"The game we fell in love with is being taken away"

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yesterday there were two very honest assessments in the media rejecting the AFL's current administration, accusing corruption, and exposing a corporate agenda.

The first is a two minute rant from Mick Warner on 3AW calling the AFL corrupt:

(listen here)

https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-is-football/bang-mick-warner-says-the-game-we-fell-in-love-wit

The second, a piece in the Herald Sun from Titus OReily, entitled "AFL's money monster strikes again":

"The AFL’s Minister for Terrible Ideas, Steve Hocking, has announced the wildcard round is back on the competition’s agenda. For those of you unaware, a wildcard game is when teams that just made the finals play teams that just missed out in an elimination game. It’s big in America, hence the AFL is all giddy about it. The AFL’s proposal is to have seventh play tenth and eighth play ninth in the current bye week before the finals, with the winner going through into the finals proper. Just what an already too long season needs, more games. So why would anyone want to do this? There are three reasons, and the first is money. The AFL loves money like the Cookie Monster loves cookies. In fact, there were banking executives at the Royal Commission who didn’t lust after money as much the AFL"

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...Sun&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_content=SocialFlow

1559342700284.png

Poor Mick Warner sounds sad and worked up. Don’t share his concern especially about the “American” mid season draft given the AFL ran one in the past 1990-93. Also back in VFL days there were different iterations of list management mid season. Easy to bang on list outrages without ever discussing the evidence. His rant was inflammatory rubbish

Yesterday there were two very honest assessments in the media rejecting the AFL's current administration, accusing corruption, and exposing a corporate agenda.

The first is a two minute rant from Mick Warner on 3AW calling the AFL corrupt:

(listen here)

https://omny.fm/shows/3aw-is-football/bang-mick-warner-says-the-game-we-fell-in-love-wit

The second, a piece in the Herald Sun from Titus OReily, entitled "AFL's money monster strikes again":

"The AFL’s Minister for Terrible Ideas, Steve Hocking, has announced the wildcard round is back on the competition’s agenda. For those of you unaware, a wildcard game is when teams that just made the finals play teams that just missed out in an elimination game. It’s big in America, hence the AFL is all giddy about it. The AFL’s proposal is to have seventh play tenth and eighth play ninth in the current bye week before the finals, with the winner going through into the finals proper. Just what an already too long season needs, more games. So why would anyone want to do this? There are three reasons, and the first is money. The AFL loves money like the Cookie Monster loves cookies. In fact, there were banking executives at the Royal Commission who didn’t lust after money as much the AFL"

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...Sun&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_content=SocialFlow

View attachment 684212
Geeze next you'll be espousing how globalism, feminism and the destruction of family and men is destroying the fabric of Western Society:rolleyes:
It's just progressive economic vision dude and everyone is better for it, including the AFL. It'll all trickle down to you, just as it has throughout all these economic models. Get with the times mate!

A agree. Terrible administration. There’s little doubt the game seems to have lost its direction since both Dimi and then Gil commenced running the show.

It’s unfortunate the actual ‘life’ of the AFL is handcuffed and all we can is sit and watch Gil now tearing it apart until he decides to move on.

I don't mind the idea of a wildcard round as it would give us an extra couple of games over the stupid bye round before the finals and give more teams something to play for towards the end of the season.

It's the constantly changing rules and inconsistent umpiring that are the main issues with the current AFL administration, it's a blight on the game.

I love the game so please everybody listen to me. The current situation isn't as good as it used to be. It's the real fans who suffer. We can restore the game to its former glory by doing nothing specific.

I don't mind the idea of a wildcard round as it would give us an extra couple of games over the stupid bye round before the finals and give more teams something to play for towards the end of the season.

It's the constantly changing rules and inconsistent umpiring that are the main issues with the current AFL administration, it's a blight on the game.
Or

They could just remove the bye round :eek:

The good old days of standing room, uncovered areas, muddy grounds and a broke VFL.

There were good times too, but not everything then was good and everything now is bad.
I would take a suburban afternoon game anyday than the soulless and cold Marvel stadium....uncovered and muddy grounds, standing room...That was the appeal and that's what football was all about! Going to the football was an adventure, rain hail or shine! It's a precious society we live in these days, FFS the commentators were complaining that the roof was left open for a few hours before the North V Richmond game on a rainy day in Melbourne.... I fell out of love a long time ago!

Getting uptight about mid season drafts & trading isn't the right target Mickey Boy as those couple of things can actually help the product we sit down to watch on weekends. & god knows, help is needed.

As for the rest of the rant, yes most will agree with you the AFL is at its core just a money making machine for the select few to suckle from, the game is a secondary concern, it doesnt matter how the money is made, just that it is made. Same as with FIFA, NFL, EPL, & the list goes on & on. This is just the world we live in. We either turn off or we watch. It's our choice.

The coaches are the ones that have taken away the game we love and turned it into a rolling maul and zones of defensive footy.
I do not think we can blame them for exploiting the stupid change of game to turn two players on interchange into a rotation system of 4 players red lining off and 4 freshest players on nearly 100 times a game to keep the territory invasion of play in vogue that congests it most of the 120 minutes. That is the rule makers fault. back to the AFL... they still not fixed and they now got lowest scoring season in over 50 years. Well done AFL on keeping a rotation system that did not exist when was far more of a spectacle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn't the idea of a bye round to prevent/reduce resting of players late in the season? All of a sudden side that is sandwiched in 8th does it in round 23 anyway.

It's a 22 game season with 18 teams. If you are not at least in the top 50% of teams after 22 games, you should not be rewarded for an extra week.

I do not think we can blame them for exploiting the stupid change of game to turn two players on interchange into a rotation system of 4 players red lining off and 4 freshest players on nearly 100 times a game to keep the territory invasion of play in vogue that congests it most of the 120 minutes. That is the rule makers fault. back to the AFL... they still not fixed and they now got lowest scoring season in over 50 years. Well done AFL on keeping a rotation system that did not exist when was far more of a spectacle.

If the players were more fatigued, they would only close it down even more.

When teams are out on their feet, watch what they do. The ruckman tries to hit it to his own toes, increasing the likelihood of another stoppage. They go long down the line, increasing the likelihood of it going out of bounds. All these defensive tactics are seen late in quarters, when teams are fatiguing, they go into negative football and put numbers around the contest and ensure they get repeat stoppages. Repeat stoppages are the least energy exerting part of football. A running clearance is way more effort - both teams have to sprint in the direction of the ball.

The biggest myth in football is that rapid interchanges and fresh players promotes rolling mauls and congestion. Absolutely disagree.

You know what fresh teams do? They run, they spread, they rebound, they create space. Fresh teams do not lock down and cause stoppages.

Third man up rule being brought back in would allow more clearing hitouts. Also gives less seconds while choosing ruckmen for numbers to get in the immediate vicinity of the stoppage.

I haven't heard indiscriminate defence about the 6-6-6 rule from C7 commentators for a couple of weeks now. For the first 2 months of the season it was almost as if they were on commission - an extra percent of revenue everytime they could mention how awesome 6-6-6 is.

Now, with much the same issues as last year, and games such as Adelaide/Fremantle, Hawthorn/Port, Essendon/Richmond, Melbourne/GWS, St Kilda/Carlton, Essendon/Fremantle, Hawthorn/GWS all in recent weeks, it seems to have dropped off. 6-6-6 Isn't the answer.

I haven't heard indiscriminate defence about the 6-6-6 rule from C7 commentators for a couple of weeks now. For the first 2 months of the season it was almost as if they were on commission - an extra percent of revenue everytime they could mention how awesome 6-6-6 is.

Now, with much the same issues as last year, and games such as Adelaide/Fremantle, Hawthorn/Port, Essendon/Richmond, Melbourne/GWS, St Kilda/Carlton, Essendon/Fremantle, Hawthorn/GWS all in recent weeks, it seems to have dropped off. 6-6-6 Isn't the answer.

6-6-6 has been great. It has opened the game up at the margins following centre bounces and has led to more exciting finishes. It has done its job

Only really really stupid people ever thought it was about opening the game up more generally. Really stupid people

The coaches were the ones that kept pushing for extra interchange.

Wonder what mick would be saying about the league 30 years ago who were trying to kill off the Victorian clubs or either trying to merge them or relocate them. The blokes just a crisis merchant, can’t remember the last positive thing he’s ever said.

The coaches were the ones that kept pushing for extra interchange.

Agreed. But the AFL are the idiots that did it. Back to AFL as rule makers and custodians to take control to fix. Coaches job is not to fix it, their only job is get wins and not responsible for the spectacle to watch.

Last edited:
i do find it difficult to watch neutral games these days, which is unfortunate. i dont mind myself able to watch multiple games in a row on a saturday, which i used to love doing. personally, i feel a lot of the fun has been taken out of the sport, with everything being so meticulous about everything.

i will still never understand too the belief that tired players = better games. as said, how are buggered players meant to run and spread?

Agreed. But the AFL are the idiots that did it. Back to AFL as rule makers and custodians to take control to fix. Coaches job is not to fix it, their only job is gets wins and not responsible for the spectacle to watch.

Yes but it was the coaches that manipulated the extra players, that they asked for, and turned it into a game of rugby. Yes the AFL have to take some blame but only for giving the coaches what they wanted which is why they should never listen to anything the coaches want, scrap interchange for anyone other than injured players and be done with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back