The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

The current/completed redevelopment of the Gabba has been completed. This work was financed buy a 'consortium' if you will, of the QLD Cricketers Club, The Lions, The Gabba Trust, and the Qld State Government.

However, the final stage of Development, being the upgrade of where the social club is, is a sore point at the moment.

The Lions have been told (so I believe) that it will be done at the 'lion's' expense - a cost of around 14 million to finish the total redevelopment of the ground. A cost which is a little to high for the Lions to wear on their own.

Sorry but this situation pisses me off - the Qld Cricketers Club got 'relocated' into the new stand, as did 'the trust' - but the Lions have to pay all on their own to redevelop "their" part of the ground??????

The Lions bring in more revenue to the ground than cricket does, play more games there than cricket does......yet are still thought of as the 'secondary' tennants!!!!

Struth, had their been no AFL team (ie lions or bears) over the last 7years playing from the Gabba, would the rest of re-development have ever taken place??? I don't think so!!

Danni.. how many games of footy at the Gabba this year? Perhaps 13 plus whatever finals, maybe 2 if the Lions are so lucky!! Total 15.
This current cricket season will see a total of 12 games being played at the Gabba with a possibility of another 2 if the Bulls make the Mercantile Mutual Cup and the Pura Milk Cup Final.
If you count up the number of days duration for each game the total would be around 25 days and 30 if the finals eventuate.
The cost for entry to the games of football, whether members of the Lions, or just roll up, compared to the cost of the cricket is debatable as to which sport would draw the most revenue, through corporate sponsorship, sale of corporate boxes etc etc. it would be very interesting to get those figures wouldn't it?
Just an interesting view from someone who loves both cricket and foot ball.
Plus don't forget the membership numbers of the Gabba Trust and their contributions.

[This message has been edited by curator (edited 13 January 2001).]

Curator - I most certainly haven't forgotten the contributions of the Trust members, in fact I mentioned that in the first sentence of the post I made, ie how the Lions, QCC and Trust along with the State Government funded the major redevelopments thus far.

I should however recant my comments about the Lions being the 'second' tennant of the ground. After recieving an email bringing to my attention a few articles from the newspapers and the Lions Tale and the QCC newletter, the Lions have actually been elevated to "Primary" tennant status of the Gabba, due to revenue income. So that probably on face value means the Lions bring more income to the ground than the cricket, and taking into account the rent hike for the Lions, it has more than likely been reflected in that increase.

I still do find it 'crappy' (if you will) that the Lions have been asked to fund the final stage themselves, which is not financially viable for the Club, and also that the other tennants, mainly being the QCC, were funded for their redevelopment and relocation costs of time, along with the 'loss of revenue' compensation for the time they were located 'away' from the Gabba.

The Lions did also recieve some compensation for the loss of revenue to the social club during renovations, but as it would seem from the restructure of the social club operations a few months ago, it was not adequate.

If what Joshem has said is correct - then I personally welcome it with open arms. To me that would be alot fairer.

ps - it would also mean that we should get the triple header this year....Lions on Friday night, Aus vs Eng Rugby on Saturday night, and State of Origin Rugby League on Sunday night. That would be another facet to 'show off' the stadium and increase the profile of AFL in QLD. Anyone that has been to Rugby League at ANZ, then comes to the Gabba for the first time will be very impressed in the differences of the viewing arenas. And in the fickle QLD sports world, that can make all the difference to some.

Listening to the TV commentary on the cricket last night, I couldn't help but get peeved at Ian Healy's comment that the Gabba was redeveloped for "the Olympic soccer and the cricket". Onya Channel 9, hope those anti-AFL blinkers are off by the time you actually cover the sport next year!
mad.gif

Healy is a Queenslander - one of those who only drink XXXX and feel at home with their heads up someone elses rear end in a scrum. Thank god more of those refined characters from (far) south of the border are moving up here and bringing their love of 'footy' with them. We will prevail!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back