Banter The Gameday Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jake Lloyd was 5 clangers a match in his early years - now he rarely makes mistakes - there’s hope for wayward yet !

He's the most unwatchable Swan we've ever had in my lifetime.
He is a great two way runner. He hits in tackles like an Exocet missile. His pace is a weapon allowing him to be dangerous in space forward. His kicking at goal is suspect. High half forward is IMO the most difficult position to shine for a medium sized forward. Cunningham used to play that role and he got dropped from the side. Cunners reinvented himself as a small defender because he has pace and smarts. He could not use those effectively as a medium forward. It is a very difficult position to play. Small forwards are better crumbers. Tall forwards are better markers. You are in the middle with no definite advantage.
I reckon he deserves some slack from us keyboard warriors.

He is a great two way runner. He hits in tackles like an Exocet missile. His pace is a weapon allowing him to be dangerous in space forward. His kicking at goal is suspect. High half forward is IMO the most difficult position to shine for a medium sized forward. Cunningham used to play that role and he got dropped from the side. Cunners reinvented himself as a small defender because he has pace and smarts. He could not use those effectively as a medium forward. It is a very difficult position to play. Small forwards are better crumbers. Tall forwards are better markers. You are in the middle with no definite advantage.
We can not be talking about the same player if you think Will Hayward tackles like a missile.

In any case I wasn't actually saying he was a spud like some inferred. I said he's the most unwatchable Swan and I stand by that. We have never had a player who has made me say, "I can't watch this..." when he has the ball as much as Hayward has.

We can not be talking about the same player if you think Will Hayward tackles like a missile.

In any case I wasn't actually saying he was a spud like some inferred. I said he's the most unwatchable Swan and I stand by that. We have never had a player who has made me say, "I can't watch this..." when he has the ball as much as Hayward has.

Towers?
Derickx?
Mitchell?

I humbly disagree. I think he tackles to hurt. He hunts players. I like watching him play.

And you know the truth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't watch the games live as I have other s**t going on, so I avoid them so I don't know the result for a few hours or even days after this game has gone full toastie.
I dont watch games, I just run a script counting how many times toasties have been mentioned in the gameday thread. Then triangulate with mentions of horses sacking and negative comments about our midfield then deduce the result.

Towers?
Derickx?
Mitchell?
Hayward is fine in my book. He does some good stuff. He can sometimes take a great mark for his height and his chase is totally committed. He's just a bit inconsistent and sometimes he fluffs gettable set shots. He stands out because his best and his worst are so far apart. He's hardly alone.

The worst thing about Mitchell was he could get his hands on the balll so much, every game. But he'd either handball it to a stationary player a few inches away or kick it high up and under, as if letting the elemental forces of nature decide its fate. Very Zen, but deadly for the poor bastard who found himself camped under it for several minutes giving enough time for all 18 players from the other team to decide which bones they wanted to break. I bet they couldn't watch either

On the plus side, at least for Mitchell, the umpires noticed how many midfield possessions he got. They didn't care which way his disposals went, so when he got enough balls they offered to swap them for a Brownlow. Also, and to be entirely fair to Mitchell, he was prepared to work on some of the flaws in his game, if offered enough $$$$$. His character flaws were a little harder to remove, so he went to Collingwood, where he could blend in among so many other dickheads.

Towers wasn't a bad footballer but his silky ambition surpassed his limited skills. Every opportunity seemed a chance to be a hero, to pull off a miracle play and rise above his limitations. You could almost see his lips moving as he mumbled the mantra, "Am I gonna be a hero or a goat this time? Hero or goat? Hero? Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Poor bugger. Always biting off more than he could chew. If he'd just played good reliable footy he could've been a Ben Matthews, but he wanted to be a Buddy.

Derickx - ??? Really? This is awkward, I know I've watched him play but I just can't picture him playing, at all. He made no impact at all on me. I think I missed his one good game. He was the understudy's understudy.

In general, I like to think I am a cool, logical person who yes has some emotional moments but once that passes can see things, offer solutions and in general good to have in a crisis (quotes from bosses)

Game day threads bring out the absolute ******* worst in me. Every emotion I have is amplified by 1,000 and I am completely insufferable. I'm not like that at the game. I'll cheer for us and swear when the opposition gets something and shout ball with the rest of them but if an opposition player takes a good mark or kicks a solid goal I'll nod and politely clap in respect. In a game day thread? I'm curing out that player, their family, their dog, our coach, the player who was on him, the works.

And one of the reasons I think that is, is because this board feels like my safe space. It's safe for me to be a Swans supporter at my best and at my absolute worst. Maybe it's because I grew up with no other Swans supporters around me and went into an industry where people hate sport as their passion. I am thankful for the Swans board to allow me to be completely unreasonable and ridiculous during a match day thread, to know that's not how I normally am and can have proper logical discussions with me outside of them.

Towers wasn't a bad footballer but his silky ambition surpassed his limited skills. Every opportunity seemed a chance to be a hero, to pull off a miracle play and rise above his limitations. You could almost see his lips moving as he mumbled the mantra, "Am I gonna be a hero or a goat this time? Hero or goat? Hero? Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
I remember he once got a handball receive, broke away at pace, too a bounce but it hit his foot cause he was moving to fast and the ball just rolled away from him or something like that

Sums up Towers in a gif but he his the depth player we missed last year and in the reserves especially.

I’d perhaps grant you top 5.

But in my view, he’s “beaten” in the “cover my eyes, I can’t look” stakes by:

* Tom Hickey having a set shot from 15m out straight in front;

* Lewis Melican taking kick-ins;

* Lewis Taylor “defending”;

* Gerard Bennett with Sherrin in hand; and …. at number 1 ….

* Garry Rohan in any final.

Nah. Dunkley's ball drop was the worst. Lucky to hit his foot most of the time.

I would also add a few uncoordinated ruckmen to the list ... Ricky Mott, Tom Derickx and Paul "Torture" Chambers. One worse than the next.
Chambers!!! That's the bloke I was trying to think of - worst footballer to ever strap on a boot in my humble opinion!
Didn't he once play a whole game for us and not get a single possession? Or did I just imagine the game would have been better if that had actually happened?

Chambers!!! That's the bloke I was trying to think of - worst footballer to ever strap on a boot in my humble opinion!
Didn't he once play a whole game for us and not get a single possession? Or did I just imagine the game would have been better if that had actually happened?
v. Geelong 0 kicks 4 HB
v. Richmond 0 kicks 2 HB
v. Footscray 0 kicks 2 HB

In general, I like to think I am a cool, logical person who yes has some emotional moments but once that passes can see things, offer solutions and in general good to have in a crisis (quotes from bosses)

Game day threads bring out the absolute ******* worst in me. Every emotion I have is amplified by 1,000 and I am completely insufferable. I'm not like that at the game. I'll cheer for us and swear when the opposition gets something and shout ball with the rest of them but if an opposition player takes a good mark or kicks a solid goal I'll nod and politely clap in respect. In a game day thread? I'm curing out that player, their family, their dog, our coach, the player who was on him, the works.

And one of the reasons I think that is, is because this board feels like my safe space. It's safe for me to be a Swans supporter at my best and at my absolute worst. Maybe it's because I grew up with no other Swans supporters around me and went into an industry where people hate sport as their passion. I am thankful for the Swans board to allow me to be completely unreasonable and ridiculous during a match day thread, to know that's not how I normally am and can have proper logical discussions with me outside of them.
I think you have summed this up perfectly. Game day board is a place I can carry on like a pork chop to my hearts content before returning to a relatively sane human being at all other times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back