The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously there are no stadiums we could just currently just start using, however the club is currently working with the RNA so a potential redevelopment of the Showgrounds could be considered. Also there has been significant talk about a Brisbane Olympic bid so the main stadium from that could be an option, even if it is further down the track.
If Brisbane get the Olympics and it's a massive if you will be waiting 20 years to move into a crap stadium like ANZ

And that's why he needs to be removed from his position. Get a professional like Les Burdett in (who never had an issue getting Adelaide Oval for football in winter).
My understanding is that Les is in agreement with Mitchell over this. The GABBA has copped unprecedented damage and several other curators think it's the worst damage to a pitch they have seen. Interestingly enough one of the guys preparing the pitch for the SS final believes the GABBA may need closer to 8 weeks to get up

My understanding is that Les is in agreement with Mitchell over this. The GABBA has copped unprecedented damage and several other curators think it's the worst damage to a pitch they have seen. Interestingly enough one of the guys preparing the pitch for the SS final believes the GABBA may need closer to 8 weeks to get up

Then questions have to be asked to as how his surface could be out for up to eight weeks while Etihad will have footy on it a week after Adele and 2 weeks for Adelaide Oval.

Kevin Mitchell Jr has stuffed up big time and needs to be brought to account.

Then questions have to be asked to as how his surface could be out for up to eight weeks while Etihad will have footy on it a week after Adele and 2 weeks for Adelaide Oval.

Kevin Mitchell Jr has stuffed up big time and needs to be brought to account.
Not having a drop in pitch hurts.
The damage done from the concert at the GABBA was far worse than what Etihad and AO received. From my experience re-laying the center wicket area usually takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks minimum for the turf to bed in and once that is a success you can easily play multiple footy games a week on it without damaging it. By the sounds of it the turf hasn't taken yet despite being laid 3 weeks ago. That could be in part to several things such as poor weather or poor workmanship. With nearly 3 weeks before the next game there I would expect it to be in top notch and ready to go

And that's why he needs to be removed from his position. Get a professional like Les Burdett in (who never had an issue getting Adelaide Oval for football in winter).

Let's not forget though that once Sturt moved back to Unley in 1998, Adelaide Oval didn't have footy every week or every second week, though. A bit easier to prepare when you might have a month or so between games (eg. the end of the Shield season, then the traditional ANZAC Day clash).

Let's not forget though that once Sturt moved back to Unley in 1998, Adelaide Oval didn't have footy every week or every second week, though. A bit easier to prepare when you might have a month or so between games (eg. the end of the Shield season, then the traditional ANZAC Day clash).

It still got pretty regular use as a neutral venue up until around 2007 (each team had 4 neutrals there from 1998-2000, then 2 from 2001-2006), on top of teams shifting games there for the lights (or in Port's case, a council spat).

Wellington Rd always has paid private parking. Had no issues getting a spot around 30-40 mins from bounce. Potts st too but risk of being double parked. Ranges from $15 to $20 depending on how close you are.

If you arrive early enough (2+ hrs before bounce) you might be able to find street parking that wont be fined.

Am I missing something about the Gabba admin. Is this normal? Today at Brisbane v Richmond:

- the queues to buy tickets were way too long. Only 21k turned up, most with pre-bought tickets, but there were 50m lines. The ticket person said that they were having to constantly restart their computers for some reason.
- the video scoreboard did not get the right TV feed in the first half. Replays, player info and goal data were absent.
- the EFTPOS failed at half time. Impacted all food, beer and merch outlets

None of these are a disaster. But it's a poor effort compared to other Aus stadiums. Do better.

Am I missing something about the Gabba admin. Is this normal? Today at Brisbane v Richmond:

- the queues to buy tickets were way too long. Only 21k turned up, most with pre-bought tickets, but there were 50m lines. The ticket person said that they were having to constantly restart their computers for some reason.
- the video scoreboard did not get the right TV feed in the first half. Replays, player info and goal data were absent.

None of these are a disaster. But it's a poor effort compared to other Aus stadiums. Do better.
Kevin Mitchell jnr at it again?

All the computer power was being used to test snicko and Hawkeye ahead of the ashes....gotta get that right, priorities

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be going to the Bulldogs vs Lions game on August 5th.

Any pubs near the ground that people recommend for beforehand?

Pineapple Hotel or the German Club are your best bets.

Some brilliant pubs within a few minutes walk of the Gabba if you are after a great pub meal and nice atmosphere, my current top 3-

1) The Brewhouse- http://brewhouse.com.au/
2) The Morrision- https://www.morrisonhotel.com.au/
3) The Norman- http://www.normanhotel.com.au/

I go to every home game and go out for a meal before most games, you can't go wrong with any of those 3.

Edit- TBDs above, The Pineapple great, never been to the German club but I would take his word for it.

Pineapple Hotel or the German Club are your best bets.
Some brilliant pubs within a few minutes walk of the Gabba if you are after a great pub meal and nice atmosphere, my current top 3-

1) The Brewhouse- http://brewhouse.com.au/
2) The Morrision- https://www.morrisonhotel.com.au/
3) The Norman- http://www.normanhotel.com.au/

I go to every home game and go out for a meal before most games, you can't go wrong with any of those 3.

Edit- TBDs above, The Pineapple great, never been to the German club but I would take his word for it.
Cheers fellas :thumbsupemoji:

The German club for sure! It's only accross the road & loads of German been & great atmosphere
German club has best booze and good food, only annoying thing is they don't serve meals before twilight games, only afternoon and nights

German club has best booze and good food, only annoying thing is they don't serve meals before twilight games, only afternoon and nights
Yeah to early! Just have the liquid dinner ;)
It's been a few years since I've been out on the town in Brisbane, but the German club was awsome, purely because most pubs around Brisbane sell or just sold in the past xxxx & toheys! :oops:

Do the AFL interchange benches get "packed up" for cricket at the 'Gabba? I'm not good with the ground orientation so unsure where to look for them on the cricket coverage.

Do the AFL interchange benches get "packed up" for cricket at the 'Gabba? I'm not good with the ground orientation so unsure where to look for them on the cricket coverage.

Go to google maps and zoom in on the Gabba. Will be absolutely clear what happens.

Hint (they pack em up)

Go to google maps and zoom in on the Gabba. Will be absolutely clear what happens.

Hint (they pack em up)
But where is it located when it's there? As I said, I'm not very familiar with the orientation of the ground.
Hint: that's why I politely enquired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back