Analysis "The game has changed" - 2022 Strategy Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

"but I think it's more indicative of the role he's asked to play." bingo
all those single figure disposals in our losses , are the oppo sides putting work into him to stop his I50's or in those games is he playing more of a stopping role ???
Could be either, but if we're continually losing the hitouts and his position is as that defensive mid then he's not getting the opportunity of spreading and getting his hands on the ball, this is noticeable in some of our losses where he's had high tackle numbers. As #RunningBounce said "more a 'see ball carrier, get ball carrier'" type of role.

Would be handy to see who was the ruck in those wins and how many hitouts to advantage they had as opposed to the losses. One good thing though is that we should have a much better ruck setup next year (injuries aside) that might let him use those skills (delivering i50) to a much more consistent level.

In an article by Sarah Black.........

Richmond's best 22 looks remarkably similar to the premiership team of 2020, it's just a matter of getting them all on the park at the same time. Recruit Robbie Tarrant comes in for the retired David Astbury, while Daniel Rioli had already switched to defence to cover for Bachar Houli. Fan favourite Ivan Soldo will return from a year out with a torn ACL, which ultimately pushes out Marlion Pickett, with the likes of Jack Graham, Jason Castagna, Liam Baker and Sydney Stack all capable of rotating on the wing. Noah Balta and Nathan Broad make a welcome return to defence after bad syndesmosis injuries, while it's fingers crossed injury-prone duo Dion Prestia and Trent Cotchin have smooth pre-seasons. Superstar Dustin Martin is making slow but steady progress after a lacerated kidney but is expected to complete a normal pre-season, despite having lost several kilograms during his recovery. Mabior Chol and Callum Coleman-Jones have left the club, but didn't have regular senior spots. Josh Caddy needs a strong pre-season to force his way back into the 22. – Sarah Black

B: Robbie Tarrant, Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta
HB: Nick Vlastuin, Nathan Broad, Jayden Short
C: Kamdyn McIntosh, Dion Prestia, Jack Graham
HF: Jason Castagna, Dustin Martin, Kane Lambert
F: Jack Riewoldt, Tom Lynch, Shai Bolton
Foll: Ivan Soldo, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards
I/C: Toby Nankervis, Liam Baker, Daniel Rioli, Sydney Stack

Emerg: Marlion Pickett, Jack Ross, Matthew Parker, Thomson Dow

Essentially the same team that won the flag less than 12 months ago (357 days to be exact)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back