The General and Random Football Questions Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Over on the FJGD board, there's a thread where posters can ask general questions regarding FJGD related things and have them answered by knowledgable members of the community. Often these are niche questions where a simple Google search may not provide the answer they are looking for

I thought I'd create a similar thread here, where anyone is welcome to ask questions about football-related things and hopefully have them answered. Ideally this would not be a thread for asking questions such as 'why was that a free kick' (which belong in the Umpires board) but rather more random questions which are harder to find answers to

I'll kick things off with a couple of questions for the community:
  • When Wayne Harmes and Ken Sheldon combined for the famous goal in the '79 GF, did Sheldon pick the ball up and kick it through, or soccer the ball through for a goal?
  • When James Hird kicked the winning goal against West Coast in 2004, Stephen Quartermain says 'after a horror week'. What exactly happened during the previous week?

Last edited:
Good idea for a thread btw.

• When James Hird kicked the winning goal agains West Coast in 2004, Stephen Quartermain says 'after a horror week'. What exactly happened during the previous week?

The previous Thursday night he was on The Footy Show and commented that a particular umpire was pretty bad. When pressed on it he named Scott McLaren and of course the panel had a field day with it. I believe he was fined by the AFL the next day for the comment and it culminated in him hugging the fan after kicking the winning goal in the last quarter to go with like 10 possessions or something like that. Was a clear BOG as he kept Essendon in the game and then singlehandedly won it in the last.

Interesting footnote - Hird did not received a single Brownlow vote for that game.

Why is the AFL media of such a horrendously low standard? eg. Purple, Deerwaynne, Eddie Neandethal McGuire, Tom who Morris, Gerrarrd delusions of grandeur Whateley, Bruce delicious McAvaney.

My question - why is it six points for a goal?
My understanding is it came from an early rule where the team kicking a goal would receive one point for each opposition player in the backline (Or to that effect). The idea behind this was to prevent teams from simply flooding their backline.
I don’t know what prompted the change but the reason for 6 is that - traditionally - there are 6 defenders.

Could easily be wrong though.

My question - why is it six points for a goal?
My understanding is it came from an early rule where the team kicking a goal would receive one point for each opposition player in the backline (Or to that effect). The idea behind this was to prevent teams from simply flooding their backline.
I don’t know what prompted the change but the reason for 6 is that - traditionally - there are 6 defenders.

AFL was a sport designed to keep cricketers fit during the off season. The 6 points comes from the "6" concept from cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should trial that now! End to flooding!! Another goal by the suns. This time worth 18’points

Why is Coventry (1299 goals) not revered as a legendary figure of the game, like Coleman, Lockett, EJ, Skilton, Barassi, Hudson, Farmer etc.

Why don't we always hear stories about Coventry?

Why is Coventry (1299 goals) not revered as a legendary figure of the game, like Coleman, Lockett, EJ, Skilton, Barassi, Hudson, Farmer etc.

Very very few who remember seeing him in action are alive today.

Dunno? What did he ever do?
First player to kick 100 in a season
First player to kick 1000 in a career
First player to play 300 games
First player to play in 5 flags
First player to play in 10 Grand Finals
First player to kick 100 goals in finals.
Kicked 9 in a GF - still the equal record

No statue at the MCG

One end at Etihad named after him, but one club even covers up his name with someone’s else when they play.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back