The Gabba , Refurbish , Demolish & Rebuild or Relocate ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
As the current home venue of AFL and Test Cricket & Big Bash in Brisbane

What should happen to the Gabba going into the next 30 years

Should significant dollars be spent to upgrade the venue for Brisbane spectators , and to bring it up to standard of the other major sport venues around the country.

Owned by the Queensland Govt & arent the AFL in a never ending s**t fight with the stadium management over the priority that they give to cricket?

They'd be lucky to see any AFL moolah I would have thought.

Is there something wrong with the Gabba?

Has not had a dollars spent on it since the got rid of the dog track and put the stands up. The amenities for players and spectators are well behind the times.

Cricket Australia have refused to guarantee Test matches will be played there unless something is done to upgrade the joint

As the current home venue of AFL and Test Cricket & Big Bash in Brisbane

What should happen to the Gabba going into the next 30 years

Should significant dollars be spent to upgrade the venue for Brisbane spectators , and to bring it up to standard of the other major sport venues around the country.
I caught the tail end of the sports minister being interviewed about this last night. could be wrong, but was saying they plan to spend some money on it, at some stage..... but will not sell the naming rights.
its not in a great spot, but cant see them ever moving it. Needs a dirty big carpark and bus interchange built underneath it or something.
Once you are inside I don't think its too bad, but haven't been to many other stadiums for a couple of years now so hard to compare to the latest and greatest out there.

I remember when I was in the Navy, pulling into Brisbane for a couple of nights at Bulimba and going to a Brisbane v Richmond game, was around 1996 or so. They were doing big refurbishments then and parts of the stands were out of bounds. I doubt they've done any work on it since then.

Richmond won the game.

I remember when I was in the Navy, pulling into Brisbane for a couple of nights at Bulimba and going to a Brisbane v Richmond game, was around 1996 or so. They were doing big refurbishments then and parts of the stands were out of bounds. I doubt they've done any work on it since then.

Richmond won the game.
Richmond havent lost at the Gabba since 1926.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously the ground had its big redevelopment in the 90s, but the final stage of it (replacing the social club to extend the grandstands all across the oval) was finished in the early 2000s.

A while ago now, but it's fine for at least another decade.

It's certainly no Adelaide Oval or Perth Stadium, but it's not as bad as AAMI Stadium or Subiaco Oval yet either.

I've never been, so I don't know how the transport works, the local amenities or really much about it. From my knowledge of Brisbane it's not in a bad spot, but like every stadium that doesn't mean it's easy to get to.

Over time it should get a face lift but it does great crowds for the cricket and if the Lions start winning the crowds will come for the footy.

I wouldn't try to compete with Adelaide Oval or Perth Stadium. It costs too much to much money to try and refurbish it to that extent and why would you need to? Spend the money on a face lift and on good staff, good service and reasonable seats at the right price. Really that's what people want, not a fancy walkway and bright lights.

Entry level seats to Perth stadium are costing a fortune as the Government/management try to recoup their money. Not ideal, but the demand is there. No chance the same demand exists at the Gabba for footy so don't spend buckets thinking that will somehow create it.

My (limited) experience with the Gabba is that it's in a bit of an awkward location - not really near major rail routes or roads and very little parking nearby. I guess that will improve when the underground rail is finished.
But the stadium itself is OK. The gradient on the ground level is a bit low though. If you're sitting behind someone more than about 4 inches taller than you then you're in strife. You wouldn't buy a kids ticket for level 1.

Has not had a dollars spent on it since the got rid of the dog track and put the stands up. The amenities for players and spectators are well behind the times.

Cricket Australia have refused to guarantee Test matches will be played there unless something is done to upgrade the joint
There will still be Tests played there, they just won't always get the #1 team in 3-4 Test series.
Someone has to be the fifth stadium and the Gabba seems entirely appropriate for what it is. You can't just pour billions into new stadiums every few years - well, you can, but other things in society have to function.

I haven't lived in Brissie for well over a decade, but the Gabba seemed fine back then. Well except for the fact that the last game I went to Johnno Hay would just bomb it out of fullback to Aker/some brownlow medallist and then it would be another goal to Brisbane. IIRC Hawks scored 31 for the whole game.

I reckon the location is fine, lots of places to go after a game close by, and the stadium suits the population and average crowd.

A bit off topic but destroying the Gabba hotel for that dreadful apartment block was a crime.

I dont mind it as a venue (just not for home games for the suns!)

As an aside, i am thinking of going up tonorrow to see lions play swans but cheapest ticket i can find on top level behind goals (where i like to sit) is $50!!
Thats perth stadium prices!!

Tell me i am doing something wrong !! ??

Any lions members with a spare ticket/membership (top deck) pm me. Ill give you $25.

Is there something wrong with the Gabba?

Owned by the Queensland Govt & arent the AFL in a never ending s**t fight with the stadium management over the priority that they give to cricket?

They'd be lucky to see any AFL moolah I would have thought.

Until a year or two ago the curator was a cricket nut who refused to prepare the field properly for Brisbane Lions games. Wouldn't cut or water the grass to AFL specifications.

It needs drop-in cricket pitches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back