List Mgmt. The Gap

Am I right?

• I'll knock you out, you punk

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The concerning thing is that Rocky, Motlop, Ebert and Watts are our next group to take us forward and I’m not sure that these guys provide the necessary backbone and on field leadership to win us games and take over from Boak, Gray and Westhoff.

That means we have to build around Wines, who also has some serious issues.

Who at Port would you back to get it after the siren? To carry the side on their shoulders and kick the goal that gets us a win or back into it?
Ebert is a good set shot and Rozee is a jet. I wouldn’t trust anyone outside of our backline - Houston, Burton, Hartlett. So if none of our forwards or mids are reliable shots on goal, how will we possibly win?

It is sad to think we are ready for another Primus coach who is prepared to be hit with the big stick for pushing as many kids through as he can.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It is sad to think we are ready for another Primus coach who is prepared to be hit with the big stick for pushing as many kids through as he can.
I’d take Voss for 2 years with Schofield as senior assistant told he’s taking over after that time, if the direction was it’s a rebuild, not an aim for mid-table. Couldn’t stomach Bassett in the role.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
I’d take Voss for 2 years with Schofield as senior assistant told he’s taking over after that time, if the direction was it’s a rebuild, not an aim for mid-table. Couldn’t stomach Bassett in the role.

Fevola’s waiting for the call now the Footy Show’s been axed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Johnson, on the other hand, is a selection based on traits rather than production.
This has to stop though even though I saw merit in the idea of picking Johnson you just can't let tactics override form to that extent in selection.

This has to stop though even though I saw merit in the idea of picking Johnson you just can't let tactics override form to that extent in selection.

And even if you could, the tactical basis for selecting Johnson was shite anyway.

Had to crosspost here, because this data is a hilarious illustration of how having a younger list, requiring us to play younger players, usually seems to make us a better team

-----
Here's Ports Average List Age under Hinkley vs Finishing Position:

2013 - 48.6 games (14th) - finished 5th
2014 - 54.4 games (15th) - finished 3rd
2015 - 62 games (8th) - finished 9th
2016 - 66.9 games (6th) - finished 10th
2017 - 62.2 games (9th) - finished 7th
2018 - 72.5 games (2nd) - finished 9th
2019 - 68.8 games (6th) - currently 11th

So under Hinkley, the two years we've peformed best, we were among the youngest lists in the league.

The seasons we've been most dissatisfied with we've finished outside the eight, and with our oldest lists under Hinkley.

Even when we made the finals in 2017, it was after a drop in our average list age.
-----

Even if you look at it conservatively, maybe it indicates that whatever gameplan Hinkley is trying to implement is largely a young man's game.

Had to crosspost here, because this data is a hilarious illustration of how having a younger list, requiring us to play younger players, usually seems to make us a better team

-----
Here's Ports Average List Age under Hinkley vs Finishing Position:

2013 - 48.6 games (14th) - finished 5th
2014 - 54.4 games (15th) - finished 3rd
2015 - 62 games (8th) - finished 9th
2016 - 66.9 games (6th) - finished 10th
2017 - 62.2 games (9th) - finished 7th
2018 - 72.5 games (2nd) - finished 9th
2019 - 68.8 games (6th) - currently 11th

So under Hinkley, the two years we've peformed best, we were among the youngest lists in the league.

The seasons we've been most dissatisfied with we've finished outside the eight, and with our oldest lists under Hinkley.

Even when we made the finals in 2017, it was after a drop in our average list age.
-----

Even if you look at it conservatively, maybe it indicates that whatever gameplan Hinkley is trying to implement is largely a young man's game.

This is why you can't count the early form of Duursma, Butters and Rozee too highly. It's just as likely they'll stagnate or turn into garbage. Our draftees rarely kick on after bright starts.

Back