The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Desperately needs an overhaul / upgrade. Hopefully once we win a few more games crowds return. Was an awesome place to be back in the early - mid 2000s with full houses every Saturday night

Desperately needs an overhaul / upgrade. Hopefully once we win a few more games crowds return. Was an awesome place to be back in the early - mid 2000s with full houses every Saturday night

I think the upgrades will be apart of the Cross Rigel rail this is what their looking at doing.

https://brisbanedevelopment.com/major-redevelopment-flagged-for-the-gabba/

I remember back in the premiership year Brisbane had close to 30 thousand members home games the crowds were in the high 20 thousand few games got over 30 thousand. When they played Collingwood and Essendon at The Gabba got over 35 thousand.

The crowds were so big back then because a lot were bandwagon fans than took off once the team wasn’t doing well. Lions start moving up the ladder playing Finals footy again they’ll start again bigger crowds.

AFL making a play to take control of the Gabba
Andrew Hamilton, The Courier-Mail
March 6, 2019 9:06pm
Subscriber only
The AFL is among a handful of organisations hovering to rip control of the Gabba from Stadiums Queensland.
The under-siege state agency’s 18-year grip on the Gabba is now tenuous as the Palaszczuk Government debates a recommendation from last year’s Stadiums Taskforce report to open the management rights up to tender.
The AFL have recently taken control of Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium, which is home to AFL clubs Essendon, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and Carlton.
The venue hosts Renegade and Stars BBL matches as well as soccer, rugby league and rugby union matches.
The league wants control of the Gabba and Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast and make them profitable.
This would lead to reduced operating costs for Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns.
The AFL head of infrastructure and investment Ray Gunston did not return calls to The Courier-Mail on Wednesday night.
f50a3ba12eb4c7fad6d4a4fad0aa38ff
The AFL wants to take control of the Gabba.
Suncorp Stadium managers AEG Ogden, who have a portfolio of 16 venues across the Asia Pacific region and Venues Live — who won the management rights of Perth’s new Optus Stadium to add to contracts at Sydney Olympic Park and the new Parramatta Stadium — have also been touted by industry insiders as likely to enter the tender process.
It is understood Cricket Australia is looking to enter the stadium management game but will not compete this time round.
The Courier-Mail lifted the lid on price gouging and antiquated management practices at SQ last year which led to an independent report being commissioned and eventually the sacking of the board.
9b1132f8def113d8e5f7b7d5f0e3699d
The AFL owns Marvel Stadium in Melbourne.
The report, authored by independent administrator John Lee, determined that while there was no need for new stadiums to be built in Queensland, the Gabba had a working life of 11 years if there were not major upgrades undertaken.
RELATED CONTENT
ae1b9d340bd179ff3b48552fc5427575

Smoke peace pipe or risk Origin downfall
Smoke peace pipe or risk Origin downfall

95d648670bcc2db05c20f9df258e51f7

Titans plan attack of fire and Brimson
Titans plan attack of fire and Brimson

similars

He recommended the Government sell the naming rights to the venue to help offset the costs of upgrades and explore the possibility of outsourcing its management.
Sports minister Mick de Brenni was not available to answer questions last night but his office provided a statement that confirmed the process of determining the cost effectiveness of tendering for private managers at the Gabba was “well underway.”
In his preliminary review tabled in July last year, Lee suggested the Gabba was under-utilised and more could be done to lure international acts and major events.

Anyone know the story behind the rubgy/league field in the photo in that article? From the AAPT signage on the scoreboard it must have been a few years ago now. I don't remember the game.

its a union field. in 01 and 02 the wallabies played two tests there. British lions and i think the other was the springboks but i could be wrong on that.

Wouldn't mind the AFL running the joint if it cost the Lions less.

Would laugh if the rent for the Gabba finally went down after we just secured funding for our own facilities

Would laugh if the rent for the Gabba finally went down after we just secured funding for our own facilities

That whole side of the gabba is going to get completely rebuilt as part of the cross river rail project so we were out of there from an admin and training facility POV anyway. Now we just dont have to be nomads. But certainly our game day profits increasing would be extremely handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL were to get ownership, the first thing they need to do is rip up the centre square , hopefully in front of Kevin Mitchell jnr and Robert Craddock.

It's almost a pity Kevin is no longer there. It would be wonderful if the AFL took it over and Kevin was the one that had to remove his precious pitch.

G'day, hopefully this is the right place for this.

I've just bought tickets to the Eagles game and we'll be coming up from the GC on the train. The tix say free public transport for 'city network' trains but I'm not sure if that applies to trains coming from the GC or not. Hoping someone is more in the know - it's been a few years since I've been to the Gabba and I forgot what I did last time!

Cheers :)

That whole side of the gabba is going to get completely rebuilt as part of the cross river rail project so we were out of there from an admin and training facility POV anyway. Now we just dont have to be nomads. But certainly our game day profits increasing would be extremely handy.
We are a chance to get lower rental under the AFL's control but if Ogden or another private tenderer wins then you would reckon the chances of that are slim to non-existent.

Losing the Gabba wicket would be a tremendous loss for Australian cricket. Having already lost the WACA (not to mention lifeless drop ins at Adelaide and the MCG as well), losing the Gabba wicket would certainly relegate test cricket to the sporting wasteland in Australia, and probably be the death knell of all remaining flickers of what’s left of a great Australian pastime that transcends the classes. It would be terribly sad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back