The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought I knew every Abba song...but that one I haven't heard before! Another beautifully sung song. Still love their music.
I was in love with-
article-2292453-0C6A9B45000005DC-976_634x602.jpg

A superficial upgrade that will be ok but certainly won't "ensure that the Gabba stadium is re-elevated to the number one cricket and AFL stadium in the world" as the minister says. It's really just about trying to bolster the rather flimsy business case for cross river rail.

"ensure that the Gabba stadium is re-elevated to the number one cricket and AFL stadium in the world"

Re-elevated umplies that it once was ... when was the Gabba ever considered higher in the pecking order than the MCG? Of course if they are including over 100,000 seats...

Re-elevated umplies that it once was ... when was the Gabba ever considered higher in the pecking order than the MCG? Of course if they are including over 100,000 seats...
The polling was done with a sample size of one - Kevin Mitchell Jnr.

It's just a fancy front door really with no real upgrades within the stadium for the viewer. As others have stated it is just to build up the cross river rail project. I'm blasé about it honestly.

Lmao. The second picture in that article. Is it a planning thing to make it look like you got your 4 year old to draw the centre square?

The final pic shows a men-only bar overlooking a rugby field.

Capture_zpshcbgm4jx.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The final pic shows a men-only bar overlooking a rugby field.

Capture_zpshcbgm4jx.png
Given how much fall there is on the surface between the centre wicket out to the boundary fence, I couldn't think of anything worse than a 'field level bar' at the Gabba.

It's just a fancy front door really with no real upgrades within the stadium for the viewer. As others have stated it is just to build up the cross river rail project. I'm blasé about it honestly.

Even if that’s all it is, it’s worrh doing. It has to be one of the least appealing sporting precincts in the country.

It still will be better, would be nice not to wait to cross that road straight after the game to get the 8MP bus and/or one less major crossing to South Bank Station (which will be rendered obsolete once CRR is done anyway)

It's really just about trying to bolster the rather flimsy business case for cross river rail.

There's nothing flimsy about it. CRR has been needed for a while. It's ridiculous that in this day and age, all our rail traffic across the river goes through one bridge until you get to Indooropilly. Rail services are already screwed up enough as is without the bridge reaching its capacity too, which will happen if an alternative river crossing isn't built.

On top of that it allows a station at the Gabba, turning Park Road into probably the main interchange for the Southside, a station in the east of the CBD, Roma St being sent underground allowing a new entertainment centre to be built on top (Boondall is really showing its age right now) and actually using the Ekka line for more than two weeks a year which is a bit of a waste currently.

Can't even keep the lights on for a whole big bash game
What I particularly liked was when the lights on one tower lit up immediately after the game had been called off. There was a moment there where you were wondering whether someone had just put the plug back in the socket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back