• Extra great

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Even greater than Essendon's winless finals streak

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • I just want milk that tastes like real milk

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Gardy the one who was throwing up in the rooms before games?
Hopefully his nerves have settled a bit now. Brodie Moles was a chucker too, sadly I don't think it subsided for him.

TBH I though Dougal Howard was a better comparison - less about intercept marks but just manages to get a spoil in when he's out of position.

Really good closing speed and by all accounts he's in the Matty Boyd/Dale Morris category of trainer.
Do we know how he rates in the sprint tests within the club. There were a couple of occasions last year where, if iirc, he showed more toe than a Roman sandal.

Not only is he in the top 5 for spoils, of those in the top 5 he is ranked 1st for spoil efficiency...

70.9% - RYAN GARDNER
70.7% - J. Weitering
67.3% - S. Collins
64.7% - S. Taylor
53.5% - D. Howard

Spoil efficiency is defined as...
The percentage of spoils that end up in a teammate's possession or a stoppage (killing the play).
This is really good to read as it was one of my criticisms early days that even though he was spoiling a lot he never killed the contest more often than not it’d put us in a dangerous position. But from the eye and stats back this up, that’s much improved this year.

Would be keen to see goals conceded stats if you’ve got access to them?

His 1-on-1 win rate is roughly 75% (has lost only 5 out of 19 this year) which in our system and with some of the entry oppo have had this year thats fantastic - and in reality this is the one thing I want from him and care about.

If he can add marking to his game which he’s doing a little bit well great but aiming to be one of the best stoppers in the game should be his target (not saying he’ll get this level but this should be his goal first and foremost)

Massive props to him, I was wrong once again 😂

So keen to get Keath back alongside him and see if he can be the gel that lets Obrien/Keath do what they do best

It's not that I never bagged him, but I never understood the knock on his kicking. You could tell pretty early he was a good kick but he'd stuff up due to nerves/lack of composure. That always settles down once a player adjusts to the pace of the game and becomes more used to the pressure... something he is still working on, but he is a lot better at already.

Great teams have a defender that can win you games. Bump this when some of those spoils turn into contested marks

So was Bones McGhie, for his whole career.

188 games, 2 flags, 3 clubs.

5 million darts. :D
My best friend in primary school lived next to him for a while. Good guy, gave away a few footballs to poor kids in the area.

It's not that I never bagged him, but I never understood the knock on his kicking. You could tell pretty early he was a good kick but he'd stuff up due to nerves/lack of composure. That always settles down once a player adjusts to the pace of the game and becomes more used to the pressure... something he is still working on, but he is a lot better at already.
I think he's become a Morris-style kicker - works within his limitations and adjusts his decision making accordingly. He'll get better with time.

I think he's become a Morris-style kicker - works within his limitations and adjusts his decision making accordingly. He'll get better with time.
100% correct he always just takes the short 30m kick to the guy under no pressure and he hits it every time now. Players like Gards are what you need role players who you know what you're going to get and not much fluctuation from their best and worst

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no doubt he's a confidence player. In the past, when he made a mistake (of which there were plenty), his facial expressions and body language clearly showed how disappointed he was in himself. He certainly wore his emotions on his sleeve. Now, because he has more self- belief realising that the selectors and team have faith in him, we see him becoming more assertive and correspondingly, the mistakes have reduced.
I think there's still some growth in his game which will be interesting to observe going forward. Good luck to him.

If Mick Gayfer was known as the glove for his tight checking in the 80s I think Ryan should be known as "The Fist" for his spoiling his attempts to mark are as scarce as hens teeth. Not a criticism you play to your strengths. I for one could not agree with Bevo selecting him up to last season but I can see a role for "The Fist" now.

Last edited:
It’s a bit weird that there was a couple of times against the Bombres that Wright was the target, but I knew Gards was in the vicinity and would come over the top.

Looked like he was set for a mark, then POW

Back