The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing the Gabba wicket would be a tremendous loss for Australian cricket. Having already lost the WACA (not to mention lifeless drop ins at Adelaide and the MCG as well), losing the Gabba wicket would certainly relegate test cricket to the sporting wasteland in Australia, and probably be the death knell of all remaining flickers of what’s left of a great Australian pastime that transcends the classes. It would be terribly sad.

I don't see how the gabba changing to a drop in what be the death knell of test cricket in and of itself. We already got skipped for a test last year and everywhere else in the country now has drop-ins.

Losing the Gabba wicket would be a tremendous loss for Australian cricket. Having already lost the WACA (not to mention lifeless drop ins at Adelaide and the MCG as well), losing the Gabba wicket would certainly relegate test cricket to the sporting wasteland in Australia, and probably be the death knell of all remaining flickers of what’s left of a great Australian pastime that transcends the classes. It would be terribly sad.
I believe Cricket is slowly dying in Australia. Not as fast as Rugby Union, but it's certainly doesn't appear as popular as it was in the 80's and 90's.

Whilst I agree its ideal to retain characteristics of the decks around Australia, the interesting test will be the Optus Oval drop ins. A tremendous amount of research has gone into retaining the 'character' of the WACA deck at Optus. For mine its been a far superior deck to what the WACA has produced for the last 10 years. Also the MCG is doing a complete overhaul of their drop ins to utilize the same technology as used at Optus, as they have conceded their current set up is far outdated.

I still get a chuckle at the fallacy trotted out by all and sundry on the WACA being fast and bouncy. Its been bang on average for over a decade, nothing like its hey day of the 90's.

I believe Cricket is slowly dying in Australia. Not as fast as Rugby Union, but it's certainly doesn't appear as popular as it was in the 80's and 90's.

The Big Bash. Women's cricket. Test cricket, certainly, is on the wane but overall the game appears to be healthy.

Pretty sure this is still the current state of play, but it had been established in the past that it was not possible to install a drop-in-pitch at the Gabba due to access constraints. It's possible that the science of drop-in pitches has changed/will change, but up until recently the equipment need for installation can't get through the vehicular access points on either side of the ground. If that is (still) the case then any discussion is moot. That could have been propoganda I suppose.

I'm not really sure why people keep banging on about this - we haven't seen any injuries in recent time to indicate this is an issue. The issue back when was predominantly regarding ruckmen, but the change in ruck rules at centre bounces seems to have resulted in a reduction in those kinds of injuries. Yes, it's a pain not to be able to be able to train using the whole field, but we only train there once these days before home games whereas once upon a time it was more like 2-3 times a week.

first time heading to the gabba sat night, not a brissy or WC fan, just up for work and looking at something to do.
is it easy enough to grab some general admission tickets at the gate normally??

Gabba have a nice habit of saying it's sold out and making you buy top of the range seats.

I think the issue is that they give out a lot of free general admission tickets at local footy clubs etc that aren't used, but they factor them into the ticket allocation regardless.

first time heading to the gabba sat night, not a brissy or WC fan, just up for work and looking at something to do.
is it easy enough to grab some general admission tickets at the gate normally??

Unless you love waiting for an hour in line, buy tickets and print them before you get there. There are about 12 windows selling tickets pre game around the Gabba so that's 12 people at a time. The lineups get big

Unless you love waiting for an hour in line, buy tickets and print them before you get there. There are about 12 windows selling tickets pre game around the Gabba so that's 12 people at a time. The lineups get big

That is a good practice regardless of ground. Went to a game at Docklands in 2016 vs Essendon and the line for tickets was so long that I didn't get in until just before half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potential Australian 2032 Olympic bid receives praise

A new stadium would likely have to be constructed for the bid to succeed but it would not have to have an 80,000-seat capacity, Coates confirmed.
"The maximum is 60,000, that's what's been provided in Tokyo, that's what London provided," he said.

"And that could be a stadium that could reduce to a lesser amount afterwards, depending on what the legacy is going to be - no requirement for 80,000."
Queensland's desire to host the Games increased after the Gold Coast's successful staging of the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

The Gabba, which is situated in Brisbane, had been identified as a potential Olympic Stadium but Coates conceded it would need significant work to be able to do so.

"I think there'll be something developed for athletics and the ceremonies, there is an option with the Gabba," he said.

"But probably, I think, a new stadium has to be prepared, but similar to the way that it was done with London, it could reduce to something afterwards.
"The days of 80,000, the days of 115,000 for Sydney is not required."

Source: ESPN

We are locked in to a contract to play at the Gabba for around another 20yrs I think from memory.
The Gabba is barely big enough now, if we can have a sustained period of success, there is no way it will be big enough.
So I hope it is the Gabba that gets re-done.
Optus stadium seats around 60k so that would be fantastic!

Anyone know if the section that is to be rebuilt to connect with cross river going to be a knock down and rebuild or just some cosmetic changes? Would be nice for a knock down and rebuild and maybe a third tier on that side. The higher you go the bigger the curve the larger the capacity.

I must admit I was a fanatic when I was young, barely registers much interest these days. The main issue is during the Australian summer, I work from 9-6pm most days - so miss 80% of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back