The game will inevitably transform after the Mackay incident at some stage, so what does that look like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Call me old fashioned, but rather then move the game toward less physical contact, why doesn't the AFL just make all players sign a waiver?

-We accept that contact and collision injuries are part of the sport
-We accept the risk of head, neck and concussion injuries, however small
-We accept the risks and ramifications, and consent to playing

Signed: Joe Player

If people don't accept the risks, or they deem the physical risks unacceptable, don't play. That is entirely the players choice. The players are well compensated, they are now well informed, and can choose to either play the game, as is, despite risks, or elect not to entertain the risks and abstain.

I can only assume that the reason that this isn't happening already is because of the overmighty players association.
I assume workplace laws probably require employers to make reasonable efforts to ensure the workplace is hazard free.

am sure someone around here can advise.

Call me old fashioned, but rather then move the game toward less physical contact, why doesn't the AFL just make all players sign a waiver?

-We accept that contact and collision injuries are part of the sport
-We accept the risk of head, neck and concussion injuries, however small
-We accept the risks and ramifications, and consent to playing

Signed: Joe Player

If people don't accept the risks, or they deem the physical risks unacceptable, don't play. That is entirely the players choice. The players are well compensated, they are now well informed, and can choose to either play the game, as is, despite risks, or elect not to entertain the risks and abstain.

I can only assume that the reason that this isn't happening already is because of the overmighty players association.

I'm no lawyer but I assume that wouldn't work as you can then call negligence from the AFL after it. I.E If an electrician gets electrocuted due to company negligence even with signing a waiver he would still have a case for compensation.

The other thing to think about is they are accepting risks that are still being studied and aren't fully understood yet.

I also don't think they are compensated enough, average player is on 300k, which sounds like a lot but if you are only getting that for 5 or 6 years you probably aren't saving enough out of that to counter the 10 plus extra years of retirement you'll need the money for due to potential damages caused.

I'm no lawyer but I assume that wouldn't work as you can then call negligence from the AFL after it. I.E If an electrician gets electrocuted due to company negligence even with signing a waiver he would still have a case for compensation.

The other thing to think about is they are accepting risks that are still being studied and aren't fully understood yet.

I also don't think they are compensated enough, average player is on 300k, which sounds like a lot but if you are only getting that for 5 or 6 years you probably aren't saving enough out of that to counter the 10 plus extra years of retirement you'll need the money for due to potential damages caused.
Also 300k just aint that much anymore when you consider that at 30-32 he starts his career at zero again.

- bloke Starts uni at 18 does mining engineering - finishes at 22 - starts with rio on 150 - by 28-29 hes on 300k and his future is bright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back