The 'Gabba (Brisbane Cricket Ground)

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
New plans for the Gabba look good as well as new train station next to the ground with walk bridges and entrances to the ground ready by 2024 if it comes off will get its Test status back

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
New plans for the Gabba look good as well as new train station next to the ground with walk bridges and entrances to the ground ready by 2024 if it comes off will get its Test status back
The 'Gabba has not lost Test status. In fact, it is hosting a Test this summer.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The 'Gabba has not lost Test status. In fact, it is hosting a Test this summer.
Yeah against Sri Lanka in Feb If plans go ahead it will hosting the real teams back there in time like England India and maybe South Africa not the 2nd rate teams like Pakistan New Zealand West Indies

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Yeah against Sri Lanka in Feb If plans go ahead it will hosting the real teams back there in time like England India and maybe South Africa not the 2nd rate teams like Pakistan New Zealand West Indies
There's only one level of Test status. The 'Gabba has it.
Similarly there's only one level of Test status for teams too.
Let's not falsely represent the facts.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Just had a look on Ticketmaster to see how sales were going for Thursday night and there's no General Admission tickets left and about 1,000 reserved seats left with tickets in bays 49-54 that are usually closed being among them! It helps that the Broncos are 1-4, the game is on a night immediately before a public holiday and, well, Collingwood are visiting. Things for at least this week are looking good for the AFL at The Gabba and sales for the Swans clash are doing well too.

jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
Now I know that this might not be possible but, Would It be possible is The Lions can play Finals and Big Matches at Lang Park like what Sydney did with Stadium Australia. Now I know that it isn't a convertible Stadium like Australia is but could they fit a AFL Field on the ground that is there?

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Now I know that this might not be possible but, Would It be possible is The Lions can play Finals and Big Matches at Lang Park like what Sydney did with Stadium Australia. Now I know that it isn't a convertible Stadium like Australia is but could they fit a AFL Field on the ground that is there?
No it's way too short

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The stadium is designed to fit a rugby pitch of about 120m x 70m (soccer is shorter and about as wide) so they'd be playing on an oval with maximum dimensions of those as opposed to 155 x 140 approx.

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I went to the game on Thursday night, first time I've been there since 2013, and I've got to say I still like the Gabba.

Lots of talk about it as all the other major footy/cricket stadiums have since undergone upgrades (MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, Bellerive Oval, Kardinya Park, Metricon Stadium, Giant Stadium) since its redevelopment in 2005, but I don't think the Gabba warrants an upgrade any time soon.

Last week was the Lions' first sell-out since Fev's debut with the club in 2010, and it was still about 8,000 shy from being a full house. Additionally, it's rarely full for cricket, so with the demand not crying out for an upgrade - and honestly I don't know of there's land available for it to get bigger - I think it should remain as it for the foreseeable future.

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
I went to the game on Thursday night, first time I've been there since 2013, and I've got to say I still like the Gabba.

Lots of talk about it as all the other major footy/cricket stadiums have since undergone upgrades (MCG, SCG, Adelaide Oval, Bellerive Oval, Kardinya Park, Metricon Stadium, Giant Stadium) since its redevelopment in 2005, but I don't think the Gabba warrants an upgrade any time soon.

Last week was the Lions' first sell-out since Fev's debut with the club in 2010, and it was still about 8,000 shy from being a full house. Additionally, it's rarely full for cricket, so with the demand not crying out for an upgrade - and honestly I don't know of there's land available for it to get bigger - I think it should remain as it for the foreseeable future.

The talk around the Gabba is more about refurbishment to keep the stadium up to scratch with it's competitors such as the MCG not expansion, the Northern section which has been standing for around 25 years is due for mid-life upgrades and the AFL benches should be moved in front of the members as well.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral

I don't think it needs an expansion, but a facility upgrade hasn't happened there since...I don't know when.
What is required for top-level sport, by players, broadcasters, and spectators, has changed.
It's necessary to keep up with these requirements or things start going elsewhere.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
I don't think it needs an expansion, but a facility upgrade hasn't happened there since...I don't know when.
What is required for top-level sport, by players, broadcasters, and spectators, has changed.
It's necessary to keep up with these requirements or things start going elsewhere.

The bulk of the refurbishment was done for the 2000 Olympics, with the last part (where the Lions Social Club used to sit) done in 2005. With the exception of the pool, the ground's barely been touched since, so it is due for a refresh. At the moment, it's probably competing with the SCG for the worst full time AFL/cricket ground in the country in terms of spectator facilities. A refresh will give that honour to the SCG.

The talk around the Gabba is more about refurbishment to keep the stadium up to scratch with it's competitors such as the MCG not expansion, the Northern section which has been standing for around 25 years is due for mid-life upgrades and the AFL benches should be moved in front of the members as well.

It's been an interesting quirk of the Gabba to have the benches on the outer side of the ground. I think the issue of moving them would be that the change rooms would end up being at the opposite end of the ground, but I guess that's no different to Adelaide Oval and the visitors rooms at the SCG.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The bulk of the refurbishment was done for the 2000 Olympics, with the last part (where the Lions Social Club used to sit) done in 2005. With the exception of the pool, the ground's barely been touched since, so it is due for a refresh. At the moment, it's probably competing with the SCG for the worst full time AFL/cricket ground in the country in terms of spectator facilities. A refresh will give that honour to the SCG.
Agree. The SCG is probably just ahead at present due to the northern stand.

It's been an interesting quirk of the Gabba to have the benches on the outer side of the ground. I think the issue of moving them would be that the change rooms would end up being at the opposite end of the ground, but I guess that's no different to Adelaide Oval and the visitors rooms at the SCG.
To me the main issue is that it removes advertising exposure. They've sorted that out with the big ads behind the bench but should the Lions get regular big crowds again that will have to go.

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree. The SCG is probably just ahead at present due to the northern stand.

To me the main issue is that it removes advertising exposure. They've sorted that out with the big ads behind the bench but should the Lions get regular big crowds again that will have to go.

They tried standing room behind the benches for a while... which was a good idea (a lot of people like to stand and mingle on the Stanley Street side of the ground).

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The biggest problem with the Gabba is that even when it was 'finished' in 2005 - it was already more than a decade old.

They tried standing room behind the benches for a while... which was a good idea (a lot of people like to stand and mingle on the Stanley Street side of the ground).
Biggest gripe with the Gabba at the moment is lack of standing. The area I stood behind the Western Scoreboard last season turned into a corporate beergarden and they don't allow standing in front of the eastern scoreboard for some *ed reason

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Biggest gripe with the Gabba at the moment is lack of standing.

Very true.

The Dean Bros need to come in the middle of the night and bulldoze a whole heap of seats.

Going to the footy or cricket is a social event for many people and while no one wants a return to the 'messy' bad old days of the hill... some freedom of movement would be nice...

Very true.

The Dean Bros need to come in the middle of the night and bulldoze a whole heap of seats.

Going to the footy or cricket is a social event for many people and while no one wants a return to the 'messy' bad old days of the hill... some freedom of movement would be nice...
Yeah at least you don't support the only team in the AFL that has a no standing option for home games. As someone who prefers to stand when my team is playing it is incredibly frustrating. Wish the club would at least open up some of the back rows of upper tier seating to GA if it's the Gabba that says we can't stand in front of the Eastern scoreboard

Sydneyfan

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2000
Brisbanópolis
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S’roos, Brisbane Lions, N Syd Bears
I like the Gabba as it is but can definitely see the benefits of a spruce up given the upgrade to other stadia across Australia in the past few years with competition for events pushing the NSW & QLD Governments to raise/commence new stadium construction to keep up with the MCG, Marvel Satdium, Adelaide Oval & Optus Stadium. It's a compact ground with enclosed, relatively close to the action seating that is quite easy to enter/exit compared with other grounds. It's location will only improve once the Cross Rail station is built across the ground. Maybe, a reconfigured stadium of 35,000 with more bells and whistles but maintaining the current dimensions (as there's literally nowhere the stadium can spread possibly going up).

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
is quite easy to enter/exit compared with other grounds.
Yeah you're right... And I like the fact that it's actually not just stuck in the middle of nowhere... (like Metricon)

There's plenty of pubs nearby so you can meet up before the game... (or retire to if the cricket finishes early)... Families can kick the ball around Raymond Park (or Pineapple Park as the locals call it), pop into KFC or Mcdonalds... The precinct itself will be even better once the train station is complete...

Sadly though, once you're inside... the stadium itself isn't the best.

Claustrophobic, restrictive and dated.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If they did want to expand, I wonder if they could send part of Vulture St underground to build out the north side a bit more. They'd have to buy out the businesses across the road probably. Main St can't go underground since it's right next to Cross River Rail which will also be underground, plus the QCC is in the way of any westward expansion.

I suppose they could relocate the school to one of the areas presently covered by warehouses, but that may be hard to do politically.

Back