The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
The Autumn sun looked very awkward on the ground, anyone sit in it ?

I choose my seat based on that sun, which is still a summer sun really. I think that sun is also one reason why there were little to no North supporters at the opposition end of the ground.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
What really infuriates me is how security make you tip out your water bottle. What the hell can you do with your water bottle? Does this happen at any other ground?

I take sealed bottles of water in every match. Have never had a problem with security.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I take sealed bottles of water in every match. Have never had a problem with security.

For night games in winter I take a hip flask full of whiskey and keep it in my jacket pocket. Never had a problem with security either! Security is just for show at the end of the day.

For night games in winter I take a hip flask full of whiskey and keep it in my jacket pocket. Never had a problem with security either! Security is just for show at the end of the day.
Bag checks the main priority, that's what I notice anyway.

I've often wondered how much gets through the gate in a jacket. They're so fixated on what is in a bag but seem to forget that most articles of clothing contain pockets.

Matilda Bay bar switching to Peroni. Not sure how I feel about that. Price has gone up again too.

Gourmet burger - a bit disappointing, to be honest. Two pieces of pork belly were cut nearly as thin as prosciutto. Chicken burgers looked great though so might switch it up next game.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?

Yep, sealed bottles are the go. They never question them. I have taken five in at once, as long as they are sealed they were happy. But have an open water bottle and you are the devil and that bottle shall be banished.

They also search only the main part of backpacks so you could have a turkey dinner in the other pockets and they wouldn't particularly care.

It reminds me of trying to smuggle food into the Gold Coast theme parks instead of paying their nasty prices for nasty food. Then someone told me to simply have a list of food allergies as long as your arm and they let it all through! My doctor put me on a strict turkey dinner diet from then on!

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Stevo had breaking news today by way of a review of Ethihad's new security (previously done by Spotless) and mentioned the banning of opened water bottles. (I didn't watch whatever show he was on) but from twitter comments, this wasn't new at all. The water bottle thing is more about protecting the commercial interests of stadium vendors than security. Same as not allowing commercially packaged fast food in.

agree- the lights.
food- i know a lot of people like to make the food and drink at the game part of the total game day experience but we always make a bit of a day of it. yesterday all 7 (4 adults 3 kids) of us went to nandos pre game, a lot better feed and value.
lots of other options around the gabba eg. the norman, subway, the morrison, the pineapple, chineese etc....
we take bottled water in + a few lollies for the kids and were sweet, after all it's only about 2 and a half hours you need to go without food while at the gabba.
v. the suns, going to the norman can't wait to go to the worst vegetarian restaurant in brisbane:)
The timing of yesterday's game was good in respect to food consumption. We ate before hand and grabbed something on the way home. But that's the last we'll have at that time of day, now daylight savings is done.
We're (wife and 2 kids) are General Admission members and since the 'Miracle on Grass' don't take any risks in getting our seats. We get to the ground to be at the front of the line to get in the gate and get the same seats every game. To do this, we drive to Chermside and catch the bus. We allow a half hour bus ride, getting to the ground a half hour before gates open. The gates open an hour & 40 minutes before the game. This means we catch the bus, at least 2 and a half hours before the game and no time to visit eateries at Wooloongabba before going in. We could take turns at walking up to Maccas or where ever after getting our seats, but * that. Add to that 3 hours of game and return bus trip, then drive home and we are on the go for 6 hours. Yes we could plan better, and at times we have taken a thermos with hotdog franks in it, but again, a pain in the arse to carry etc.
For night games we'll be leaving Chermside mid-afternoon and be at the Gabba at dinner time, so it becomes more of a necessary evil, having to buy or take food. That's an individual choice for some, to buy or bring, but many, many people don't get the choice. Many have no option other than to have to pack something that passes for a meal and keep well for the hours between leaving home and time to eat.
It simply isn't family friendly.

I don't mind paying a bit too much for the convenience, but every year it goes up.

Reporter Tom Browne had a shot about people complaining in Melbourne at the start of the year;
I'm one of those idiots who blows money on alcohol and cigarettes. The thing is, my weekly beer consumption at home costs around $60/week. 5 beers at the Gabba now costs $38.50. It's not the 10 or 20 cent increase that hurts, it's the fact that everything started off stupidly over priced and each year now is just taking the piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We could take turns at walking up to Mackers or where ever after getting our seats, but **** that. Add to that 3 hours of game and return bus trip, then drive home and we are on the go for 6 hours. .
Hey mods, how's this weird autocorrect thing? I typed Macca's (without the apostrophe) and the above is what turns up. Is there a ban on commercial food outlets being named?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The timing of yesterday's game was good in respect to food consumption. We ate before hand and grabbed something on the way home. But that's the last we'll have at that time of day, now daylight savings is done.
We're (wife and 2 kids) are General Admission members and since the 'Miracle on Grass' don't take any risks in getting our seats. We get to the ground to be at the front of the line to get in the gate and get the same seats every game. To do this, we drive to Chermside and catch the bus. We allow a half hour bus ride, getting to the ground a half hour before gates open. The gates open an hour & 40 minutes before the game. This means we catch the bus, at least 2 and a half hours before the game and no time to visit eateries at Wooloongabba before going in. We could take turns at walking up to Mackers or where ever after getting our seats, but **** that. Add to that 3 hours of game and return bus trip, then drive home and we are on the go for 6 hours. Yes we could plan better, and at times we have taken a thermos with hotdog franks in it, but again, a pain in the arse to carry etc.
For night games we'll be leaving Chermside mid-afternoon and be at the Gabba at dinner time, so it becomes more of a necessary evil, having to buy or take food. That's an individual choice for some, to buy or bring, but many, many people don't get the choice. Many have no option other than to have to pack something that passes for a meal and keep well for the hours between leaving home and time to eat.

I don't mind paying a bit too much for the convenience, but every year it goes up.
that's a dedicated trip in Skoob, I should have thought that one through in a more empathetic way, that does make it hard food and drink wise for you. we are very fortunate in that my wife and i have around an hour trip in from the scenic rim by car and park at my son and his families house which is a 15 minute walk to the gabba.

What really infuriates me is how security make you tip out your water bottle. What the hell can you do with your water bottle? Does this happen at any other ground?

Yeah, if the bottle isn't sealed I've seen it at a few venues now - sports and concerts - down here.

Matilda Bay bar switching to Peroni. Not sure how I feel about that. Price has gone up again too.

Gourmet burger - a bit disappointing, to be honest. Two pieces of pork belly were cut nearly as thin as prosciutto. Chicken burgers looked great though so might switch it up next game.

Felt I had been distinctly mislead re: Matilda Bay once I got there :(. Oh well, the cider was Matilda Bay and good. The pork belly was still one of the nicest burgers I've had, so kudos on that.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Reporter Tom Browne had a shot about people complaining in Melbourne at the start of the year;
I'm one of those idiots who blows money on alcohol and cigarettes. The thing is, my weekly beer consumption at home costs around $60/week. 5 beers at the Gabba now costs $38.50. It's not the 10 or 20 cent increase that hurts, it's the fact that everything started off stupidly over priced and each year now is just taking the piss.

Don't you just love the Guilt Trip psychology that people like T Browne try to hang on you?

You choose to use some of your income on discretionary spending outside the confines of a sporting arena and spend (say) $50 buying 50 units of a product.

That's a "waste". Shame on you!!!

Irrespective of the fact that the consumer (usually) takes advantage of market forces to ensure they he/she is getting the best price possible.

But if someone has a monopoly inside the confines of a sporting arena and charges you $50 for 20 units of the same product you are supposed to cop it sweet. Don't dare even feel unhappy about it.....you whinger!!!!

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
that's a dedicated trip in Skoob, I should have thought that one through in a more empathetic way, that does make it hard food and drink wise for you. we are very fortunate in that my wife and i have around an hour trip in from the scenic rim by car and park at my son and his families house which is a 15 minute walk to the gabba.
Luckily I can afford it without hardship, but many couldn't. GA v Reserved seating membership makes a big difference as well. We mainly sit in GA by choice ( I like to sit at the fence at ground level, where we do). Unfortunately that means going when we do to make sure we get 'our' seats. That's our choice, so not whinging in regard to that, but the point is that for many, the options narrow with the price of chips etc.

Luckily I can afford it without hardship, but many couldn't. GA v Reserved seating membership makes a big difference as well. We mainly sit in GA by choice ( I like to sit at the fence at ground level, where we do). Unfortunately that means going when we do to make sure we get 'our' seats. That's our choice, so not whinging in regard to that, but the point is that for many, the options narrow with the price of chips etc.
Section 29 had memberships available 2 rows back from the fence. It is the section next to the players bench and the players walk in front of the section when rotated off. Have to put up with players getting ripped into by 'fans' when things aren't going well, but fantastic when we are up and about.

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Stevo had breaking news today by way of a review of Ethihad's new security (previously done by Spotless) and mentioned the banning of opened water bottles. (I didn't watch whatever show he was on) but from twitter comments, this wasn't new at all. The water bottle thing is more about protecting the commercial interests of stadium vendors than security. Same as not allowing commercially packaged fast food in.

We're (wife and 2 kids) are General Admission members and since the 'Miracle on Grass' don't take any risks in getting our seats. We get to the ground to be at the front of the line to get in the gate and get the same seats every game. To do this, we drive to Chermside and catch the bus. We allow a half hour bus ride, getting to the ground a half hour before gates open. The gates open an hour & 40 minutes before the game. This means we catch the bus, at least 2 and a half hours before the game and no time to visit eateries at Wooloongabba before going in. We could take turns at walking up to Mackers or where ever after getting our seats, but **** that. Add to that 3 hours of game and return bus trip, then drive home and we are on the go for 6 hours. Yes we could plan better, and at times we have taken a thermos with hotdog franks in it, but again, a pain in the arse to carry etc.

Good post. It would be good if the Lions and Gabba got to see it because I doubt they consider this type of fan experience.

I don't know if this is useful but we're also a family of four with young kids and we leave home about 1.5 hours before game time so not as long as your trip but not super quick either. We usually prepare food like chicken curry with rice or stir-fry noodles or similar type dishes that we pack (hot) into a lunch box each and then into a small one of those soft insulated esky things which helps keep it hot enough until we get to the game. Sometimes we do things that are good even if they are cooler or cold like rice paper rolls or ham and salad rolls for day games . I put the soft esky into my back pack and it's not too heavy. My wife packs some stuff like biscuits, cake, fruit etc into her back pack. As I mentioned earlier I take booze in my jacket etc. Every two or three games I make something like hamburgers and then buy chips at the Gabba (bring our own sauce in a little round tupperware container) and almost every game the kids get an ice cream or drink at half time as their bought treat. Kids water bottles and coffee/tea thermos' (my wife doesn't drink) seem to make it through security ok.

To be honest though, we don't do these things so much for financial reasons (except for the booze probably) but more because we just don't like the food offerings at the Gabba. I just can't believe that most people want to eat poor quality fried food in this day and age and don't understand why that is the only real option. Even the expensive social club only offers bbq. Surely most people's tastes have changed?

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
To be honest though, we don't do these things so much for financial reasons (except for the booze probably) but more because we just don't like the food offerings at the Gabba. I just can't believe that most people want to eat poor quality fried food in this day and age and don't understand why that is the only real option. Even the expensive social club only offers bbq. Surely most people's tastes have changed?
You just reminded me that there was a Four 'n' Twenty cart last year (didn't take any notice if it was there this week). Inside gate 2 (presume others around the ground). Really well priced from memory, although don't recall how much for a pie or sausage roll.
My kids are 17 & 22 and pay their own memberships now, so I don't mind springing for a feed. Didn't eat at the Gabba this week, so haven't seen the new prices on food, but we generally have a snack, as opposed to kidding ourselves anything there is a meal.:D

We have done the salad rolls or hot dogs, own sauce etc. When we couldn't be bothered, we have also bought Subway and wrapped it in al-foil to hide the branded wrapper.

I don't drink spirits unless I've already got a skin full and insist on having a beer while watching footy, so I'm stuck with the Carlton Mids until I figure out a way to get 5 stubbies in.:p *And keep them cold.

Tom Browne is an idiot. So because people choose to spend their money elsewhere means they don't have the right to complain about constant price rises elsewhere? I don't smoke, and don't really drink much (despite the collection I've mentioned in the scotch thread - go figure). But Tom? Give yourself an uppercut, champion. If a family of four ate what my wife and I did yesterday (a hotdog and a coke each), that would've been a $46 meal. That's acceptable? Tickets for a family of four in General Access is $57 after Ticketmaster fees. Spending 79% of the price of admission on snacks at the game is ok?

I think people have every right to complain. Football games are generally scheduled around meal times, and unless you take more time out of your day to go eat before going to the ground (honestly, not a bad idea - but we were busy yesterday, and typically the earliest we get to a game is 15 mins before, most of last season it was just as the first bounce happened), you're in a captive environment and only have access to the food facilities that are provided by the ground. When those prices keep going up, it keeps reducing the value of going to the ground. Sooner or later it'll be pricing people out of going to the game.

Last edited:

CoZi36

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Roar, Bolton Wanderers
I go to Coles across the road before the match and buy myself two pump bottles of water and two pepsi max 600ml bottles. I also take my own small bottle of Masterfoods tomato sauce in my bag in case I wish to have hot chips at the game, which I didn't yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back