The game will inevitably transform after the Mackay incident at some stage, so what does that look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watching 360 tonight and understanding that the game will inevitably change at some point, what do you think WILLor could be looked at.

Btw if Brownie reads Bigfooty, I wanna have a beer with you.

I say this because King is right in one thing he said, and thst is if we do not evolve the game, parents won't have their kids playing footy in 10 years time and the cost to the game will be greater than doing something in the short term.

I am thinking this:

Reduce teams to 16 and or zone up the field to promote one on one contests which should eliminate many multi directional contests
I would consider playing a season with byes in round 7 and 14 or there abouts to keep players fresh.
Independent concussion tests, and post assessments follow up testing,and clearances to play. Procedures on consecutive knocks in a season.

You can't eliminate the risks, but can mitigate them. Inevitably doing nothing will lead to law suits and future generstions playing soccer. SOCCER.

Watching 360 tonight and understanding that the game will inevitably change at some point, what do you think WILLor could be looked at.

Btw if Brownie reads Bigfooty, I wanna have a beer with you.

I say this because King is right in one thing he said, and thst is if we do not evolve the game, parents won't have their kids playing footy in 10 years time and the cost to the game will be greater than doing something in the short term.

I am thinking this:

Reduce teams to 16 and or zone up the field to promote one on one contests which should eliminate many multi directional contests
I would consider playing a season with byes in round 7 and 14 or there abouts to keep players fresh.
Independent concussion tests, and post assessments follow up testing,and clearances to play. Procedures on consecutive knocks in a season.

You can't eliminate the risks, but can mitigate them. Inevitably doing nothing will lead to law suits and future generstions playing soccer. SOCCER.
yet soccer players also get concussions... theres been a lot come out recently about concussions due to soccer players repeatedly headering balls sometimes several times a game and it resulting in concussions.

the AFL is a contact sport.. these incidents like the mookay/clark one are gonna happen no matter what they try and do to stop it.

what they really need to crackdown on hard are the kelly/dangerfield ones.. deliberate acts where the player has no intention at all going the ball, arrives late, tucks the arm in and goes the bump resulting in massive head contact even though danger probably had no intention of getting him high. start giving out lengthy stints (8 weeks +) on the sidelines and stamp it out fast.

yet soccer players also get concussions... theres been a lot come out recently about concussions due to soccer players repeatedly headering balls sometimes several times a game and it resulting in concussions.

the AFL is a contact sport.. these incidents like the mookay/clark one are gonna happen no matter what they try and do to stop it.

what they really need to crackdown on hard are the kelly/dangerfield ones.. deliberate acts where the player has no intention at all going the ball, arrives late, tucks the arm in and goes the bump resulting in massive head contact even though danger probably had no intention of getting him high. start giving out lengthy stints (8 weeks +) on the sidelines and stamp it out fast.
I agree with most of your last paragraph.btw, soccer governing bodies are banning and or limiting headers in juniors particularly training.

Need to stop players driving in head first.

Hunter
Oliver
Macrae are three that drive down with the head
There was the one case Selwood hit the Richmond player because he went in head first and Selwod had perfect approach.

Parents should worry more about getting their kids off of their social media obsessed arses and out on the track.
This is a bigger threat to participation than any perceived nuance of the game.

This threat of code switching has been a phantom menace that just doesn't play out since I was a kid 4 decades ago.

The AFL are just typical corporates trying to protect their bottom line.

Parents should worry more about getting their kids off of their social media obsessed arses and out on the track.
This is a bigger threat to participation than any perceived nuance of the game.

This threat of code switching has been a phantom menace that just doesn't play out since I was a kid 4 decades ago.

The AFL are just typical corporates trying to protect their bottom line.
Did you know about CTE even 10 years ago?

Lol why would parents not let their kids play footy though? Parents saw footy in the 70s and 80s and happily let their children play. Our sport has done a great job of eliminating unnecessary head knocks from the game, it's just the unlucky contact sport necessity ones that still happen and always will.

I think theres a very good chance next year new rules will be brought in that entring a contest at "excessive speed" will be considered a "dangerous act" and a suspendable offence if a head injury occurs. Its inevitable I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think theres a very good chance next year new rules will be brought in that entring a contest at "excessive speed" will be considered a "dangerous act" and a suspendable offence if a head injury occurs. Its inevitable I think.
See this is the wrong way to look at it. There are better ways to transform thr game without creating difficult umpiring situations. But agree the AFL will probably do it

Lol why would parents not let their kids play footy though? Parents saw footy in the 70s and 80s and happily let their children play. Our sport has done a great job of eliminating unnecessary head knocks from the game, it's just the unlucky contact sport necessity ones that still happen and always will.
Having experience a hell of a lot of bullshit from repeated concussions myself, I would consider it.

Did you know about CTE even 10 years ago?

Wouldnt have made much difference to my point of view if I did.
Is participation dying in the arse because of CTE right now?
How many Thousands of people have played this game over the years that haven't ended up with a brain injury?

Edit: *Permanent brain damage.

Last edited:
Wouldnt have made much difference to my point of view if I did.
Is participation dying in the arse because of CTE right now?
How many Thousands of people have played this game over the years that haven't ended up with a brain injury?
A concussion is literally a brain injury.

I got knocked out heavily about 13 times by the age of 23. I get constant migraines, cant do heavy exercise.
From memory, 8yo punched, hit myself in the head with a bird clank gun
14-16 softball, doing a rugby line type jump landed on head.
Three times in juniors.
In my first season of seniors,

Played on in a trial match, groggy all game
Round 4
Round 7 or 8
A few more in the season but wore a helmet and just got dazed but heavily.
The worst ones were the rugby one and the two close together in seniors. Migraines started after that

Last edited:
If the game inevitably transforms it means they aren't listening to the lawyers. It isn't the Mackay contests that need to go, it's the rushed return to play protocols. What will happen is that the AFL will eventually be forced to rub players out for a month for a concussion and then more for each subsequent concussion.

Trying to eliminate collisions in a collision based game is a fools errand but it is the AFL we are talking about.

As I mentioned, and as they mentioned on 360, doing nothingnwill slowly kill the AFL. What balance can we achieve in the short term. These same arguments came in when we cracked down on big 1980 style hits, and bumps, and yet sitill fans go to the gsme.

Yeah.....I'm done

I used to watch at least 5 or 6 games of footy a week.......now I just watch 1.....the Hawthorn game

Totally lost interest in the agenda driven AFL

Only a matter of time before more and more start falling off

A concussion is literally a brain injury.

I got knocked out heavily about 13 times by the age of 23. I get constant migraines, cant do heavy exercise.

Yes, lasting or permanent neurological impairment/brain damage is what I mean.

Dang. All footy?
Was this just real bad luck or the way you played?

There's no reason our game has to change to accommodate the fantasies of the unelected junta at AFL house and some self-important flogs like in the media like King and Whately trying to make it all about them with unnecessary calls that go too far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back