The Games of 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of RDR2 (which will probably be delayed), does Holiday 2017 seem really slim?

Mario seems the only big game announced so far.
I guess we could see Battlefront 2
God of War would be a surprise to release this year
Detroit might be one?

Surely Microsoft will have something big release in conjunction with Scorpio
Crackdown?

Destiny 2 probably hits this year. It isn't everyone's cup of tea but it will be one of the biggest releases of the year and Bungie's opportunity to right the wrongs of the original.

Forza 7 + Crackdown 3 + Sea of Thieves is probably Microsoft's lineup.

Presumably Nintendo will announce more stuff for holiday 2017 and beyond. A Smash or Pokemon port probably makes sense.

But kind of like when GTA V released, if RDR2 looks like hitting in 2017 I can see pretty much every 3rd person action game getting the hell out of Holiday 2017.

Outside of RDR2 (which will probably be delayed), does Holiday 2017 seem really slim?

Mario seems the only big game announced so far.
I guess we could see Battlefront 2
God of War would be a surprise to release this year
Detroit might be one?

Surely Microsoft will have something big release in conjunction with Scorpio
Crackdown?
Scalebound would of been in that holiday launch. As for god of war very good chance to launch this year, I'd say most companies are holding off announcing release dates, should get some solid dates at E3.

What I'm looking at getting so far, before any E3 announcements.

PS4

Resident Evil 7
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush 2
Parappa The Rapper
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy Remakes
South Park TFBW
Destiny 2
God Of War*
Red Dead Redemption 2*
Prey*

Xbox One
Sea Of Thieves
Crackdown 3
Cuphead
Forza 7

Switch
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Super Bomberman R
Snipperclips
Fast Racing RMX
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
Mario Odysee
Stardew Valley
Rime
Sonic Mania
Yooka Laylee
Wonder Boy: The Dragons Trap
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Xenoblade 2*

*If they release this year.

• Xbox is going to need something big at E3 to convince me on a Scorpio at this stage.
  • Switch becomes my indie platform of choice and i expect a few more games, 1st party and indie, to be added to the list post E3.
  • PS4 will still be the home for 3rd parties with some solid first party offerings. List is probably close to final for my PS4 purchases this year, I expect Sony's E3 will focus on a couple of games like God Of War and Destiny 2 with the rest being 2018 and beyond releases.

In order of hype

Yooka Laylee(why not in the OP :( )
Crash Bandicoot - N-Sane Trilogy
Oddworld-Soulstorm
Super Mario Odyssey
Persona 5
Legend Of Zelda - Breath Of The Wild
South Park - Fractured But Whole
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Unofficial games like Pokemon Stars and Smash Bros Switch I could add if they do come this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PS4

Final Fantasy I-IX Collection
Persona 5

Switch

Zelda BotW
Fast RMX
Snipperclips
Mario Kart 8D
Splatoon 2
Street Fighter II
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Arcade Archives (basically for Double Dragon but a cool little release)

Multiplatform I will get on Switch

I Am Setsuna
Shovel Knight
FIFA 18
NBA 2K18
Yooka Laylee
Disgaea 5
Sonic Mania
Skyrim
Dragonball Xenoverse 2

3DS

Fire Emblem Echoes

I wish the FE game was on Switch, not 3DS, still looks like a good year so far and it's only January. I'm sure there is plenty more unannounced. haven't even made a list for years because there hasn't been enough for me to make a list, but I'm excited to play the new Shovel Knight, Fast RMX, Zelda, Sonic Mania, a new (to me) JRPG or two, Splatoon 2. Also Persona 5.

PS4
Resident Evil 7
Yooka Laylee
South Park
Valkyria Revolution
Nex Machina
Dark Souls 3 Full Edition

Exclusives
Horizon Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush 2
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Persona 5
Yakuza 0
Berserk and the Band of the Hawk
NI-OH
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Danganronpa 1-2 Reload
Detroit: Become Human
Dino Frontier (PSVR)
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Gran Turismo Sport
Knack 2
Dreams
Nier: Automata
Star Trek: Bridge Crew (PSVR)
Starblood Arena (PSVR)
Wipeout Omega Collection
Ys Origin
Danganronpa V3
Shenmue III*
Spider-Man*
God of War*
Days Gone*

Xbox One
Cup Head

Switch/Wii U
Fast RMX
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Snipperclips
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Destiny 2 probably hits this year. It isn't everyone's cup of tea but it will be one of the biggest releases of the year and Bungie's opportunity to right the wrongs of the original.
Or release basically the same thing and laugh as they jump into their pool full of money and watch people sink a million hours in anyway. ;)

Or release basically the same thing and laugh as they jump into their pool full of money and watch people sink a million hours in anyway. ;)

This generation we've seen a lot of sequels that were very aware of the mistakes of their original games (Titanfall 2 & Watchdogs 2 being some recent examples).

The leaks from Kotaku at least point to the game changing things up a bit in terms of structure. So I'm sure Bungie have developed all new ways to frustrate its audience :p

This generation we've seen a lot of sequels that were very aware of the mistakes of their original games (Titanfall 2 & Watchdogs 2 being some recent examples).

The leaks from Kotaku at least point to the game changing things up a bit in terms of structure. So I'm sure Bungie have developed all new ways to frustrate its audience :p
Ignore me, I'm just salty because I know I'll buy it anyway

Ignore me, I'm just salty because I know I'll buy it anyway

I completely get the cynicism even with the acknowledgement that you'll buy it anyway. Destiny was a game with a lot of issues. Bungie talks a big game about being aware of the issues with it and that they listen. This will be their chance to prove it, because Destiny 2 presumably establishes the long term template for the franchise.

Rumours of a new engine provide optimism as the reports were the OG Destiny engine was a nightmare for them.

I completely get the cynicism even with the acknowledgement that you'll buy it anyway. Destiny was a game with a lot of issues. Bungie talks a big game about being aware of the issues with it and that they listen. This will be their chance to prove it, because Destiny 2 presumably establishes the long term template for the franchise.

Rumours of a new engine provide optimism as the reports were the OG Destiny engine was a nightmare for them.
My concern is primarily that Activision are the problem moreso than Bungie. I'm heartened by Bungie's admissions but I fear that Destiny will be marred by many of the same content/release issues until they change publishers.

At the end of the day, for all my complaints about the grind, changes and its lack of story, my primary concern was the stripping of content in order to sustain the game and add additional revenue streams. I don't have any faith in Activision to change the way they operate.

My concern is primarily that Activision are the problem moreso than Bungie. I'm heartened by Bungie's admissions but I fear that Destiny will be marred by many of the same content/release issues until they change publishers.

At the end of the day, for all my complaints about the grind, changes and its lack of story, my primary concern was the stripping of content in order to sustain the game and add additional revenue streams. I don't have any faith in Activision to change the way they operate.

Activision are aware that this is their next big money spinner. Especially as this is the weakest COD has looked in 10+ years. They gave Bungie an extra year (D2 was supposed to be out last September apparently) and keep adding more and more resources to the project. As of right now Activision has Bungie, High Moon Studios and Vicarious Visions all working on Destiny related stuff in some form or another.

Whether those other studios are working on assets for the game, future DLC or the game is development hell and Activision are throwing developers at the game just to get the thing in enough shape to release this year no one knows. But we'll find out in the coming months what is in store.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back