what he's doing. Actually playing footy on the pitches help the soil gain texture and stuff like that.

There are contingency plans I'm sure if there is an issue with Rd 2 but I doubt there will be.
As someone who has experience in this area I absolutely agree with you and speaking to a couple of very well renowned curators in Adelaide over the last few days they back up Mitchell 100%.
Until they go to a drop in pitch then there is always a chance of something like this going wrong if a concert is in the ground so close to the start of the season

Back