The Game with the Loudest Crowd you went to.

Remove this Banner Ad

2001 Champions League final(Bayern Munich vs Valencia) in Milan was deafening. I couldn't even speak to my wife sitting next to me. The noise was piercing your ears. Awesome experience.

Locally, I've been a casual ground attendant at the G for over 25 years. A few games stand out but clearly the Richmond v GWS prelim was the loudest I've heard there. 95k tiger ferals going bonkers....and with obvious good reason.
The Dogs GF was simply hysterical esp when they got that run on in the last qtr. Great scenes. The whole bottom level of the Sth stand was going off.
The 2013 Rich v Carl EF had a great atmosphere. Been to heaps of big European club matches and it reminded me of that.
Honourable mention to the Australia v Uruguay WCQ in Sydney. When Aloisi scored the winning penalty the whole joint went wild.

2017 QF vs Richmond - the crowd was so loud, it was like nothing I'd ever heard before. There was 95k there that night, I reckon 80k of them were Richmond fans who were yelling and screaming at the top of their lungs all night long. While it wasn't pleasant at the time, I've come now to appreciate how amazing the atmosphere was, even if it wasn't Cats fans making the noise

For a Cats crowd, the Zach Tuohy game last year was absolutely insane, throughout the whole game it was incredibly loud and it went to another level when we came back in the last quarter. One of (if not the) best experience I've ever had at a match

That Pies Tigers game was very quiet compared to the Tigers Giants prelim of 2017,if we won that game,then maybe the decibel level would have moved up a few notches.

We have set the benchmark,now for others to play their grand final!
Only a Richmond flog could hijack this thread.

2002 preliminary final: Collingwood vs Adelaide. The roar when Rocca kicked his 75 metre bomb was almost an out of body experience. The noise throughout that game was off the richter scale. The 2011 prelim against Geelong was almost as loud.

Thanks for the video.
I have been told, by many Collingwood supporters who were at the 2002 Prelim, when Rocca kicked his monster torp 75 + metre goal against Adelaide, that it was the biggest single roar they have ever heard at any game. I have also heard some MSM commentators reiterate this opinion. This opinion of Collingwood supporters has been repeated in the last few years (I often ask Collingwood fans, if they were at the game, for their recollections of the Rocca goal).
Some told me they blocked their ears, so loud was the roar.

Can any Adelaide fans/others offer their view on the noise resulting from this goal?

For total noise levels, averaged throughout a whole (ie not just 1 roar) game, the 2017 Richmond V. GWS Prelim. will probably never be beaten. 95,000 success-starved Richmond supporters, salivating the prospect of their first GF appearance since 1980, was a constant wall of sound.

The Cats/Collingwood 2010 one stands out for me. The Collingwood chant was like nothing I'd heard before at a football game.

I rank the Cats QF above the Giants one.

For a H/A game, I would go with 49k Docklands at a Richmond/saints docklands game in 2012. Riewoldt kicks 7 as Richmond beat St Kilda for the first time in 10 years.

The crowd at the 2018 GF was incredible.
It was just as loud at Optus Stadium for the Prelim against Melbourne. Optus stadium really does enhance crowd noise though.
The oldest roar I have ever heard was when Mercuri kicked a goal fir Essendon against Adelaide in the 93 preliminary final.

2017 Prelim was very loud. 95,000 Tiger fans going nuts. It will never be beaten.

The AFL had to play fake crowd noises and a sample of the GWS theme song after they kicked a goal to create atmosphere for them. Pretty sad.

That didn't actually happen though.
Yes it did. They even played the sample of your song when our song was meant to be played because Himmelberg (IIRC) scored a goal after the siren. There was massive uproar about fake crowd noises and your song being played on the PA all over the Richmond board.

3469CEB1-55CD-42FC-9012-00792B56716E.jpeg

It was the most pathetic and embarrassing thing I have ever witnessed. Fortunately you guys barely kicked a goal so we didn’t have to put up with it too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must have a very long nose.
Just accept that your club/the AFL decided to play artificial crowd noises and your song on the PA in the preliminary final. I understand you’re embarrassed by it but there’s no reason to call me a liar when I have provided video evidence to support my claim.

Just accept that your club/the AFL decided to play artificial crowd noises and your song on the PA in the preliminary final. I understand you’re embarrassed by it but there’s no reason to call me a liar when I have provided video evidence to support my claim.
Your lying puts me under no obligation to agree though. The opposite in fact.

Yes it did. They even played the sample of your song when our song was meant to be played because Himmelberg (IIRC) scored a goal after the siren. There was massive uproar about fake crowd noises and your song being played on the PA all over the Richmond board.

View attachment 669044

It was the most pathetic and embarrassing thing I have ever witnessed. Fortunately you guys barely kicked a goal so we didn’t have to put up with it too much.
It wasn't just them. We had our roar sound effect after goals, Geelong had a noticeable one as well. It's what gets played after a goal at home games, not some sort of conspiracy.

It wasn't just them. We had our roar sound effect after goals, Geelong had a noticeable one as well. It's what gets played after a goal at home games, not some sort of conspiracy.
The roar gets played at our home games and the Geelong final was their home game. GWS were the away team so they should not have been entitled to sound effects and artificial crowd noise, especially after the final siren when our song was meant to be playing. The AFL clearly knew the crowd would be one-sided, so they introduced those noises for that game specifically.

The roar gets played at our home games and the Geelong final was their home game. GWS were the away team so they should not have been entitled to sound effects and artificial crowd noise, especially after the final siren when our song was meant to be playing. The AFL clearly knew the crowd would be one-sided, so they introduced those noises for that game specifically.

I didn't hear any additional prerecorded crowd noise.

Just someone playing the wrong club song to begin with.

(Which is known to happen from time to time).

GWS were the away team so they should not have been entitled to sound effects and artificial crowd noise, especially after the final siren when our song was meant to be playing

If the away team shouldn't get any special effects then how come you guys had your drums on the ground when the team ran out at the 17 QF, which as you said, was our home game?

If the away team shouldn't get any special effects then how come you guys had your drums on the ground when the team ran out at the 17 QF, which as you said, was our home game?
Playing drums when we run out is a bit different to the AFL granting GWS access to the PA to play artificial crowd noises and sound effects throughout the whole game.

2017 Prelim Richmond v GWS.
Close thread.
When Richmond ran onto the ground the whole stadium actually shook.
Im pretty sure channel 7 said it was louder than a jet.
Its so rare in our country that a stadium that holds 100K is full of 1 teams supporters.
At best there was 2 thousand GWS supporters there that night.

I didn't hear any additional prerecorded crowd noise.

Just someone playing the wrong club song to begin with.

(Which is known to happen from time to time).
Were you sitting in the GWS cheer squad or something? It was played on the PA every time after they kicked a goal. Sometimes the timing was off as well. They would kick a goal and there would be a five second delay and this crowd noise would start blasting through the speakers.

Playing drums when we run out is a bit different to the AFL granting GWS access to the PA to play artificial crowd noises and sound effects throughout the whole game.

Not really, pre-game activations (drums on the ground) are fairly similar to in-game activations (faux crowd noise)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back