The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

I must admit I was a fanatic when I was young, barely registers much interest these days. The main issue is during the Australian summer, I work from 9-6pm most days - so miss 80% of it.

Are you me???

It's actually part of why I do like T20s and think ODIs need to quietly die. Being able to see a whole game after work is awesome.

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
Potential Australian 2032 Olympic bid receives praise

A new stadium would likely have to be constructed for the bid to succeed but it would not have to have an 80,000-seat capacity, Coates confirmed.
"The maximum is 60,000, that's what's been provided in Tokyo, that's what London provided," he said.

London stadium had an 80,000 capacity for the games. Why are suits compelled to lie about everything?

I don't think you'd be able to put a stadium that size with the facilities needed at the gabba tbh. Even if you put Stanley and Vulture and Main st all underground, there are too many high rise buildings that would butt right up against it.

TBH the cleanest outcome would be to put one either in the new parklands they're going to develop on the site of the victoria park golf course, or given they're turning that into a massive parkland then you could easily justify building one at the roma st parklands, especially if you're going to build an indoor venue there over the top of the railroad to replace the entertainment centre. That sort of area for an olympics would be ideal, indoor stadium for basketball etc, the main oval stadium and then the rectangle one for the soccer etc as well, all in one big precinct with direct rail and bus access which would all be completely rebuilt from the ground up to be one massive multi use precinct. That would be what i would look at if I was the government but it would be a lot of political work to be done to take cricket away from the gabba thats for sure. You'd have to go drop in pitch at the new venue which wouldn't be super popular but if you developed Allan Border field (including taking some space off albion park raceway) some more to be that small test nation and shield venue etc then you could make it work.

Thats what I would be looking at to Master plan if i were the state govt. It gives you Cricket, AFL, Rugby league, union and soccer all in one spot as well as a bullets and a indoor concert venue thats not in the middle of nowhere. It makes the build up of that area with venues to cater for it extremely viable because in winter and summer there's likely an event on every night of the weekend. It also means that you don't have to shift cricket and AFL while you tear down and rebuild a whole venue when really you don't have anywhere else suitable to relocate those sports for the best part of 3-4 years while a project of that magnitude takes place.

You then turn the gabba into a public park space area to balance out the roma st area loss as well as extending the school that's there which is massively short of room. Shifts some of your public inner city space from the north to southside as well to balance the current imbalance of large park spaces out.

The roma st area probably saves you a bit on construction costs as well because its on a massive hill. Essentially you just build one side of the grandstand and areas into the hillside itself.

Anyway just a thought.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Wonder how much our rates and taxes will go up to cover such expenses.

We’re talking billions of dollars here for such proposals.

The money isn’t going to come from existing revenue.

If the government own the Gabba, and Suncorp, and Boondal, might need to sell those properties to raise revenue for a new stadium.

Albi_Mangler

All Australian
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo
Building these monolithic stadiums is flat our ridiculous imo. Building for a single event rather than for frequent full capacity is the common sense approach to new sporting venues. But no bigger is better and all those zeros in $ and crowd numbers just make the political announcements more juicier.

The trend should be towards more boutique size grounds, improving the spectator experience as more fans opt for the comfort of their home than to attend games, especially in fair weather supporting cities like Brisbane. FFS it wasn't that long ago we were getting well under 20k for games, roar/reds well under 20k now, broncos rarely at capacity and the cricket only really sells out for Ashes and the occasional T20 nowadays.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
If the Gabba was used for the olympics, or upgraded for a larger capacity, then you’d have to get rid of the school. That’s not really a bad thing imo, saves those kids from breathing in fumes all day long.

If the Gabba was used for the olympics, or upgraded for a larger capacity, then you’d have to get rid of the school. That’s not really a bad thing imo, saves those kids from breathing in fumes all day long.

Yeah that's not happening, number of buildings there are listed as well as being the only school in the area, which the education dept are required by legislation to maintain, otherwise they'd be in breach of school zoning and distance laws.

Wonder how much our rates and taxes will go up to cover such expenses.

We’re talking billions of dollars here for such proposals.

The money isn’t going to come from existing revenue.

If the government own the Gabba, and Suncorp, and Boondal, might need to sell those properties to raise revenue for a new stadium.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah that's not happening, number of buildings there are listed as well as being the only school in the area, which the education dept are required by legislation to maintain, otherwise they'd be in breach of school zoning and distance laws.
I was wondering if the school could be moved closer to Norman Creek to accommodate expansion, but there's no point if the buildings are heritage listed. Maybe the government are indeed better off moving the stadium to Victoria Park or Roma St, but I'm not sure if they'll agree to that given the size of their investment in Cross River Rail.

flat_eric

Debutant
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think you'd be able to put a stadium that size with the facilities needed at the gabba tbh. Even if you put Stanley and Vulture and Main st all underground, there are too many high rise buildings that would butt right up against it.

TBH the cleanest outcome would be to put one either in the new parklands they're going to develop on the site of the victoria park golf course, or given they're turning that into a massive parkland then you could easily justify building one at the roma st parklands, especially if you're going to build an indoor venue there over the top of the railroad to replace the entertainment centre. That sort of area for an olympics would be ideal, indoor stadium for basketball etc, the main oval stadium and then the rectangle one for the soccer etc as well, all in one big precinct with direct rail and bus access which would all be completely rebuilt from the ground up to be one massive multi use precinct. That would be what i would look at if I was the government but it would be a lot of political work to be done to take cricket away from the gabba thats for sure. You'd have to go drop in pitch at the new venue which wouldn't be super popular but if you developed Allan Border field (including taking some space off albion park raceway) some more to be that small test nation and shield venue etc then you could make it work.

Thats what I would be looking at to Master plan if i were the state govt. It gives you Cricket, AFL, Rugby league, union and soccer all in one spot as well as a bullets and a indoor concert venue thats not in the middle of nowhere. It makes the build up of that area with venues to cater for it extremely viable because in winter and summer there's likely an event on every night of the weekend. It also means that you don't have to shift cricket and AFL while you tear down and rebuild a whole venue when really you don't have anywhere else suitable to relocate those sports for the best part of 3-4 years while a project of that magnitude takes place.

You then turn the gabba into a public park space area to balance out the roma st area loss as well as extending the school that's there which is massively short of room. Shifts some of your public inner city space from the north to southside as well to balance the current imbalance of large park spaces out.

The roma st area probably saves you a bit on construction costs as well because its on a massive hill. Essentially you just build one side of the grandstand and areas into the hillside itself.

Anyway just a thought.

As great as it would be to have our own own sporting precinct around Roma Street, the loss of already limited inner city parkland for a new stadium would probably be hard to justify.

If the SEQ bid got up and the decision was made to build a new stadium, I think the frontrunner site would have to be on top of the Mayne Railyards in Albion.

My preference would be to renovate the Gabba given its historical significance as the spiritual home of AFL and cricket in Qld. But the site constraints may be too difficult to overcome.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As great as it would be to have our own own sporting precinct around Roma Street, the loss of already limited inner city parkland for a new stadium would probably be hard to justify.

If the SEQ bid got up and the decision was made to build a new stadium, I think the frontrunner site would have to be on top of the Mayne Railyards in Albion.

My preference would be to renovate the Gabba given its historical significance as the spiritual home of AFL and cricket in Qld. But the site constraints may be too difficult to overcome.

If only consider it a possibility given the transformation of Vic Park golf course given its going to be so much bigger and the transformation of the current Gabba site into parkland

How freaking good has the field looked in the past few weeks? So lush! Massive kudos to the new gardener, the best thing for the ground was for Kevin to retire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back