Autopsy The game we threw away vs Norf - Rd 14, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't watched the game and probably won't get a chance. However I have read here that we had an "off the scale" pressure rating of 313. Not much other commentary on it though.

I'm intrigued. Can anyone expand on it?

How did we achieve that? What did it look like? Which players were mainly responsible? Did it fall away in the fourth qtr?

Why did it suddenly manifest itself this week? Is it reasonable to expect we can do it again each week?

I think consistent pressure is indispensable and a critical success factor in winning any game of footy. It's been missing at times this year, so I was very pleased to hear about this.
The pressure wasn't so much a noticeable thing like insane tackles and such as you may expect, but rather seeing a familiar sight, it was an energy level you can just feel the moment the ball was bounced. And it wasn't just when North had the ball, our movement with the ball was above and beyond what we have show this year. We suddenly had talls taking marks and players running left and right. My head exploded when we suddenly had Schache running to the wing like riewolt and taking strong marks to give us that solid posession across the field. As opposed to the usual, we get the ball at half back and you see players just strolling around, no one opening up and we can't move forward.

We also played more through the middle with short kicks. It was messy and their were still plenty of shocker but they kept running and tackling, and were rewarded with goals as oppose to points.

as to why now... could be anger, frustration, a bunch of kids desperate to take their chance and steal a spot, a couple guys playing season bests lifting the others, Crozier for example was stunning the first hal. But also some positional changes that paid off. So once putting Cordy and Naughton up forward starts paying off, these things can have a knock on effect by giving players confidence. We still made mistakes but Adams and Morris cleaned many of them up with strong marking defensively. It is amazing what can happen when you have confidence your team mate will win any challenge. 2016 is an example of this. A couple desperate tackles that stuck at the right time, or group tackles that raise the tempo of the game by their nature. The little things, then when North started to get on top in the third, we kick inside 50 and out charges big tom boyd and takes a great pack mark and goal , which surprise, surprise sees our mob once again fight back.

Don't think it was any specific message, more a snow balling effect that developed during the game. Much like the sydney games a few years back, they simply come about and you have to take them, because they are the seeds from which beautiful things grow. Which is why Bevo lost it. He would have felt like his kids just had their pocket money pinched and gave it up willingly through lack of understanding of the moment and what this game could have meant to the whole team going foward. That anchor point to reflect on when in doubt, injury riddled and depleted but never out of the game, ala 2016. Just like the game when North came at the Bont, the faux tough guy argy bargy typical north crap went on this game also, again we beat north, physically and mentally, but this time we handed over the points without any real reason to.

A massive opportunity missed and Bevo knew it.

Thanks TLU that helps. Still puzzled as to how our pressure rating was about 50% more than has ever been recorded by any team, given your explanation. Not just up there with the best, but miles past it. That's if I've understood the original comment right.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. Would just like to see the same against Geelong. It could find them out.

I like that Bevo was filthy that we lost the game and let the players know that.

I was unimpressed that he can't maintain his composure with the media when he is angry at the players. There was nothing at all wrong with any of the questions asked by the media - they were respectful and measured and Beveridge was not. His pathetic attempt to imply that the journo was criticising his method of reviewing the last 2 minutes and his chip about not having reviewed the game - only the last 2 minutes - were completely unnecessary and emotionally immature.

Beveridge hasn't coached/managed particularly well since the Premiership. He has made a lot of mistakes and getting the media off-side will be another if he persists with churlish and petulant behaviour. He was a media darling but more performances like last night's will see Damo gain some friends...and Bevo and the club don't need that.

I'm over having to placate and keep the media 'on side, the likes of Barrett, McClure, Morris and Robinson, will write or broadcast whatever they want to.

Enough of us playing nice. The media does us no favours, so bugger it. I'm happy with Angry Bevo.

I'm over having to placate and keep the media 'on side, the likes of Barrett, McClure, Morris and Robinson, will write or broadcast whatever they want to.

Enough of us playing nice. The media does us no favours, so bugger it. I'm happy with Angry Bevo.

Exactly what has the media said about us that is wrong?

Think they have given us a pretty easy run for the sh!t we have served up since 16.

Barrett has a personal issue we all know that but the rest have been more then fair imo

I wouldn’t worry about the media, quite clearly the off season turmoil of last season has had a huge affect on the playing list. Some huge changes are to be coming if what I’m hearing around my circle of mates, it’s going to be ugly.

Apologies in advance if I'm outta line here, but who exactly are your mates?
Simply supporters?
Are they players? If players already know who's out end of year no wonder there's lacklustre performances by some.
If it's officials, what the hell are they letting this stuff out?
Just annoys me these tantalising tidbits that start unfounded rumours and are never backed up with at least some detail.
Had the Stringer one on here the other week which has come to nothing (not that I care about him one way or other these days).
Sorry. Just gets up my gander!!!
I wouldn’t worry about the media, quite clearly the off season turmoil of last season has had a huge affect on the playing list. Some huge changes are to be coming if what I’m hearing around my circle of mates, it’s going to be ugly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Schache would have to go close to having the best disposal skills in the club. Haven't seen him miss a target by hand or foot. And looks damn good while doing it. Seriously impressed by him.

Sweet skills. Never in doubt but exceeded my expectations.

Think he was gassed but some attacks on man and contest were horrible.

Seeing him as a more skilled version of Lynch (Adel). Maybe.

Thanks TLU that helps. Still puzzled as to how our pressure rating was about 50% more than has ever been recorded by any team, given your explanation. Not just up there with the best, but miles past it. That's if I've understood the original comment right.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. Would just like to see the same against Geelong. It could find them out.
I was astounded to hear that stat. During the game I mentioned that we "were in," but not in the Men of Mayhem style. It wasn't manic, combative football. It was high energy, but methodical, patient football. The smothers and intercepts crept back into our game courtesy of Crozier and Adams.

The backline looked really solid for the first time in a long time. A solid foundation to attack from.

I think contested marks might be our barometer. Even more specifically contested marks on the wings. That was something Shache, Adams and Trengove brought to the table last night, I reckon we took more v Norf than all season combined. Each time we manage that it saves a mountain of work in the phone box.

Would cop that though (if he becomes like Lynch).

Think those link up players who can mark on the wing are really underrated

Dissapointed in losing and the mistakes in the last minute were horrendous but there were numerous culprits not just Wallis.

Positives - Naughton is the best Key position prospect since Templeton and yes better than Grant ( not as skilled as Chris but better in the air and his confidence is Carey like) he is up there with Bont as the most important player on the list. Remember he is 18 still and he is a competitive beast. I think we should persist with him as a forward even though he is our best defender

Schache looks very good. His kick to Gowers was centimetre perfect in weighting. Needs some more strength and the effort is improving.

Boyd - once someone teaches him to position is hand correctly for his marks and he improves his fitness he will become a very good player. His second efforts are immense now and his agression has improved ten fold this season. His fitness is the problem. He cannot ruck 80%. Him and ENglish will be a great double team.

Adams also looked great for his first game back.

Negatives - Honeychurch is the worst player I have ever seen. Our skill level is killing us. The senior players cost us big time in the last minute.

I am extremely optimistic. Our depth is poor but the nucleus of a great team is there especially with the pending rule changes. Add some pace and skill and we will see a great team to watch in 2020

Mate. Can you send some of what you are smoking. Love your positive opinion on Naughton. I think he will be very good but if he is better than Chris Grant I will do handstands. Chris is a champion robbed of a Brownlow and more than 300 games most of them quality and the youngest player ever to kick 50 goals.

Yet Dahlhaus goes into games with a known issue and he continues to get potted. If you're going to give one bloke the benefit of the doubt you should give it to others.

Do you know if the knee is a long term thing or not? Reason i ask the question is that for the Bont and now Dahl I have been wondering why they haven't been given a week or two off to get over it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we have gone into games that imo we had no chance of winning (got the North game wrong!) so don't understand why we just don't rest them for a short period. If it is something that requires months recovery then ok I get what bev is doing but if a week would fix it ???????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I a
Mate. Can you send some of what you are smoking. Love your positive opinion on Naughton. I think he will be very good but if he is better than Chris Grant I will do handstands. Chris is a champion robbed of a Brownlow and more than 300 games most of them quality and the youngest player ever to kick 50 goals.

Call me crazy as well but I don’t think this is going to be too far off the mark.

Remember seeing Grant as an 18 yo and thought wow- how good is this kids hands? And then his recovery. But he was a stick insect playing against guys like Stephen Silvagni and he flashed in and out.

Naughton at 18 is taking marks in packs, out bodying opponents and kicking 45 m goals easily. He is a one grab player, never fumbles always gets to right spot. Also seems to have a big spring- watch some of his marks he jumps over the pack!

I’m thinking of what guys like Hogan, Curnow, Daniher, Rance were like at 18. A lot of the weren’t even playing seniors- when the were they were the third forward taking 2 to 3 marks per game but nothing like the impact this kid is having.

Maybe he will flat line over the next 2-3 years but for an 18 yo he is tracking way ahead of nearly ever other kid I can remember.

No problem with his attitude to the players. Don’t really like the attitude to journos personally. Lyon does it a lot and I’ve never liked it much.

Why should the media escape criticism? They criticise Bevo and the club, so if you dish it out, you have to take it.

If I'm a coach and you're telling me how I should do more job, should I just sit there and accept it? Of course not.

Far too many journos now looking to big note themselves, create a headline that's not there or make themselves the centre of the story.

Don't do it every week, but if Bevo believes a crack at one or two or more of them is justified, then go for it.

Do you know if the knee is a long term thing or not? Reason i ask the question is that for the Bont and now Dahl I have been wondering why they haven't been given a week or two off to get over it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we have gone into games that imo we had no chance of winning (got the North game wrong!) so don't understand why we just don't rest them for a short period. If it is something that requires months recovery then ok I get what bev is doing but if a week would fix it ???????

Probably because we are not Melbourne or Carlton and take some pride in our clubs performance.

With these low grade recurring soreness injuries taking a week off probably only means you get a short respite- though I agree the occasional week off isn’t going to hurt our club.

Bloody impressive stuff. Lovely to see we still have it in us. Normally we win the close ones, but let's hope this can galvanise the side. A bloody young team and we took it up to a team that is playing good football with many experienced heads. Happy with that.

He was in our top handful for ground covered for the game, worked very hard so I'll forgive him for looking a little cooked towards the end.

FWIW Zaine Cordy covered more kms than any other Bulldog whenever they flashed the stats up. Just when you thought you couldn't be more happy with his year. Gives us some real mongrel too.

Imagine replacing a Honeychurch in the line-up with a Macrae or Libba.

Was a bummer. Felt like Trengove made the right call in a situation that never should have been forced on him and it just didn’t break our way.
A pity the brilliant efforts of Boyd, Naughton, Richards, Crozier etc weren’t rewarded with a morale boosting win, but as a club we’re better than to drop our heads.
We looked much better with the strength and experience of Adams and Dunkley out there, and a few are really finding their feet but you can’t hide the likes of Honeychurch or Gowers in such a young side. Have some concerns over Wallis, too.
Pleased with how the defensive unit is coming together. Williams is a jet and Crozier has hit his stride at a good time. Can’t rely on Adams and continuity is gold so I’m not sure about Naughton and Cordy forward but they were both superb in their roles tonight.
A few dubious calls throughout but nothing game changing, just another failed experiment (drink). Ben Brown is a bigger bitch than I gave him credit for.
Higgins giving it to the crowd as his kick cannoned into the post was a highlight.
I get the comment about Honeychurch but why the hell would you want to 'hide the likes of Gowers'??
Gowers is fast becoming one of my favourite players - absolutely love his attack on teh ball, getting better with every game as well and has a nose for goal.

Leon is a very angry man.

I’m actually a very easy going guy.

I get along with everyone on this board just fine and am probably considered one of the more level headed posters.

However I have nothing but contempt for every single one of you norf supporters and am more than comfortable with that viewpoint.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back