Podcast The Geelong Board PodCast - Episode 9 now available - Trade Period Wrap + Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I think ideally it's kept to under an hour. If you ran them weekly half an hour would probably be fine, but every few weeks I can see how they need to expand to fit it all in.

I personally love the intro!

One idea that we had in the old setup with Gysenn was to run a little 'history' segment each week. I even recorded an intro for it but we never used it. Just a few minutes each episode and people could submit a question or suggestion and we could discuss.

I love the intro as well so don't really want to change it

I guess the main thing is are people listening, do they enjoy them etc

I call out for people to be involved and to offer suggestions and don't get much in the way of answer.

Hi All

Thought I would put out the feelers for some feedback given we have now had 5 or so shows.
If people had the time and energy to help would be most appreciated.

Having been on the North one and seen how they do it I wanted to see what we thought, areas we can improve, suggestions etc etc

Firstly do we need a proper name for the show?
Do we have a preferred opener? I just ripped off the Cat Attack song that the last version had used
Ideal running time?
Should we have regular segments and what would they be?
What is the ideal frequency of shows? Fortnightly etc etc

and any posters that should be on the show (or that I should approach to be on)

All help appreciated, people can PM answers or just post away here!

Cheers
Willo

Firstly do we need a proper name for the show? No
Do we have a preferred opener? The current one is fine
Ideal running time? 30 minutes , 40 max, best way to manage run time is to not ask everyone to answer each question
Should we have regular segments and what would they be? no, stick to what ever is topical, the more formulatic it is the more it feels like it's being padded for length
What is the ideal frequency of shows? More frequent smaller shows would be better

and any posters that should be on the show (or that I should approach to be on) Plenty, but I don't want to put anyone on the spot beyond the usual people that get tagged.

Also try to bring in some of the more "controversial" posters every once in a while

IT's BACK!!!

The Geelong Board PodCast returns for another show creatively titles 'This was only meant to go for 40 minutes'

As you cluey types may gather the plan was to only go for 40 mins... we went over a little :D

Joining me this show was international man of mystery dazbroncos and making his podcast debut board royalty in Pivo
(apologies for a bit of occasional audio skipping, completely my fault)
This week we briefly touch on our losses this year, take a look at tonights game against the Swans. We also touch on Mots and Vards.
Enjoy

Sound cloud link here

(hopefully)

and for those of you with iTunes it should be available on the BigFootyCats page or channel or whatever it is called soon if not already.

Stanley has improved and has performed better than Vardy ever has. I assume the comparison you were looking at was for their entire careers. The problem with that is that Stanley spent a considerable amount of time at the Saints, and at the Saints he wasn't always playing in the ruck - he spent a lot of time playing forward and was even tried down back. That's why you get the result of Vardy's HO numbers being better. But if you compare Stanley's 2016 to Vardy's overall averages - or any specific year you want - he's well in front in just about all stats: disposals, marks, HOs, I50s. They're even on tackles and Vardy is an ever-so-slightly more prolific goalkicker. Given we are talking about how much Stanley has improved, I don't think we gain a lot from incorporating stats from his St. Kilda days, especially taking into account the various positions he was playing in for them.

There's little doubt in my mind that what Stanley has produced in the early part of 2015 and for much of 2016 has been better than any season Vardy has played, though Stanley's form has definitely waned since his last injury and Smith has turned into the better ruckman. Still, the reverse was true earlier in the year and we were far more reliant on him than we ever have been on Vardy. It's hard to judge Vardy, of course, because it's been so hard to get any kind of prolonged exposure to what he can do. Whenever he seems to be building form, he gets injured.

Stanley has improved and has performed better than Vardy ever has. I assume the comparison you were looking at was for their entire careers. The problem with that is that Stanley spent a considerable amount of time at the Saints, and at the Saints he wasn't always playing in the ruck - he spent a lot of time playing forward and was even tried down back. That's why you get the result of Vardy's HO numbers being better. But if you compare Stanley's 2016 to Vardy's overall averages - or any specific year you want - he's well in front in just about all stats: disposals, marks, HOs, I50s. They're even on tackles and Vardy is an ever-so-slightly more prolific goalkicker. Given we are talking about how much Stanley has improved, I don't think we gain a lot from incorporating stats from his St. Kilda days, especially taking into account the various positions he was playing in for them.

There's little doubt in my mind that what Stanley has produced in the early part of 2015 and for much of 2016 has been better than any season Vardy has played, though Stanley's form has definitely waned since his last injury and Smith has turned into the better ruckman. Still, the reverse was true earlier in the year and we were far more reliant on him than we ever have been on Vardy. It's hard to judge Vardy, of course, because it's been so hard to get any kind of prolonged exposure to what he can do. Whenever he seems to be building form, he gets injured.
Yep, it was over the career but I think I mentioned at the end of it that on the eye test, Stanley is on the upward trend while Vardy isn't (or words to that effect).

When I raised it, it was more as a curiosity but I suspect it might not have come across that way (I haven't listened back over it).

I think we all agreed that Stanley looks the better of the two right now.

Well done guys... a lot of interesting points covered. Apart from the occasional popping..could have listed to more easily.

Piv ... re dropping games v the bottom clubs. I think the top 8 self focus point is a good one , and the up and comers being able to focus on what they need to do to shut down the strengths in the top side. I think its very subtle differences that is doing it... there was plenty of noise pre the Saints game about being mentally ready etc. Was it all just platitudes? I don't think so..its a few things that all show up together. Missing goals. is one. Add the evenness of the comp , and the freshness and tiredness of the sides play a bigger role , and then there its a blurry line between confidence and arrogance.

That sort of roles into the plodders discussion... the type of player that plays well v us , that perhaps we undersell a bit and they get a freeway to perform. Everitt must love playing Geelong.

Willo_ spot on re Buddy.. his mobility in the Swans role hurts the Lonergan matchup. Blitz? Henderson?

Motlop discussion..interesting.. If the another side finds something that works..it will be repeated. Hard tag etc.
To me he is not a manufactured player..does he really know how to make it happen , or does he just play instinctive football and when it doesn't work he has no way of building a game. What he brings to us is a pointer to what we lack.. sort of why Cockatoo has come in.

Daz ..spot re Vardy... the knee reco thing (12months) roles into my concern re Thurlow. Sands thru the hour glass LOL.. These are the days of our Vardy..
The Lynch comparison is a good one and re Stanley... games played and eye test re- mobility.. playing next to each other I doubt they would look the same. My take v Walker I doubt their potential presents as the same..things like Walkers kicking and his slight awkwardness play his value down.. Walker in the ruck was not really a legit option.

Thumbs up guys.

Last edited:
I love the podcasts so thank you to everyone who takes the time to put them on. I'll be listening tonight before the game.
I'd love to be involved in the future I'm just struggling too much for time at he moment. Keep up the great work.

I listened back to a bit before, apologies again for the skipping issues... i forgot just how shitty my laptop was and pushed it's limitations not paying attention to what I was doing properly.. Won't happen again hopefully

Willo, you'd be proud. A made it through 10 minutes! :)
Admittedly it was 2am.

I like Pivo's theory on why sides like St Kilda can roll us.

Any theory has to be compatible with why good sides have trouble beating us and unlike most theories, yours is.

Yep, that was why I liked it too.

I find the "it's all effort-based" dismissals of those results ludicrously reductive, as there's so much more to the game than that, especially at the top level, but you're right, any theory about why we lose to the bottom sides needs to include an explanation as to why the top sides don't just follow the same formula. Pivo's logic makes sense to me.

Great installment guys.

Just had a listen while on a morning walk. The segment titles "misunderstood genius or selfish prick" and "looking for love in all the wrong places" gave me a laugh (and caused some passers by to wonder if I was a bit loopy :D).

Interesting input from all 3 of you. Well done. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks guys. Another good effort and good to hear a couple I haven't heard from before. Newbie that I am.
I concur on the Vardy front. I reckon he's off and thought myself when we hired so many big fellas that Vards was in a bit of strife.
I still think we can fit STanley, Smith, Clark and Hawk in. As well as Kersten.
Mots on the other hand, I think he is laconic and just wants to play at his best around finals time. May give us a big shock when he fires up at the right time of the season.
Reckon you should give Menegola a bit of a run. He could be a wonderful footballer, and it would be great if Geelong (His third team) gave him his first run and he showed us his worth.
Midfield extravaganza with Selwood J &S, Danger, Guthrie, Cads, Blitz, Duncan, Menegola and Motlop. Could shore our defense up with Gutthers and put Mots further forward to cause some scoring havoc with Cocky and Menz.
Try and rattle these issues at some point.
Cheers for your outstanding efforts Willo and thanks Daz for your international timeline efforts

Just listening to this now and up to the point about Minchington performing well against Geelong in two straight games, and other similar-type players (e.g. Everitt) doing likewise. To me that supports that it is less about attitude and effort and more that we have glaring weaknesses in certain areas of the ground which certain players and teams tend to capitalise on.

Just listening to this now and up to the point about Minchington performing well against Geelong in two straight games, and other similar-type players (e.g. Everitt) doing likewise. To me that supports that it is less about attitude and effort and more that we have glaring weaknesses in certain areas of the ground which certain players and teams tend to capitalise on.
It is the expected outcome when the coach says things like "we don't tend to worry too much about the opposition; we are focussed on what we do well."

Players get under your guard.

It is the expected outcome when the coach says things like "we don't tend to worry too much about the opposition; we are focussed on what we do well."

Just thinking about this ... do we think the last two weeks "we have lets certain players get under our guard" ? .. perhaps we have been more player specific. Bews coming in for Betts etc

Just thinking about this ... do we think the last two weeks "we have lets certain players get under our guard" ? .. perhaps we have been more player specific. Bews coming in for Betts etc
Could be. I'm not sure we would have brought Bews in had it been a final though.

I just don't trust that kind of rhetoric from a press conference (or tweet the coach for that matter)

Could be. I'm not sure we would have brought Bews in had it been a final though.

I think they're just cycling a few depth players through the team to see if any of them take their chances. Giving them 3-5 games to see if they settle into a role.

I just don't trust that kind of rhetoric from a press conference (or tweet the coach for that matter)
I wouldn't take any notice of hearing it once or twice but it's something of a mantra for Scott.

I wouldn't take any notice of hearing it once or twice but it's something of a mantra for Scott.

He must really be bored during the week, doesn't take training, doesn't look at the opposition, has Lloyd to make the gameplan and a whole committee to pick the team. At least he has pinball on his computer to take up his time, by now he must be very good at it. Also explains why everyone else is so calm during the game when he goes nuts they are busy actually coaching while he is just sitting there trying to look busy.

He must really be bored during the week, doesn't take training, doesn't look at the opposition, has Lloyd to make the gameplan and a whole committee to pick the team. At least he has pinball on his computer to take up his time, by now he must be very good at it. Also explains why everyone else is so calm during the game when he goes nuts they are busy actually coaching while he is just sitting there trying to look busy.
200w.gif

(Any excuse for The Gif) :D

IT IS TIME FOR ANOTHER PODCAST!!!

So any volunteers? I have a bit on so would love to not have to chase people up for it.. May get a brisbane guest as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back