The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Section 29 had memberships available 2 rows back from the fence. It is the section next to the players bench and the players walk in front of the section when rotated off. Have to put up with players getting ripped into by 'fans' when things aren't going well, but fantastic when we are up and about.
We have had seats there for the last 5 seasons as well, great spot to watch shots on goal from that pocket, being ground level and perfect angle.
Can't wait for Shache to line one up in front of us and kick ass.
Love the fact that the players walk in front of us as well, definite reason why we gravitated there, somehow feel closer to the game, always yell out encouraging stuff of course .

Grizzly86

Club Legend
Sep 6, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not that I would try it but I wonder what the "penalty" would be for trying to smuggle a hip flask into the game .....and being caught by "security" on the way in?

Confiscated flask, a severe dressing from security and police, and a fine. Can't recall the price of the fine, but it happened to a mate when we went to the cricket a few years ago. He almost got refused entry. It was a long day listening to him bang on about the fun police.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Not that I would try it but I wonder what the "penalty" would be for trying to smuggle a hip flask into the game .....and being caught by "security" on the way in?
as long as it is in a jacket or pants pocket no chance of getting caught those security guards have no authority to frisk you or ask you to empty your pockets.

as long as it is in a jacket or pants pocket no chance of getting caught those security guards have no authority to frisk you or ask you to empty your pockets.

They're fine to ask you - they just can't force you. However they can refuse entry if you say no as well, in theory, according to the entry conditions of the venue. But in practice neither happens.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
They're fine to ask you - they just can't force you. However they can refuse entry if you say no as well, in theory, according to the entry conditions of the venue. But in practice neither happens.
yep, never seen it happen at any venue either. if they started to ask people to empty pockets it would take an hour to get in the gate.

Matilda Bay bar switching to Peroni. Not sure how I feel about that. Price has gone up again too.

Gourmet burger - a bit disappointing, to be honest. Two pieces of pork belly were cut nearly as thin as prosciutto. Chicken burgers looked great though so might switch it up next game.

Justice be done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Changed seats this year from downstairs in section 5 to up in the stands. Much better atmosphere. Haven't explored my surrounds just yet but the peroni and chicken/pork belly burgers sound delicious.

I don't bother buying the food inside very often. Like others have said, its very ordinary. I would cough up a premium price if the offerings were half decent.

The Coles suggestion is a good one. If you have a handbag, just put what is not ordinarily allowed in under a scarf and then put everything else on top. They only do a spot check usually (but probably best to enter 10min or so before the game). I don't take anything in and have never been stopped. I just walk straight in.

I remember once years ago I was with friends and we had ~10-15 cans of coke zero in a bag (not realising the rules). The security guard was actually really good about it and said I need to take a few but you can keep the rest.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Changed seats this year from downstairs in section 5 to up in the stands. Much better atmosphere.

Welcome to the upper crust. I've lived both and once you go top you will never again drop.

Welcome to the upper crust. I've lived both and once you go top you will never again drop.

It's great, you get a birds eye view of the ground but are still close enough to see the players well. We're right above the bench which is an added bonus.

Changed seats this year from downstairs in section 5 to up in the stands. Much better atmosphere. Haven't explored my surrounds just yet but the peroni and chicken/pork belly burgers sound delicious.

I don't bother buying the food inside very often. Like others have said, its very ordinary. I would cough up a premium price if the offerings were half decent.

The Coles suggestion is a good one. If you have a handbag, just put what is not ordinarily allowed in under a scarf and then put everything else on top. They only do a spot check usually (but probably best to enter 10min or so before the game). I don't take anything in and have never been stopped. I just walk straight in.

I remember once years ago I was with friends and we had ~10-15 cans of coke zero in a bag (not realising the rules). The security guard was actually really good about it and said I need to take a few but you can keep the rest.
Which section? Might take a wander up there at the next game and rethink for next year.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
If my bag check last game is anything to go buy, just carry a baby with you and you could probably take a carton in

Haha, pretty much. "This one's just full of baby stuff". "No worries mate".

I might fill up some baby bottles with white russians next time :p

Used to go the home games in the Bears first season at the Gabba in 94? On the hill under the scoreboard with a new wife, an infant and a dozen Fosters cans underneath the nappies in the bag. The more the world changes, the more it stays the same.:p

If my bag check last game is anything to go buy, just carry a baby with you and you could probably take a carton in
True pretty much everywhere. It took us longer to realise it - a few times they gave proper checks and then stopped once they realised it was baby stuff, so once I started preemptively saying it was baby stuff we just about got waved straight through.

Jul 20, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
True pretty much everywhere. It took us longer to realise it - a few times they gave proper checks and then stopped once they realised it was baby stuff, so once I started preemptively saying it was baby stuff we just about got waved straight through.

I had a 4 year old in tow and had his drink bottle in my hand which had a stubby holder around it. No questions asked; come on through sir.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Haha, pretty much. "This one's just full of baby stuff". "No worries mate".

I might fill up some baby bottles with white russians next time :p

Amateurs!!
They never query the size of the kid's head. Just chuck a bunny rug on and we're good to go.

41cm-font-b-Baby-b-font-Reborn-font-b-Dolls-b-font-font-b-Silicone-b.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back